Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 3:36:17 PM EDT
I was thinking of getting this plasma monitor.

Good/bad? Any other plasma owners out there?

-mac
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
wtf is maxent? If it's not Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, LG, Toshiba, etc, it's probably no good.

Also it's only an EDTV. You can get real 42" plasma HDTV's for ~$2k now, EDTV's really have no use any more.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Do not buy one without doing lots of research.  I did this for days before finally deciding on a 42" LCD (upgrading from my current 27" LCD HDTV).  Plasma emits a lot of heat, uses more electricity, is heavier.  Go here and hereto read some reviews.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do not buy one without doing lots of research.  I did this for days before finally deciding on a 42" LCD (upgrading from my current 27" LCD HDTV).  Plasma emits a lot of heat, uses more electricity, is heavier.  Go here to read some reviews.

LCD's are dim, washed out, and have the screen-door effect...

DLP's emit rainbows and have slow processing which causes the sound to lag behind the picture...

projectors require a dark room and bulb replacements...

All technologies have their drawbacks. For me, power usage and heat output were not as important as image quality, viewing angle, brightness, etc.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Also it's only an EDTV. You can get real 42" plasma HDTV's for ~$2k now, EDTV's really have no use any more.

Any specific ones you recommend?  Getting my dad one for Christmas, but I am completely lost in the realm of HDTVs
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Pioneer 42". It is outstanding with HDTV Dishnetwork, and a 1080i upconverting LG dvd player. I would not stray from the major brands, and even then, I would only consider Pioneer, Sony, and Panasonic first.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
My apologies but I had to do it. Do any plasma TV's come in a 40watt range?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
You must have seen some real bad LCDs
The common complaint about LCD TVs is that their black isn't very black.  On my 27" LCD TV the worst offender is ghosting, but with a faster response time, ghosting goes away.  It's not a theory either, I have four LCD monitors, from 12" on a notebook to a 23" HP.  Ghosting doesn't exist on any of them, but my 27" LCD was an entry model
40 Watt range?  Try 357 Watts (power consumption) on a Panasonic 42" Plasma  My 42" LCD HDTV is rated at 220 Watts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 3 Panasonics PDU 50's and they are awesome and very affordable.Word on the Plasma forums is the Panasonics Plasmas are rated the best for picture quality.
Here where I bought mine very good reputable place to deal with...

www.plasmadepot.com

Good Luck annd stay away for the Maxent's!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Will the standard Plasmas work at 8,000+ elevation?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have this one and absolutely love it.  No problems whatsoever, it does put off alot of heat, but hey im in Alaska so its aight .  Rich color, and HD looks like your there.  Paid $1600 for it at Costco.

www.samsung.com/Products/TV/PlasmaTV/SPR4212XXAA.asp
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a name brand plasma. And HD also make sure it has atleast two HDMI's and at cable card slot the cable card is great for getting rid of the big old cable box.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Get a name brand plasma. And HD also make sure it has atleast two HDMI's and at cable card slot the cable card is great for getting rid of the big old cable box.

HDMI is sweet. Digital video and audio all on 1 slim cable!

It is great if you just use the speakers on the TV. Since I have a Denon surround system I use the HDMI for video, but disable sound on the TV. I then run optical audio cable from the DVD & dishnetwork box to the Denon receiver.

Word on the Plasma forums is the Panasonics Plasmas are rated the best for picture quality.

When I was at the store looking at the plasma screens I thought that the Pioneer had the best picture when they were side by side with other brands. It seemed to have a clearer picture and more vivid colors than even the Sony or Panasonic. Of course this was about a year ago, so perhaps Panasonic has a new model out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top