Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 9:34:09 PM EDT
So i work at a range/gunshop, i get the typical shooters and then i get the boyfriend from hell customers. The guy you brings his 105lb 5ft tall gf in and have her shoot a glock 20 and a .357 mag S&W for the first time firearm exprience. Then about 20 min later the gf comes out by herself and complains how much it sucked.  Why would you want to scare someone like that, all that shit does is scare people into not likeing guns. In this case i went in the range and had her shoot a S&W mod 66 with wadcutters. Much more pleasant. Whats the deal with this guys? Something to prove?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
People are dumb. Tell her youll take her out shooting and show her what its really like.

oops: might help if I read

Well if she was cute and all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, stupid to scare a new shooter like that.

It is hilarious to take a cocky, half-assed shooter, and scare the hell out of him with some heavy .460 Weatherby handloads.  And watch and laugh as the scope bites him real good and makes his nose bleed, and bruse his shoulder.  Not that I did this today to this guy a friend of mine knows or anything
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
People are dumb. Tell her youll take her out shooting and show her what its really like.

Well if she was cute and all.

i did, she shot fine once i got her to stop flinching.  I have also seen boyfriends have their girlfriends shoot a rem 870 with 3in magnum slugs for their first "shotgun exprience"
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot indoors this time of year. Being next to an M16 with a 11.5" bbl is no fun for the person next to me..Especially when I am next to the wall.. There has been more than a few times Ive moved lanes if someone has a 1st time shooter  with them..
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
SFR, did she tell you she liked it? Or did she say it still sucked.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it's more of a guy flaunting his "manhood". Look at me i'm macho with a big gun!

It's clear that he did not bring his GF there to teach her. He brought her there to show off.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think it's more of a guy flaunting his "manhood". Look at me i'm macho with a big gun!

It's clear that he did not bring his GF there to teach her. He brought her there to show off.

+1 What an asshat!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Stupidity, I saw a guy at the local range hand his wife a 44 mag single action revolver. He told her to cock the hammer and pull the trigger, she was wee and was not ready for the recoil, topstrap hit her in the face.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I am Just an OLD FAT GUY and I have over 40 years experience as a shooter.
I have been in combat, shot competition, a LEO, into target, hunting and other activities..

For the last few years I have offered to teach new to the sport folks at no cost, basic shooting.
they pay for range time, ammo, and gun rental if needed..
i start them all with a .22
up to a 38
and on to 9mm and .45,(though .9mm tends to bark more than the 45 in my opinion)

We usually get together for a cup of coffee on the first meeting, discuss safety, their expectations, why they are interested in starting shooting etc..if i get the wrong "vibe" i ask them to get another teacher..

70% are female.
all have something to say about an ex boyfrined. ex husband, uncle, cousin etc that basiclly seemed to want to get a laugh at their responce to a "big gun" vs teaching them anything,,
my god, what assholes..

so we start small, move up the ranks in size and style, get comfortable, and we move on to, accuracy, then reloads, reloads while moving, maintainance,  learned muscle skills, awareness in life and observance of surrondings, general attitude of not being a victim, cover, practice, basic combat skills and alternate weapons, keys, hairspray, pepperspray,.rat-tail combs, nail files, electrical cords etc;;

80% of them have ended up buying a handgun for personal use..and refer friends to me,,most of them ask me to input their purchace.

I only do 1 student at a time, between 6 and 12 lessons=hours and i get a good feeling of passing down my knowledge and skills to a novice shooter or At least leaving them with enough knowledge and skills that they can continue their self education or decide its not for them.

To do the stupid men tricks we tend to do in introducing new shooters to the sport is senseless..

My daughter now 27 started with me at age 6 and was shooting full size govt mod by age 8 and reloading at 10. she has a CCW in Texas and can kick your ass..and very much a lady the rest of the time..

just an opinion for you to think about,..
Merry Christmas and Good shooting..
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]
i brought three rifles so my girlfriend would not get put off by the AR.  granted, not mush recoil but still loud and intimidating(? spellin).  She fired one round from my 22,  the one 15 round mag from my m1 carbine quickly and accuratly.  She then put that dowm, picked up my Black rifle and shot all my XM193 only looking back to see if i was loading her clips fast enough????????????  I was hoping for enthusiasim but this was getting expensive and embarressing.  She was an excelent shot her first time out.  Three shots with a dialed in EOTech and she asked me to pull it off and was leathal with a quickly sighty in (by her??) carry handle.  400 rnd later she was happy, horny, and friendly.  shes 6'5" 385 though
really 5'3" 105
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yep. Ya want to impress her? Impress her with how much fun shooting is, not how painful it can be.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have been in combat, shot competition, a LEO, into target, hunting and other activities..

For the last few years I have offered to teach new to the sport folks at no cost, basic shooting.

Me too. I don't have near the knowledge/ability for the rest of what you do, but starting with .22s is what I always do.

Hat's off to you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i brought three rifles so my girlfriend would not get put off by the AR.  granted, not mush recoil but still loud and intimidating(? spellin).  She fired one round from my 22,  the one 15 round mag from my m1 carbine quickly and accuratly.  She then put that dowm, picked up my Black rifle and shoot all my XM193 only looking back to see if i was loading her clips fast enough????????????  I was hoping for enthusiasim but this was getting expensive and embarressing.  She was an excelent shot her first time out.  Three shots with a dialed in EOTech and she asked me to pull it off and was leathal with a quickly sighty in (by her??) carry handle.  400 rnd later she was happy, horny, and friendly.  shes 6'5" 385 though
really 5'3" 105

magazines
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too. I don't have near the knowledge/ability for the rest of what you do, but starting with .22s is what I always do.

Hat's off to you.

I took a friend out shooting for the first time...  I started her off 38spcl wadcutter loads..   (very light)  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

up to a 38
and on to 9mm and .45,(though .9mm tends to bark more than the 45 in my opinion)

We usually get together for a cup of coffee on the first meeting, discuss safety, their expectations, why they are interested in starting shooting etc..if i get the wrong "vibe" i ask them to get another teacher..

70% are female.
all have something to say about an ex boyfrined. ex husband, uncle, cousin etc that basiclly seemed to want to get a laugh at their responce to a "big gun" vs teaching them anything,,
my god, what assholes..

so we start small, move up the ranks in size and style, get comfortable, and we move on to, accuracy, then reloads, reloads while moving, maintainance,  learned muscle skills, awareness in life and observance of surrondings, general attitude of not being a victim, cover, practice, basic combat skills and alternate weapons, keys, hairspray, pepperspray,.rat-tail combs, nail files, electrical cords etc;;

80% of them have ended up buying a handgun for personal use..and refer friends to me,,most of them ask me to input their purchace.

I only do 1 student at a time, between 6 and 12 lessons=hours and i get a good feeling of passing down my knowledge and skills to a novice shooter or At least leaving them with enough knowledge and skills that they can continue their self education or decide its not for them.

To do the stupid men tricks we tend to do in introducing new shooters to the sport is senseless..

My daughter now 27 started with me at age 6 and was shooting full size govt mod by age 8 and reloading at 10. she has a CCW in Texas and can kick your ass..and very much a lady the rest of the time..

just an opinion for you to think about,..
Merry Christmas and Good shooting..

So  true.  All the men in my life have been here shoot this.  Nothing about how to sight down the barrel or anything.  Of course, I'm going to be discouraged because I can't hit the target.   I just ran into this:  I was actually sighting down the gun right.  Both eyes open and target somewhat blurry.  Anyway, I'm not hitting my mark.  So I ask how to properly sight down the gun, and he says, I suppose based on my marksmanship, to just make the bottom sight level with the end of the barrel.  WTF!  I know now that's it's a total squeezing the trigger thing and trying to anticipate the recoil thing.  But that's only because I asked Arfcom.  I've been lucky enough, to expect a kick from the larger calibers.  I totally think that shooting a weapon is something a woman should know how to do properly.  Don't go screwing around with a chick trying to look like the "man".  She'll figure it out soon enough...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Immature assholes who don't deserve
girlfriends (or guns) in the first place.
Thats why.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#17]
i'm sorry i refered to a magazine as a clip. I know it was wrong.

edit: there was 100 or so other words in the post pertaining to the thread.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
SFR, did she tell you she liked it? Or did she say it still sucked.

once she got the hang of it she had a blast, kept shooting for an hour. The whole time she stuck with the 38 with wadcutters, it was no prob at all.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#19]
It varies from person to person. Some people really like the bigger stuff right off the bat. Maybe it's the power or something? .22 isn't enough to get them excited about it.

Case in point. First time firing a gun ever.

5 minutes later.

about 40 minutes later.

Now, she certainly wasn't Annie Oakley by the end of the day, but she had fun and wants to go again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:04:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Guys that do that to women (or anyone else for that matter)  are pathetic losers that don't even realize how small they become to  others.

I LOVE taking women to the range or other safe place to teach them to shoot handguns.   I usually put a little emphasis on them  having the ability to  Control  all that power with their hands.... seems to be a sure way to boost their enthusiasm and concentration.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:09:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Hell I was shooting a 12ga before I was 9 the girls a little bitch. Cowboy up!

By the way I was just being an ass  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:34:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i brought three rifles so my girlfriend would not get put off by the AR.  granted, not mush recoil but still loud and intimidating(? spellin).  She fired one round from my 22,  the one 15 round mag from my m1 carbine quickly and accuratly.  She then put that dowm, picked up my Black rifle and shoot all my XM193 only looking back to see if i was loading her clips fast enough????????????  I was hoping for enthusiasim but this was getting expensive and embarressing.  She was an excelent shot her first time out.  Three shots with a dialed in EOTech and she asked me to pull it off and was leathal with a quickly sighty in (by her??) carry handle.  400 rnd later she was happy, horny, and friendly.  shes 6'5" 385 though
really 5'3" 105

magazines

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It varies from person to person. Some people really like the bigger stuff right off the bat. Maybe it's the power or something? .22 isn't enough to get them excited about it.

5 minutes later.

about 40 minutes later.

Now, she certainly wasn't Annie Oakley by the end of the day, but she had fun and wants to go again.

If I had a friend that hot to shoot with, I would do my absolute best to get her into the program so she'd keep me company at the range the next time around!

Good work!

EyeSpy
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:59:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/gemdancer0/shooting095.jpg

5 minutes later.
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/gemdancer0/shooting098.jpg

about 40 minutes later.
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/gemdancer0/shooting118.jpg

what, no eye protection?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:06:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't have a .22, so I start them with a 6" Ruger GP100 with .38 loads.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Stupidity, I saw a guy at the local range hand his wife a 44 mag single action revolver. He told her to cock the hammer and pull the trigger, she was wee and was not ready for the recoil, topstrap hit her in the face.

What a dickhead.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:18:18 AM EDT
[#27]

This woman is DANGEROUS!!

Seriously, those pics rock.  It's awesome to see a good looking woman getting into guns.  

Steve, you are a lucky man, indeed..
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5 minutes later.

about 40 minutes later.

what, no eye protection?

Chuck Norris didnt need eye protection.

But in all seriousness, I would start them with a .22 as well.  Thats something that isnt terribly loud and no recoil.  Then maybe to a .223, since its basically the same.  Just in a heavier gun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5 minutes later.

about 40 minutes later.

what, no eye protection?

Chuck Norris didnt need eye protection.

+1

and neither do I.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
really 5'3" 105

magazines

+1

Not so fast guys. He could have been loading stripper clips for her!

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

5 minutes later.

about 40 minutes later.

LOL, the change in stance from the first pic to the second says it all. She's hooked.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I started my wife off on a 10/22. She quickly moved up to an SKS, and then pretty much any rifle she could get her mitts on--including an Enfield in .303, brass buttplate and all.

With the pistols she started with a Colt .22. She loved it. My Model 19 with a 2 inch barrel? Not so much. The rental G19? It needs to be belt fed. She was terrified of my 10 inch bbl Ruger Blackhawk in .44. I loaded it with .44 specials and talked her into shooting it. She got over her fear, but still hates revolvers.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 What an asshat!

I would be the chick.  At least I figured it out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#34]
The whole reason why I bought a Ruger Mk II was so that I'd have something to teach new shooters that doesn't have heavy recoil. If they're comfortable enough with the .22, I MAY move them up to a 9mm BHP.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The whole reason why I bought a Ruger Mk II was so that I'd have something to teach new shooters that doesn't have heavy recoil. If they're comfortable enough with the .22, I MAY move them up to a 9mm BHP.

You dont own an ar
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You dont own an ar

CA. 'nuff said
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What ever causes this seems to work for them because they get to leave with the girl and you don't.

hehehe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top