Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 6:57:09 AM EDT
I see all kinds of post about people that own gen1 who says gen1 is better than nothing and then people who say don't piss away  your money on gen1 but save till you get gen3. what is bad about gen2 nv? Any gen2+ owners out there. Would you recommend a gen2+.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used gen 2 and 3, gen 2 works pretty well but gen 3 is more clear and works better in lower light.  if you dont have much experience with NV it will probably work just fine for you, people who have been spoiled by gen 3 usually cant stand the stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Operating life expectancy of Generation I image intensifier tubes was about 2000 hours.

Generation II tubes have a life expectancy from 2,500 hours to 4000 hours.

Generation III tubes to 10,000 hours.

This makes tube replenishment for the system virtually unnecessary. This is an important consideration when the intensifier tube normally represents 50% of the overall cost of the night vision system.

Generation I

Amplification: 1,000x

The early 1960's was witness to the beginning of passive night vision. Technological improvements included vacuum tight fused fiber optics for good center resolution and improved gain, multi-alkali photocathodes and fiber optic input & output windows. GEN I devices lacked the sensitivity and light amplification necessary to see below full moonlight, and were often staged or cascaded to improve gain. As a result, GEN I systems were large and cumbersome, less reliable, and relatively poor low light imagers. They were also characterized by streaking and distortion.

Generation II

Amplification: 20,000x

The development of the Microchannel Plate (MCP) led to the birth of Generation II devices in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Higher electron gains were now possible through smaller packaging, and performance improvements made observation possible down to 1/4 moonlight. The first proximity focused microchannel plate (MCP) image intensifier tube was an 18mm used in the original AN/PVS-5 NVG. Generation II+ provides improved performance over standard Gen II by providing increased gain at high and low levels. Generation II+ equipment will provide the best image under full moonlight conditions and is recommended for urban environments.

Generation III

Amplification: 30,000 - 50,000x

The current state-of-the-art, the Generation III intensifier multiplies the light gathering power of the eye or video receptor up to 30,000 times. Requiring over 460 manufacturing steps, the GEN III intensifier is typically characterized by a Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) photocathode, which is grown using a metal organic vapor-phase epitaxy (MOVPE) process. The photon sensitivity of the GaAs phtocathode extends into the near-infrared region, where night sky illuminance and contrast ratios are highest. Sealed to an input window which minimizes veiling glare, the photocathode generates an electron current which is proximity focused onto a phosphor screen, where the electron energy is converted into green light which can then be relayed to the eye or sensor through an output window.

The GEN III Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) photocathode is uniquely sensitive beyond 800 nanometers, considered to be the critical near-infrared region where night sky illuminance levels are greatest. This spectral response shift to the red region results in improved Signal-to-Noise Ratios over GEN III's predecessors, delivering a three-fold improvement in visual acuity and detection distances.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I am trying to find someone local with gen2 and gen3 nv so I can make up my mind. I can buy gen2+ tommorrow but I have to wait a year to buy gen3. Sure be nice to have nv before next hurricane season. I guess you can say this year I was really caught in the dark at night.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I am trying to find someone local with gen2 and gen3 nv so I can make up my mind. I can buy gen2+ tommorrow but I have to wait a year to buy gen3.

What NVG device are you looking to buy?  You could always upgrade your PVS-7 to a gen 3 tube later.

Also, the stuff does hold value, so you could sell and rebuy later.

Check the boards here for good deals.  I bought my gen 3 PVS-14 here.  

Don't be afraid of minor blems, it's normal, and you can go used if you buy right
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I am leaning towards a mono so I can use it hand held or weapons mounted with a 552. Gen2+ is very limited on the syles of monos. If I go gen3 I will get the one with the adj. gain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top