User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2005 2:03:37 PM EDT
Looks like the Marine Corps is resurrecting the good ol' jeep:

Internally Transportable Vehicle
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
They were also testing a 4wd vehicle smaller than a Humvee that looked remarkably similar to what the Colonial Marine Corps soldiers used in the movie Aliens. I don't know what became of that. The design influence could be seen. I wonder if that one could fit inside an Osprey...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I knew it would happen sooner or later.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Linky no worky
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]
But...but...it's not up-armored!

Bush's Fault.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Linky no worky

It's a .pdf. Do you have adobe acrobat installed?

It looks like a spruced up M151.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
basic;y the hummer dosn't fit in a v22 and they want saometing that does
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
basic;y the hummer dosn't fit in a v22 and they want saometing that does

Bingo!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I want one!!! fullclip
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The Hess truck Jeep is back and it's better than ever, Christmas is here!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
They are being made in Ocala, FL at a place called American Growler. I went up there with a company owned M2HB to try out the collapsable pintle mount for the M2. The vehicle is fabricated from the ground up using tubing and sheet metal. The engine is a diesel.

It has to roll out of an Osprey and be ready to go guns up in less than 90 sec.
It is a really nice 4x4. I asked if they would be civilian available. The owner said after the Corps gets their quota, they would offer them up for sale.

I really liked the 4 wheel steering upon demand ability. You can lock out the 4 wheel steering if needed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]
i like it.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard from some guys testing it that it's the biggest piece of crap they've ever had.  Said it was the only vehicle they've gotten at the test center that was un-testable when they recieved it.  Put a ton of hours into it just making it driveable.  So... It's not looking too good for this prototype.  Not anytime soon anyway.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought the Striker was the answer to all questions  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Just bring back the M151.
That thing was a workhorse and a helluva lot cheaper I bet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]
A prototype is always just that. It leaves room for suggestions for improvement.
Sounds odd that it wasn't even drivable. The 4 I saw when I was there were pretty nice. We drove them pretty hard.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I like it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They were also testing a 4wd vehicle smaller than a Humvee that looked remarkably similar to what the Colonial Marine Corps soldiers used in the movie Aliens. I don't know what became of that. The design influence could be seen. I wonder if that one could fit inside an Osprey...

They just had a small mention of it in this months Maxim(the one with Haily Duff on the cover) and yes, it will fit inside an osprey.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I heard from some guys testing it that it's the biggest piece of crap they've ever had.  Said it was the only vehicle they've gotten at the test center that was un-testable when they recieved it.  Put a ton of hours into it just making it driveable.  So... It's not looking too good for this prototype.  Not anytime soon anyway.

Same thing with the Hummer when we first had them for testing, rollovers were frequent and they were truly a prototype vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like it.

My first impression was that it was something you would expect to be parked in a handicapped parking space.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Where do I store the golfbags???
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Did the FAV's go away?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#23]
After three guys get killed by an IED people will scream for that thing to be up armored and it will be lost from it's original purpose.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#24]
It looks tough, all it needs is an axe and a shovel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I thought the Striker was the answer to all questions  

No, thats the Super Hornet.

Quoted:
Where do I store the golfbags???

That's the USAF version.

Kharn

ETA: Oops, quoted the wrong guy
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
After three guys get killed by an IED people will scream for that thing to be up armored and it will be lost from it's original purpose.

Yup.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Who's making it? Unless it's made by an English company other than Land Rover, it would have to be pretty hard to screw up a design as simple as this, IMO. I wonder if they're trying to skimp weight with alloy parts where ever possible, including engine parts?????? If so, that might be a problem area.

Slap a Toyota 4cyl in there for weight & reliability & a decent drive train & you should be good to go, IMO. These things aren't meant for patrols in Indian territory, they're for running fuel, water & wounded from one side of a perimeter to another in a quick manner. Armor will come later, with the support troops.

Even a small turbo-diesel by Isuzu would be a good fit. Weight would probably rule that option out even if it makes it semi-waterproof w/o a distributor cap. Everything's a trade-off, IMO.

Time will tell, I hope we don't get screwed too badly, nor the Marines who use them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like someone stripped a Jeep, and stretched it to fit a small flat bed.

Almost a 4 door S10 based on a Jeep.

I want one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Too low to the ground. This turd will get high centered on a beer can.  I hope that picture is a non functioning prototype that hasn't gotten its drivetrain finalized yet.

ETA the Jeep Gladiator is close to what that thing is supposed to be anyway.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks kinda slapped together.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
But...but...it's not up-armored!

Bush's Fault.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#32]
The Humvee is great but you can't fit one in the back of a shitter (CH-53).  This is actually a good idea as it is faster to drive up the ramp and secure with tie downs then to hover over and grab as an external load.  

I want to see three of these pooped out the back of an CH-53 and have the chute expand as it falls away....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep, to low, looks like little articulation, front bumper to low and will cause grounding, breakover looks crappy. Hell, my slightly modded Durango would probably kick it's ass easily. And if my eyes don't deceive me, ground clearance at front axle looks pathetic.

And after seeing how hummers ran in the sand at silver lake, I rate them as quite the pathetic POS, especially for what they cost. And those had the uprated turbo engine, not the sad sack the mil is stuck with. They do however, have great ground clearance and seem reasonably durable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#34]
It's made by American Growler (formerly Carolina Growler). They bought a bunch of surplus and demilled M151s and were making street legal kit cars for export and off road for a while.

That would be the irony of ironies if the USMC was buying resurrected MUTTs with fancy tubing and goodies on them.

http://www.americangrowler.com/

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like it.

My first impression was that it was something you would expect to be parked in a handicapped parking space.

Does it come in MARPAT?

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#36]
looks like it came from Carolina Growler.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Mercedes G-Wagon.  It fits inside the osprey.  It was originally designed for the Shah of Iran.  He needed a desert capable fast attack vehicle.  I believe they were used in limited numbers in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]
If that isn't a modified M151, I'll kiss your ass in Macy's window.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Toyota FJ-40 and FJ-45 PU. I guarantee it'd kick this little s--tbox all the way to the dumpster. Update it a bit, put air/elec lockers in the axles, PS, and you'd be all set. Dump the Birfields or beef em up a little bit also.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#40]
we do have mercedes G-Wagons, and no they will not fit in the osprey. they were purchased because they will fit inside a shitter (CH-53e) but at quantico i pulled one up to a plywood scale osprey and it DOES NOT fit. the plywood osprey is built to scale and used to train for loading and unloading.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Pucker up buttercup! I've seen them fabricated from the ground up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll take two!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
we do have mercedes G-Wagons, and no they will not fit in the osprey. they were purchased because they will fit inside a shitter (CH-53e) but at quantico i pulled one up to a plywood scale osprey and it DOES NOT fit. the plywood osprey is built to scale and used to train for loading and unloading.

Yeah I saw a pic of the G-Wagens we have. Did a double take on that one.

ETA here it is  getting on a Helo. IFAV (Interim Fast Attack Vehicle) they are calling it I think.  Jarheads in Mercs. Who knew?

MORE:

QUANTICO TO RECEIVE CORPS' NEWEST SUV

By Sgt. Michael Niman

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. (June 16) - Though the Marine Corps procured the Interim Fast Attack Vehicle as a replacement for the M-151 Jeep in the Fleet Marine Force, Quantico Marines are now getting their hands on one to evaluate it in a base support role.

Quantico's range control section will soon receive the Corps' newest tactical utility vehicle and become the first non-tactical unit in the Marine Corps to receive and evaluate the IFAV.

The vehicle is one of 62 the Marine Corps contracted for last year from Advanced Vehicle Systems, of Washington, D.C., who partnered with Daimler/Chrysler for rapid manufacture of the Mercedes-Benz 290 GDT long wheel-base vehicle.

Of the IFAVs produced by the Corps, 24 were given to II Marine Expeditionary Force in Camp Lejeune, NC., 24 to I MEF in Camp Pendleton, Calif., and 12 were given to III MEF in Okinawa, Japan. Marine Corps Systems Command retained the remaining two IFAVs for testing and configuration management.

MarCorSysCom Commanding General BGen. James Feigley is scheduled to hand over keys to one of the remaining IFAVs to BGen. Leif Hendrickson, base commanding general, 11:45 a.m. June 19 in front of Lejeune Hall.

"From discussions and meetings by MCCDC and MarCorSysCom senior officers, not unlike the way the Corps started in Tun Tavern, the idea came up that the commercial-based IFAV might have good utility in less tactical base support operations," said LtCol. Thomas F. Manley, Program Manager for Transportation, MarCorSysCom.

"The thinking behind it was, since it was designed as an aggressive off-road sport utility vehicle, it would probably better suited for some of the rougher terrains around base than the vehicles currently in use," said Manley.

"We use four-wheel-drive vehicles to aid personnel in training areas - but sometimes they get stuck," said Sgt. Gerald Spilatro, who is one of three range control Marines recently trained to operate the IFAV.

The range control Marines trained extensively for one week learning maintenance and practicing driving on hardball, unimproved gravel roads and rough off-road areas.

"With an IFAV in two-wheel drive, our instructor easily got through areas we frequently get our Dodge Rams stuck in," said Spilatro.

"When there is heavy rain, there are certain roads that we have to stay off, but with the IFAV we can go anywhere, if it is raining or not," he added.

It won't hold the M-19 40mm grenade launcher or the M2 .50 caliber machine gun, like some of its relatives in the FMF, but Spilatro believes the IFAV will prove to be a valuable asset to the Marine Corps in non-tactical roles just as in tactical missions.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#44]
If what 50cal said is true about civvy use after the Corps get those, I'll take one please!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Linky no worky

It's a .pdf. Do you have adobe acrobat installed?

It looks like a spruced up M151.

More like a chopped up M38A1

Here's the 151
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pucker up buttercup! I've seen them fabricated from the ground up.

O.K., but if I'm going to have to kiss someones ass in public, you don't have to pile it on by calling me "buttercup"
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Betcha didn'y know there was an M151 Patrol/FAV variant:

M151-A2 Combat Attack Vehicle

So they say:

Modified, one of 121 built by the USMC at camp Lejeune  Basic modifications are engine, suspension, four inch lift to allow for large sand tires, four special equipment baskets, 2 on rear and 1 on each front fender, front mounted spare, 2" thick Kevlar plate on the front of the hood to deflect enemy fire, integral roll cage, pioneer rack, wire cutters and four foot spud bar.  Armament is top mounted 50 Cal., 5 each M16s, M60 in front of passenger seat.  Has storage boxes and cans for roughly 3000 rounds of ammo. 2 roll bar mounted infrared lights.  This is one of only ten known to exist.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Sometime this year,I will be buying a MUTT!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

And after seeing how hummers ran in the sand at silver lake, I rate them as quite the pathetic POS, especially for what they cost.

Driven by military drivers with no experience in sand? No airing down of tires either, I bet? If so, then nothing would've skimmed thru sand weighing as much as a Hummer. They won't go everywhere when driven by a novice/idiot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#50]

From mountain bikes to Humvees and everything in between.

I wonder how much it is costing the .gov to re-invent the Jeep.

Our taxes at work.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top