Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 10:22:49 AM EDT
Im watching thin red line and it got me thinking on what kinda insert into combat would be the most frightening?  
1. Airborne
2. Seaborne
3. Air assault

I haven't gone through air assault training yet so I cant really ground it off of anything other than what I have seen heard and read about.  Same with seaborne operations.  So heres my take.

I think airborne would be the most frightening in combat.  You land alone taking fire on the way down.  the enemy is all around you and you don't know who is friend or foe.  You are disorented the second you hit down it is most likely to be pitch black all around you.  I think it would be a very bad feeling.

I could see the water landing being a different kind of fear.  It is ominous.  looming ahead of you.  the boat is pushing forward (I know its not the same anymore but think ww2 iwa gima or normandy even sicily.) Finally the gate drops and you rush the beach with your brothers all around you.  if you come in calm all is well.  If you don't the artillary cuts you up as well as the machine guns.  

In an air assualt the squad is dropped togeather you have your intel on where you are landing and hopefully the enemy will need some time to possition around you.  You got boots to dirt knowing where you are and where you need to go next.  The enemy might see you touch down and watch you move in so they will have the drop on you.  You might have to deal with delays in getting all of the men on the field.  Your small group may be alone for a period of time.

All would be bad.  what is all your opinions on the worst?  I don't know how to make a poll cause Im an internet newb
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#1]
GAWD that movie SUCKED
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
GAWD that movie SUCKED

+eleventy bazillion

Seaborne invasion.
Sitting ducks in the landing craft.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
GAWD that movie SUCKED

thanks..I mean now that im 45 minutes into it I have to finish...

I still say airborne would be worse.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't speak for those examples, but my vote is for soft-skinned-humveeborne assaults into RPG infested streets. That'll make yer' balloon-knot pucker.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
GAWD that movie SUCKED

thanks..I mean now that im 45 minutes into it I have to finish...

I still say airborne would be worse.  

I would have walked out of the movie theater if I hadn't got bored, was playing with my wedding ring and dropped it.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I can't speak for those examples, but my vote is for soft-skinned-humveeborne assaults into RPG infested streets. That'll make yer' balloon-knot pucker.

yea but with convoy ops you are dealing with hours and days of nothingness alert then minutes of engagement.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top