Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 11:40:21 AM EDT
On Nov. 25th, the Boston Globe published an article with the following-

"Guns are being brought into Boston from Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine at a stepped-up pace, according to city officials"

and  

"... in the past six months, police have recovered more and more weapons from New England states, Mayor Thomas M. Menino said.

''We can't just put our heads in the sand and say there is no problem," Menino said. ''There is a problem. We have to address it." "

and

''The proximity of New England states with less restrictive [gun laws] makes firearms more accessible to people here in Massachusetts," said Sergeant Thomas Sexton, a Boston Police Department spokesman"

and

"Officials say more lenient gun laws in other states pose an ongoing problem.

''Massachusetts has excellent gun laws," said Larry Mayes, the city's chief of human services. ''But . . . if the neighboring states around us are lax, then we need to look at some strategies to strengthen our state borders." "

and

"The problem goes beyond Boston. In the past year, Hartford police have noticed that more guns from the streets were obtained in New Hampshire"

I saw this story today, which makes me glad I'm a New Hampshire resident-

N.H. attorney strikes back against lax gun control claims

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- The U.S. attorney for New Hampshire is firing back against charges that lax gun control laws in northern New England are partly responsible for an increase in gun crimes in Boston.

U.S. Attorney Thomas Colantuono told Foster's Sunday Citizen that's an "urban myth" that doesn't stand up to the facts.

Data collected by the federal "Project Safe Neighborhoods" show that most of the guns used in Massachusetts crimes come from within that state, Colantuono said. The data also show that fewer than 10 percent of the guns used in Massachusetts crimes come from New Hampshire; instead, Georgia is the top source of out-of-state guns.

Also, many of the guns traced back to New Hampshire were sold several years ago, belying Boston officials' claims that New Hampshire guns are contributing to a recent surge in shootings and other gun crimes, he said.

Boston officials recently reported that the number of guns they had seized was up 34 percent and the number of gun-related arrests increased 39 percent through early November, compared to the same period a year earlier.

A Boston Police spokesman, Sgt. Thomas Sexton, said stricter gun laws in northern New England would help solve the problem. Massachusetts requires residents to pay $100 for a state permit when buying any gun; New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont do not require state permits.

While some guns used in Massachusetts crimes still come from the South and the West Coast, city police are finding more guns "coming from a lot closer to home," Sexton said.

The Rev. Bruce Wall, who lives in Boston and owns a summer home in New Hampshire, said Boston Police told him and other religious leaders this summer of a New Hampshire-to-Boston gun corridor.

Wall said he discussed the issue recently with New Hampton police Chief Nathaniel Sawyer, president of the state's Association of Chiefs of Police, and hopes to meet with the full association and state legislators next month to ask for stricter gun control laws.

Sam Cohen, a director of Gun Owners of New Hampshire, the state chapter of the National Rifle Association, said New Hampshire's laws are strict enough already.

Gun dealers must follow the gun laws of a buyer's home state, and dealers at both gun stores and gun shows must perform background checks on their customers, he said.

Ralph Demicco, co-owner of Riley's Sport Shop in Hooksett, said federal law forbids people from buying handguns outside their home states, although that doesn't apply to rifles. Gun dealers also are trained to look out for "straw purchases" by state residents who buy large numbers of guns, then resell them, he said.

Some cases show how criminals can get around those requirements, however. The U.S. Attorney's Office in Boston charged Michael Fowler, 34, of Lynn, Mass., with gun trafficking last year and said he bought 24 guns -- 18 in Maine and six in New Hampshire -- from legal gun owners who advertised in local publications. He was accused of reselling them for profit in Massachusetts.

Agent Jim McNally, of the Boston office of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said agency policy prohibits disclosure of the number of weapons seized in southern New England states that were traced to New Hampshire, Maine or Vermont.

Wall said it would be helpful if northern New England gun sellers were required to file detailed sales documents with the gun's serial number. But he realizes it will be difficult to get stricter laws.

"I don't think anybody wants to rattle this cage," he said.

Gov. John Lynch "does not believe we need any changes in our gun laws in New Hampshire," but would be willing to talk with Massachusetts officials and federal agents about better enforcement, said his spokeswoman, Pamela Walsh.

Sexton said Boston Police don't believe there's any magic bullet that will solve the problem.

"We're not trying to point the finger at anybody," he said. "We're trying to stem firearms violence in the city of Boston."

www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BOS11026/

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
"Mumbles" Menino is a genuine shitheel.

A few weeks ago he told a reporter that he'd like to see border stops by state police to search vehicles coming from NH for firearms.

There was another recent incident where a local Hip Hop store was selling t-shirts that read "Stop Snitchin" (sic). The great braintrust of a Mayor seeing this as being part of the increase in violence, shootings and gang activity, ordered the BPD to go into the store and confiscate the shirts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Just think, those firearms were peacefully minding their own business in New Hampshire.

But when the firearms were moved to Massachusetts, they suddenly became violent!

Jeepers!

What sort of atmosphere is Mass creating when even inanimate objects become criminals?

Eric The(Stunned)Hun
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny how Mass. blames the north and NY blames the south. We're all in the north here. Call it Northern Agression if you will.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If their gun laws actually worked, there would be no problem.

That is some of the most twisted pretzel logic I have ever read.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I've posted this before so forgive me for being redundant.

An explaination for the MA dingbats who don't understand the recent uptick in Boston gun crime:

In the mid 90's the Boston PD ran a program called Operation Clean Sweep. The PD went through the ghettos, picked up many drug dealers who were then sent to the crowbar hotel for the sentence mandated by law. Ten years.

Well, it's ten years later and the old school crew is out and looking to reestablish their once thriving businesses, only to find out that a new generation has taken over.

The results are obvious and are demonstrated by the record number of homocides in Boston for 2005.

Really couldn't be simpler.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Why does that fathead Menino continue to think that his position as Mayor of Boston, somehow makes him the Mayor of all New England?

Douchebag.

Hey, Menino! We don't care what you are MUMBLING!!! Go run your little town you fat piece of shit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Why does that fathead Menino continue to think that his position as Mayor of Boston, somehow makes him the Mayor of all New England?

Douchebag.

Hey, Menino! We don't care what you are MUMBLING!!! Go run your little town you fat piece of shit.

Well put.

When I want NH to be a crime infested shithole, I'll go to the Mayor of Boston for advice, but until then he can keep it to himself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Posted by Loginname:

A few weeks ago he told a reporter that he'd like to see border stops by state police to search vehicles coming from NH for firearms.

There was another recent incident where a local Hip Hop store was selling t-shirts that read "Stop Snitchin" (sic). The great braintrust of a Mayor seeing this as being part of the increase in violence, shootings and gang activity, ordered the BPD to go into the store and confiscate the shirts.

Ah, a fellow Howie Carr aficianado I see.

I get a chuckle out of hearing the masshole problems, unfortunately, they are moving up here in droves and bringing their douchebag politics with them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Douchebag.

Well put.

When I want NH to be a crime infested shithole, I'll go to the Mayor of Boston for advice, but until then he can keep it to himself.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I get a chuckle out of hearing the masshole problems, unfortunately, they are moving up here in droves and bringing their douchebag politics with them.

yup  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Ninety percent of Boston's problems with guns, drugs, robbery and murder can be isolated to about a 25 block area within the city. The same 25 block area that has been the same thorn in Boston's side for the past 6 decades.

If the police concentrated their efforts on this area alone,  they could solve the vast majority of past crimes in the city and prevent 99% of the future crime.

Political correctness precludes this from ever happening because the black popultation would cry discrimination. The assholes running the city of Boston have never and will never have the fortitude to look within for the answers to their problems.....its always easier to find someone or something external to blame. God forbid they do what is needed and right.

When was the last time you heard of this type of shit happening in the Chinatown section of Boston?

The truth is the truth no matter how it is twisted by the politicians or the press.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Posted by Loginname:

Ah, a fellow Howie Carr aficianado I see.

With any luck, I should be moving up there in about 8 more years (long story short... my current job prohibits me from living more than 25 miles from my workplace).

I'll bring a whole new perspective with me... trust me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
instead, Georgia is the top source of out-of-state guns.

Bwahhahahahahahahahahaha!

Watcha gonna do about it, Menino????????
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ninety percent of Boston's problems with guns, drugs, robbery and murder can be isolated to about a 25 block area within the city. The same 25 block area that has been the same thorn in Boston's side for the past 6 decades.

If the police concentrated their efforts on this area alone,  they could solve the vast majority of past crimes in the city and prevent 99% of the future crime.

Political correctness precludes this from ever happening because the black popultation would cry discrimination. The assholes running the city of Boston have never and will never have the fortitude to look within for the answers to their problems.....its always easier to find someone or something external to blame. God forbid they do what is needed and right.

When was the last time you heard of this type of shit happening in the Chinatown section of Boston?

The truth is the truth no matter how it is twisted by the politicians or the press.

A liberal government and a LE organization  preaching the miracles of gun control. What a surprise

Here is an option. All Boston needs to do is build some levees around that 25 block area of town and borrow the hurricane machine from Halliburton. When the hurricane hits, blow up the levees and move all the refugees to Houston. It worked for New Orleans, problem solved

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've posted this before so forgive me for being redundant.

An explaination for the MA dingbats who don't understand the recent uptick in Boston gun crime:

In the mid 90's the Boston PD ran a program called Operation Clean Sweep. The PD went through the ghettos, picked up many drug dealers who were then sent to the crowbar hotel for the sentence mandated by law. Ten years.

Well, it's ten years later and the old school crew is out and looking to reestablish their once thriving businesses, only to find out that a new generation has taken over.

The results are obvious and are demonstrated by the record number of homocides in Boston for 2005.

Really couldn't be simpler.

Interesting. Got a link to back that up?

<-------not sarcastic, but very, very interested now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Come on!  Give Menino a break - his murder rate is the highest in years...

MA has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, yet the crime rate and especially the murder rate is going through the roof.  Rather than admit that the gun laws aren't working he is simply trying to blame neighbooring states.

Menino sucks and is hesitant to tackle the real (20 block problem mentioned earlier) b/c he would loose the votes from the minorities and would loose re-election.  The left wing idiots at the Globe continue to publish made up garbage promoting the agenda and I hope they continue to slide towards bankrupcy as readers begin to realize it's all left wing propaganda.  So:

Fuck you Menino.
Fuck you Boston Globe
Fuck you MA.  
& Fuck GOAL for letting it happen.

I lived there for a decade and watched my rights get trampled and crushed.  May your whole fucking infrastructure come crashing down around you when only the crimminals have guns.  

Its a shame that the cradle of liberty is on fire, but the citizens of MA continue to let it happen.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Douchebag.

He's not the only one, let us not forget about King Richard in Chicago.  Same deal, except his fifedom is Illinois.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#19]
....yep, just like spoons made Rosie a PIG!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting. Got a link to back that up?

<-------not sarcastic, but very, very interested now.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I used to do a gospel radio show here in Boston and as a result I got to know several of the pastors who work in these neiborhoods. They're the ones who told me what I posted above.

I know that just makes it hearsay, but I consider them very reliable sources.

I'll check to see what I can find but I doubt any of the local papers (especially the Globe) would have the nuts to publish something like that, in as much as it would be pointing the finger of responsibility at something other than guns.

ETA:

Try this

http://bostonstrategy.com/story/05_actions.html

ETA: I checked the Boston Globe archives and there are at least a few stories about this but it is a subscriber service and I do not have an account there. If you wish to look, just Google Boston Globe Archives, operation clean sweep, date range all 1994. You can see the first paragraph of each story.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, NH should take advice about crime control from Boston.  I actually lived on Cambridge Street in Boston for a year.  I didn't even bother trying to get a gun permit (?FID) and just left them in NH.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While it is humorous that Mass cannot do jack shit about it, there is a problem with Georgia firearms winding up in criminal hands up north, not just Mass. Facilitating the transfer of guns to criminals intentionally or not is a bad thing, and it will come back to bite us in the ass one day.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While it is humorous that Mass cannot do jack shit about it, there is a problem with Georgia firearms winding up in criminal hands up north, not just Mass. Facilitating the transfer of guns to criminals intentionally or not is a bad thing, and it will come back to bite us in the ass one day.

As long as FFLs abide by Federal regs, there is nothing they can do.  Besides, how do we know that this is true anyway.  Pennsylvania is much closer and has very similar laws, so that makes me question the "stat".
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Just think, those firearms were peacefully minding their own business in New Hampshire.

But when the firearms were moved to Massachusetts, they suddenly became violent!

Jeepers!

What sort of atmosphere is Mass creating when even inanimate objects become criminals?

Eric The(Stunned)Hun

Well said.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#25]
And to think, my buddies and I refer MA as the DMZ....who woulda known?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm glad someone told MA to STFU
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#27]
A better response would have been "With our "so-called lax gun laws, our crime rate is still much lower than yours.  What is the real problem?  It should be obvious it isn't our gun laws."
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#28]
has any one seen the bilboard near fenway park that says somthing like" Boston has the stricktest gun control and the lowest firearms crime rate. gun control works".
wow isnt that a croc of shit. If I had my way there would be a barbwire fence seperating Mass. from NH.  so the massholes couldn't  invade our fine state any more! Even the people that live there hate it now that says somthing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top