User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 5:51:26 PM EDT
www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/19/D8EJKF48B.html

Schwarzenegger to Hometown: Remove My Name

By JENNIFER COLEMAN
Associated Press Writer
Dec 19 6:51 PM US/Eastern

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday told officials in his hometown in Austria to remove his name from a sports stadium and stop using his identity to promote the city. The governor's request came after politicians in Graz began a petition drive to rename the stadium, reacting to Schwarzenegger's decision last week to deny clemency to condemned inmate Stanley Tookie Williams. Opposition to the death penalty is strong in Austria.

In a letter that began "Dear Mister Mayor," Schwarzenegger said he decided to spare the Graz city council "further concern" should he be forced to make other clemency decisions while he's governor. Another inmate is scheduled to be executed in California Jan. 17.

"In all likelihood, during my term as governor, I will have to make similar and equally difficult decisions," Schwarzenegger said in the letter. "To spare the responsible politicians of the city of Graz further concern, I withdraw from them as of this day the right to use my name in association with the Liebenauer Stadium."

The stadium was renamed for the former Hollywood star in 1997. He asked that the lettering be removed by year's end.

Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Margita Thompson said the letter was faxed Monday to the Graz city hall. The city council was expected to take up the matter next month.

In the letter, Schwarzenegger also said he would no longer permit the use of his name "to advertise or promote the city of Graz in any way" and would return the city's "ring of honor."

The ring was given to him in a ceremony in Graz in 1999. At the time, Schwarzenegger said he considered it "a token of sincere friendship between my hometown and me."

"Since, however, the official Graz appears to no longer accept me as one of their own, this ring has lost its meaning and value to me. It is already in the mail," the governor wrote.

Williams, co-founder of the Crips gang, was convicted of four 1979 murders. He was executed shortly after midnight Dec. 13.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Damm, he says what I'm thinking :"Fuck you guys"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

sometimes arny just makes me smile.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Arnold has balls, you got to give him that! I might not like everything he does but he lets you know were he stands. It wouldn’t surprise me if he called of these guys on death row and told them “ You’re Terminated”.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw that. Fuck his home town, and any other "Tookie" supporters.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
[Cartman]Fuck yoo gyyyzz I'm stayin' here![Cartman]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:It wouldn’t surprise me if he called of these guys on death row and told them “ You’re Terminated”.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
a very smart and savvy guy. (perhaps savvy is more appropriate)..

he wants to be prez. i dunno if i would vote for him. i have reservations. but i would like to see him be able and to run if he was able..
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:It wouldn’t surprise me if he called of these guys on death row and told them “ You’re Terminated”.

Hahaha, i would piss my pants if that happened.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The stadium was renamed for the former(?) Hollywood star in 1997. He asked that the lettering be removed by year's end.

He has not quite acting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#10]
This is one of the few times I can say I'm pleased with the Govenor's actions.  

He did the honorable thing.

Telling your hometown to go fuck off is not easy.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

he wants to be prez. i dunno if i would vote for him. i have reservations. but i would like to see him be able and to run if he was able..

He can't be President.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Way to go Arnold!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if this was how the conversation went in Sacramento:

"Get zee ring to zee choppa! Eet's all facking boolsheet!"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope that story is real because the Governator just got more points! He can't be President, and I wouldn't vote for him even though I'm an immigrant... but he can run for Congress!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He can't be President.

i know. that's why i said 'like to see him be able'
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I hope that story is real because the Governator just got more points! He can't be President, and I wouldn't vote for him even though I'm an immigrant... but he can run for Congress!

Yeah, it's real.

news.google.com/news?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=wn&ncl=www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/19/AR2005121901181.html&hl=en

Couple of great headlines there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#17]
[Nelson]Ha Ha[/Nelson]

[Cartman]Screw You guys![/Cartman]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He can't be President.

Under current rules...

He's as American as I am. Why can I run for President and not him, just because I happened to pop out within the borders of the country? Silly rule.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted: Yeah, it's real.
That makes me want to watch a vintage copy of Commando, circa 1985, two decades have passed!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He can't be President.

Under current rules...

He's as American as I am. Why can I run for President and not him, just because I happened to pop out within the borders of the country? Silly rule.

NTM

Fuck that.....its because where you are born always has some special meaning to you.

enemy of the state!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]
... If he were to support 2A & RKBA, he'd almost be Presidential material.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Really? When did he start doing that? ..................thinking I mean.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Self-serviing politicians are the same no matter what country they're in.  Those politicos in Austria was hoping to ride Ahnoold's coat-tails to greater fame and fortune, but unfortunately they do have a few political differences.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Uh...  When someone legally immigrates to this country, damn near broke and hardly able to speak the language ends up a multi-millionaire, mega boxoffice star, force in the entertainment industry and Republican Governor of a state OWNED by Democrats I'd say the man has shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can think (and do it a damn sight better than 99% of the rest of us).

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, that had to be a tough decision. Good for him.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh...  When someone legally immigrates to this country, damn near broke and hardly able to speak the language ends up a multi-millionaire, mega boxoffice star, force in the entertainment industry and Republican Governor of a state OWNED by Democrats I'd say the man has shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can think (and do it a damn sight better than 99% of the rest of us).

Remember also, he married into the very prestigious Kennedy family.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They need him more than he needs them.  I've never even heard of the place until he became governor.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I still want him to work "Get to da choppa" into a press conference.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#28]
+1 for the Gov
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#29]
arny : you WONT be back...
williams : < quietly shits his pants >

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe Arnold should send the forensic photographs of tookie's victims
to the Graz Council Members.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#31]
That's a serious bitch slap!

Link to LA Times Article
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#32]
That's news I like to hear.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I was all set to post this story myself.....

You gotta love Arnie. He definitely has backbone and doesn't wither under a little criticism.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He can't be President.

Under current rules...

NTM

Fuck that.....its because where you are born always has some special meaning to you.

enemy of the state!!!

being form Texas, you should know that where you were born has little to do with being American. How many illegals had babies born in your town so they could stay in America. These "anchor babies" can run for president, so why shouldn't some guy who is the story of the American dream be able to run as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow.  I'm sincerely impressed.  

-K
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Actually, what he said is   "Fuck You...Ass Hole"
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Mayor Begs Schwarzenegger Not to Break Ties

Dec 20, 9:17 PM EST

By WILLIAM J. KOLE
Associated Press Writer

VIENNA, Austria (AP) -- The mayor of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Austrian hometown on Tuesday begged the California governor to reconsider his decision to cut ties to the city after locals assailed him for his death penalty stance.

Siegfried Nagl, mayor of the southern city of Graz, said he wrote Schwarzenegger pleading with him not to return a ring of honor bestowed on him by officials in his birthplace in 1999 and reassuring him that most residents still admire him.

"I hope that very soon we'll hear you say, 'I'll be back,'" Nagl told the actor-turned-politician, one of Austria's most famous sons.

On Monday, Schwarzenegger caused a stir by turning the tables on Austrians who criticized the governor's refusal to block the executions of convicted killers. He sent Graz officials a letter asking them to remove his name from a soccer stadium and stop using it to promote the city, and said he was giving back the ring because it "has lost its meaning and value to me."

His demands effectively pre-empted a drive launched by opponents in Austria who already were gathering signatures on a petition calling for the 15,300-seat arena in Graz, about 120 miles south of Vienna, to be renamed.

The petition drive began last week amid a furor triggered by the execution in California of Stanley Tookie Williams. Capital punishment is illegal in Europe, where many people consider it barbaric. They are now waiting to see how Schwarzenegger deals with the scheduled Jan. 17 execution of a 75-year-old inmate.

"Graz will not have problems in the future with my decisions as governor of California, because officially nothing connects us any more," Schwarzenegger told the daily Kronen Zeitung in an interview for Tuesday's editions.

"The death penalty is law here, and I have to uphold the law of the land and the will of the people," Schwarzenegger was quoted as saying, adding that he still considered himself "Austrian with all my heart."

Nagl told Austrian television he hoped to persuade Schwarzenegger. At a minimum, he said, he hoped to persuade Schwarzenegger to keep the ring - though he conceded he did not expect to succeed.

"Those who know him realize he sticks to his opinions," he said. "The chances are not good. I regret this deeply, but I understand."

Schwarzenegger was born in 1947 in the village of Thal just outside Graz, where he began his bodybuilding career. He emigrated to the United States in 1968 and became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 1984, but has retained his Austrian citizenship.

Kurt Flecker, a local official with the opposition Social Democrats, said Schwarzenegger damaged his own image - not Graz's - by refusing to spare Williams' life. There is no point, he said, in "glorifying anyone who supports the death penalty."

Walter Ferk, the deputy mayor of Graz, said Schwarzenegger's decision to allow executions to go forward makes him "an unsuitable godfather for a public building."

But Hermann Schuetzenhoefer, a tourism adviser in the province of Styria where Graz is located, said Tuesday he also wrote a letter to Schwarzenegger expressing regret "that some politicians who proudly bore your name a few years ago are dragging it through the dirt now."

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
... If he were to support 2A & RKBA, he'd almost be Presidential material.

1. Too bad he wasn't born here.
2. The fucker signed a ban on .50's.

The hell with him.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The hell with him.

Damn, but some people are hard to please...

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#40]

If for no other reason, you GOTTA love how he INSTANTLY derailed the liberal fucktards over there and their best laid plans to make a 'statement'.

It warms the heart when they get a hearty "Fuck YOU!" wherever they may be !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top