Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 12:14:08 PM EDT
Say a house is prewired for a brinks security system. The main board is still there but There is no key pad anywhere. There are sensors on the areas that are needed.

There are 4 entry doors and 4 windows that are accessible. So 8 sensor points.

What is this going to run to get going? This is in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about your local area, but here in central Texas I have seen Brinks adds that state they will install a system for $100 if the home owner will sign a 2 year monitoring agreement.

From what you describe, they should only have to install a keypad.  You will also need a phone line so the system can call the monitoring center when an alarm is triggered.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to sell those things (security systems).

It should only take a keypad and maybe replace the main board (if you are switching companies).  Don't let them charge you for any equipment if you sign a contract.  They should install a keyapd and the board for free if you sign a contract (one year at most).  Check with other companies and compare prices.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it use a telephone line?  If so, have the telephone box installed inside.  Have a trench dug (several feet) to carry the line into the house.  Have the line encased in steel pipe to the foundation.  

This was easier and made better sense for me in a rural setting than you may find in an urban setting.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Can I do this myself? Instal a security system?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I did it. If all the sensors terminate into the box,then it should be a snap. Check out this company.

http://homesecuritystore.com/
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Security system?  2-4 large, aggressive dogs.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably about $150.00 and a two year contract. Service with ADT has been excellent for me.....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
check your im
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top