Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 10:58:07 PM EDT
I guess I'm posting this a little late, like 5 years too late, but was the sniper duel between the Russian and German snipers ever determined to have been real?  Was there really a German super-sniper in Stalingrad, and was he killed by the Russian sniper?

BTW I didn't post this in the movie forum b/c the question is about the sniper duel, not the movie itself, I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the concensus is that the Snipers were real, but the dual wasn't necessarly real.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I wasnt there but, yes the dual between Zietsev and Konieg (sp?) happened. Prehaps not just like the movie.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny you posted this. I just watched this last night in my hooch. Pretty good movie and Rachel Weis is fooking HOT!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
What was up with that love scene. She looked like she was in pain.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ask a woman how she feels about having your ice-cold hands groping her breasts someday.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
It was real,there was a duel,i am sure the movie is not very accurate, but they did go at it. sthe History Channel has a show about it.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
There is no German record of a Major Konig ever being in the German army let a lone as  their top sniper.

Sniper duels were common in the battle more likely this story was one of the many used for propaganda.

Still a decent movie.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There is no German record of a Major Konig ever being in the German army let a lone as  their top sniper.

Sniper duels were common in the battle more likely this story was one of the many used for propaganda.

Still a decent movie.

There was a German sniper sent after him, dont know his name but that is what the movie was based on.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#9]
In the movie the German "Top Sniper" , Major Konig was sent to kill the Russian.

Again, there is no record of this German solider existing.

Every German sniper in the city was probably sent after him, who knows who the Russian shot......

I don't doubt the story of the shooting, but the premis that Konig was sent there to take him out has no evidence to really support it.

Again, as far as movies go it is decent.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Now i am going to have to buy tht HC video to see what it was they said.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#11]
The book was better than the movie.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes it was a real part of history, but maybe not movie history
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well,she could have been a virgin but more likely was expressing how bad they both smelled.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:51:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Read a book "Stalingrad" years ago and it had a story about the sniper duel.  Not sure if it was the same book the movie was bases on of not.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I remember reading a book called "The War of the Rats" a few years ago, that claimed to be a historical account of this duel.  I believe they said that Major Koenig was not known to be his real name.  

In the book he was shot while he was in hiding under the steel roofing material they show him emerging from in the movie right before he was shot.  The Russian sniper found his hide and staked it out waiting for him to appear.

I thought the way it ended in the movie was completely gay.  Why would the German have completely broken tradecraft and jumped up out of his hole to go see who he shot?  Nowhere else in the movie do snipers run up on their kills like they're whitetail hunters in Kentucky.  

The book also never mentioned a love interest, but there was the little boy and he was acting as a double agent which got him killed.

Speaking of topics this movie brought up...  Was it just me, or was it REALLY hard to pull for one side over the other in this movie?  An army of genocidists fighting an army of genocidists...

As an ethnic German I just found myself feeling badly for the poor bastards in sixth army that Hitler and that toady Von Paulus abandoned to die in that hellhole for no good reason.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I think if I ever see another sniper verses sniper where one shoots the other in the eye through the scope first I'll vomit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I remember reading a book called "The War of the Rats" a few years ago, that claimed to be a historical account of this duel.  I believe they said that Major Koenig was not known to be his real name.  

In the book he was shot while he was in hiding under the steel roofing material they show him emerging from in the movie right before he was shot.  The Russian sniper found his hide and staked it out waiting for him to appear.

I thought the way it ended in the movie was completely gay.  Why would the German have completely broken tradecraft and jumped up out of his hole to go see who he shot?  Nowhere else in the movie do snipers run up on their kills like they're whitetail hunters in Kentucky.  

The book also never mentioned a love interest, but there was the little boy and he was acting as a double agent which got him killed.

Speaking of topics this movie brought up...  Was it just me, or was it REALLY hard to pull for one side over the other in this movie?  An army of genocidists fighting an army of genocidists...

As an ethnic German I just found myself feeling badly for the poor bastards in sixth army that Hitler and that toady Von Paulus abandoned to die in that hellhole for no good reason.

funny, I've got that book in front of me and I just re-read it four days ago, it does have Zaitsev having a fling with the woman that he trained, and the german snipers name is Thorvald.

great book though.  and that movie pissed me off to no end with the "high noon shootout" ending bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Read the book the movie was based on "War of the Rats".  Much better than the movie.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think if I ever see another sniper verses sniper where one shoots the other in the eye through the scope first I'll vomit.

Agreed.  We saw the same scene in Sniper (w/Tom Berringer) and in Saving Private Ryan.  Highly unlikely it could have happened 3 times....wait...these are only movies...wait...yeah, it could easily happen 3 times...IN THE MOVIES.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#20]
A tidbit-  the German Snipers "Name" in the movie translates to..."Major King"

Part of generateding a villian, I suppose.

Watching that movie with my wife she dropped this gem-

"That love story was stupid.  You could tell it was just thrown in there to get girls to
be ok with the movie.  It was insulting!"

I love my wife
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

"That love story was stupid.  You could tell it was just thrown in there to get girls to

I love my wife

the love story was part of the book that the movie was based on, its pretty much the only part of the book they got right.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Still a decent movie.

What records are you using for your post ?  I'm not saying that your wrong , I'm just curious
about the database and how to access it .
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love my wife

the love story was part of the book that the movie was based on, its pretty much the only part of the book they got right.

Color me stunned then.  I thought it was retarded and contrived.

They should've made it a different movie then.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:23:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask a woman how she feels about having your ice-cold hands groping her breasts someday.

I do it every day - pain/pleasure thing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top