Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:41:25 AM EDT
There is a video of the "raid" at the news website below

Tentative settlement reached in school drug raid

(Charleston-AP) December 21, 2005 - Stratford High School students who were in a hallway when Goose Creek police officers drew their guns during a drug sweep have reached a tentative settlement with the school district.
The tentative agreement says that the students would receive between $2,000 and $15,000 each to settle lawsuits from the raid.

Surveillance video from November 5th, 2003 from Stratford High School in Goose Creek shows 14 officers with guns drawn watching the students who were handcuffed and made to sit against the walls. Police dogs sniffed the students' backpacks. No drugs were found, and no drug-related arrests were made.

Also, the state did not file charges against the officers, but the state attorney general says called the raid "highly inappropriate."

62 students and their families filed lawsuits claiming police and school officials violated students' constitutional rights.

The video is at this link
www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4272846&nav=0RaP

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that cop was on the Penn and Teller show, the one about the war on drugs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Now if they'll just beat, mace, tase, and fire the moronic Nazi bastards, equilibrium will be restored to the universe.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Now if they'll just beat, mace, tase, and fire the moronic Nazi bastards, equilibrium will be restored to the universe.

[sarcasm on] They were just teaching them who is in charge and how to submit properly. Every kid should learn it's ok to have a gun drawn on you while you are being put in flex cuffs so they can search your person and property.[sarcasm off]

I'm pretty sure it has been determined that searching students bags, lockers, and vehicles while on school grounds without a warrant or probable cause is constitutional (can't remember if there was a SCOTUS ruling or not). It might not be right but the powers that be say it is ok

Check out the picture again. I first thought was some kind of riot helmet on the officer, I think it is actually his HI HIGH and TIGHT haircut.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[sarcasm on] They were just teaching them who is in charge and how to submit properly. Every kid should learn it's ok to have a gun drawn on you while you are being put in flex cuffs so they can search your person and property.[sarcasm off]

I'm pretty sure it has been determined that searching students bags, lockers, and vehicles while on school grounds without a warrant or probable cause is constitutional (can't remember if there was a SCOTUS ruling or not). It might not be right but the powers that be say it is ok

Check out the picture again. I first thought was some kind of riot helmet on the officer, I think it is actually his HI and TIGHT haircut.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=43878

They wanted to start searching kids cars that were parked ajacent to school property without warrants around here last spring. Where will it end?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I would like it much better if the cops themselves had to pay the fine instead of the taxpayers. Maybe a few might actually learn something then.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#6]

No drugs were found

That's what I find the most ridiculous part.  I don't blame the police at all.  They were lied to by the principal.  He told them he knew of students that had drugs in his school, and he claimed that he knew some of them that carried large amounts of cash and were armed.  The police acted appropriately based upon the information they were given.  He was proved wrong.  From what several teachers and students said afterwards in interviews, they were very consistent in their stories that they had never seen drugs, guns, or large amounts of cash at school.  One teacher used the phrase "lives in a fantasy world" to describe the principal.  That sounds correct.

The one good thing to come out of this is that Berkely county schools and many other districts in the state now require a school to attempt contact a student's parent before the police can conduct an interrogation.  Also, they no longer allow the police to use animals to attack students.  Several local kids have been hurt by police animals, but I can't remember if any kids were hurt by animals in this particular incidence.  I don't think the police should have them around kids anyway, but not allowing the police to have their animals close to the students is a start.z
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I just watched the video.
Looks like they rounded up the entire school, backed them up against the walls and floor in the hall and ran the dogs over everything. All of while they have their guns drawn and numerous students in cuffs. This is just unbelievable, what possible justification could there be to subject those kids to that type of heavy handed and dangerous treatment? Since no drugs or contraband were found and this was not some ultra dangerous inner-city school what the hell were they thinking by conducting this kind of a raid? If the possible presence of drugs in a school is justification for this action remember no school anywhere is free of drugs and hence open to police raids with drawn guns. Think about that and your kids before anyone tries to defend this raid. Cops have negligent discharges just like everyone else not to mention the possibility of some 15 year old kid getting shot because he panicked or made a bad judgment under stress.
I’m not a cop basher but looking at that video I could not stop thinking how the term JBT fitted what I watched. There are much better ways of handling drugs in schools than full blown gun in hand police raids.
The cops made a lot of lifelong “friends” that day, good job guys.

Rich V
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No drugs were found

That's what I find the most ridiculous part.  I don't blame the police at all.  They were lied to by the principal.  He told them he knew of students that had drugs in his school, and he claimed that he knew some of them that carried large amounts of cash and were armed.  The police acted appropriately based upon the information they were given.  He was proved wrong.  From what several teachers and students said afterwards in interviews, they were very consistent in their stories that they had never seen drugs, guns, or large amounts of cash at school.  One teacher used the phrase "lives in a fantasy world" to describe the principal.  That sounds correct.

The one good thing to come out of this is that Berkely county schools and many other districts in the state now require a school to attempt contact a student's parent before the police can conduct an interrogation.  Also, they no longer allow the police to use animals to attack students.  Several local kids have been hurt by police animals, but I can't remember if any kids were hurt by animals in this particular incidence.  I don't think the police should have them around kids anyway, but not allowing the police to have their animals close to the students is a start.z

You really think it is appropriate to point a firearm at random kids in a school? It doesn't matter what the story from the principal was -- how were these particular kids a threat?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
What bullshit. Why don't cops ever seriously get it in the shorts over stuff like this?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]

what possible justification could there be to subject those kids to that type of heavy handed and dangerous treatment?

Don't blame the cops.  They acted appropriately on the information that the principal gave them.  You tell any cop that you know you have a large number of suspects on drugs, have drugs in their possession, carry large amounts of cash, have guns, and maybe are members of a gang, then what are they going to do?  They're going to do exactly what these guys did.  Blame the principal for the fantasy he portrayed to the cops.z
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

what possible justification could there be to subject those kids to that type of heavy handed and dangerous treatment?

Don't blame the cops.  They acted appropriately on the information that the principal gave them.  You tell any cop that you know you have a large number of suspects on drugs, have drugs in their possession, carry large amounts of cash, have guns, and maybe are members of a gang, then what are they going to do?  They're going to do exactly what these guys did.  Blame the principal for the fantasy he portrayed to the cops.z

Yeah.
I want the cops who "protect" me to defer their judgment to that of an educational bureaucrat.  

Those cops should have known better.
Pointing your firearm at anybody and everybody is an example of poor training and poor judgment.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#12]
The local word is that the kids who were dealing drugs had lookouts outside.  When the police cars started pulling into the parking lot all it took was a quick call on a cell phone and the kids with the drugs vacated that hall where they were "known" to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were kids dealing drugs in Stratford.  It's a big school, and that activity is pretty common.  The problem is that everybody from the principal to the PD underestimated the kids they were after.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, kids on the floor, handcuffed, are a real threat. I'll bet it made those cops feel real tough to get to draw down on a bunch of kids. That type of tactic will lead to the next headline: "Officer Accidentally Kills Handcuffed Student".
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The principle should be charged with making a false report.  The LEOs just made a huge percentage of those kids anti-police for life
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Guess what there are a large number of people illegally driving on suspended licenses, driving with drugs in their vehicles and driving with guns in their vehicles.  Should the cops pull over, cuff, and search every vehicle?  After all they would only be acting appropriately given the information.  That's exactly what you are saying and it's bullshit.  

If the principal was giving that type of information the cops should have then asked for names and gone from there.  Detaining, cuffing, and point guns at the entire student body is rediculous.  It would be nice if people got fired over this but I don't see that happening.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Guess what there are a large number of people illegally driving on suspended licenses, driving with drugs in their vehicles and driving with guns in their vehicles. Should the cops pull over, cuff, and search every vehicle?

But if someone in a respected public position tells the cop that the person does, then do you think the cops should pull the person over and search the car?

It would be nice if people got fired over this but I don't see that happening.

The principal did lose his job.  That story was posted here.  He admitted to making-up a story about seeing students with drugs.  He lied to get the police to react.  He just went too far, and they overreacted.z
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#17]
More "I was just following orders" And we all know who used that same phrase 60 years ago.

Fucking idiots seriously, god damn dumbass lemmings.  Stupid ass cops didnt even ask for anything that could be remotely considered evidence before being JBTs?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Being stupid is expensive for LEAs

At least the cops all went home without kick-me signs, wedgies, or spitballs in their hair.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Zoom,
Lets suppose that there were drug dealing armed students in the school what would be the proper approach? Go in with guns drawn looking randomly for “some armed drug dealer” and hope you don’t start a firefight in a crowded school or wait for specific info to be found on who is a suspect and arrest him in a controlled and safe environment? Please note the police were not called in on a life or death situation they were called in because some students may be dealing drugs and may be armed.
There is no way to justify treating every kid in that school as a armed and dangerous criminal when you know beyond a doubt that >90% of those kid are completely innocent teenagers.
Please tell me how you would react if you were at a shopping mall with your family and the police storm the mall with guns drawn and force everyone at gunpoint to lay on the floor and be searched because the manager of the mall thought there were people dealing drugs and may be armed?
I would be outraged and looking for someone’s head if it was my family.
The cops have to know how dangerous this type of raid would be regardless of what they were told by the superintendent. Yes I do blame the cops!

Rich V
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Being stupid is expensive for LEAs the local taxpayers

At least the cops all went home without kick-me signs, wedgies, or spitballs in their hair.

fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

So what you are saying is that OK for the Cops to violate the law?
Treat EVERYONE like they are criminals with no proof other than he said/she said? please tell me its not.

I would NOT have settled this out of court i would have taken as far as i could and made sure THOSE cops were convicted of the crimes THEY broke.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zoom,
Lets suppose that there were drug dealing armed students in the school what would be the proper approach? Go in with guns drawn looking randomly for “some armed drug dealer” and hope you don’t start a firefight in a crowded school or wait for specific info to be found on who is a suspect and arrest him in a controlled and safe environment? Please note the police were not called in on a life or death situation they were called in because some students may be dealing drugs and may be armed.
There is no way to justify treating every kid in that school as a armed and dangerous criminal when you know beyond a doubt that >90% of those kid are completely innocent teenagers.
Please tell me how you would react if you were at a shopping mall with your family and the police storm the mall with guns drawn and force everyone at gunpoint to lay on the floor and be searched because the manager of the mall thought there were people dealing drugs and may be armed?
The cops have to know how dangerous this type of raid would be regardless of what they were told by the superintendent. Yes I do blame the cops!

Rich V

+1

Would they have done this if some guy in an office building reported drugs being sold there?  No way...seems LEOs always jump at the chance to show kids whos in charge
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You seem quite familiar with this incident. So pretty much the police mounted a raid of the school based solely on the information the principal gave them. No investigative work whatsoever on their part, so they are not at fault
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#24]
The Campus police in Ga do not need permission or a warrant to search anything or any body on  Board of Education Proprety.  Nor should they.
The authority of the municipal officers on campus is more limited, however.

Looks like a bad deal all around. Damn shame.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zoom,

Rich V

If that would've been the case, they would've sat outside for hours while the killing continued.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#26]
They did it for the children....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Guess what there are a large number of people illegally driving on suspended licenses, driving with drugs in their vehicles and driving with guns in their vehicles. Should the cops pull over, cuff, and search every vehicle?

But if someone in a respected public position tells the cop that the person does, then do you think the cops should pull the person over and search the car?

I think I see the root of your error. The cops were not told that a person was armed. They were told that some unidentified people were or might be armed. Based on that, they committed aggravated assaults on lots of people, despite the fact that they did know, if I correctly recall the size of the school, that the chances that any given victim of their assault was armed (or even possessed dope) could be no greater than some 1- or 2-digit number in a thousand. They - and lots of cops - are entirely too gun-happy. They should personally suffer for their behavior. If I were on a jury, I would not vote to convict any parent of a student at that school who approached any of those officers off-duty and beat and/or terrorized him.

Sadly, the civil immunity afforded police officers has the perverse effect of encouraging them to obey unlawful and even insane orders, as in this case and in the NO gun-grabs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Every officer involved should be fired and permenantly barred from any leo/security position of any kind!
If my child had been involved in this incident, I would not be in a position to post in this thread!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Good for them.

Who ever ordered the raid should have to pay for it out of his own pocket.

Since when do we have JBT drug raids in High school???

FREE

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top