Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 1:13:18 PM EDT
So I bought one of the used A1 (USGI) uppers from CDNN, since I had a lower lying around with no upper, and figured these were so cheap - at $269 - that it would be a shame to not get one.  I also bought a A1 stock, just to make it a little more appropriate (even though the lower is an A2 lower, and the grip is still A2 as well).  It's not like I'm trying to build an A1 replica or anything, but the A1 stock was really cheap, and I thought it went well with the triangular handguards.  Since they come without the bolt carrier group and charging handle, I put in a Model 1 Sales bolt carrier group and handle - that I had left over from another rifle, and that cost $85 (so the total cost for the complete upper was about $365, including shipping).  

Thus, this TRULY is a Frankegun of the best kind.  

Anyway - I took it to the range, and after shooting a couple of mags at 25 yards, I adjusted the sights (took me a minute to figure out the A1 sights ) and moved the target to 100 yards.  Here's the result - firing 28 rounds in 2 minutes, unsupported (with crappy XM193PD ammo - one of which failed to fire).

I'm pretty happy with that kind of "minute of head" accuracy at 100 yards, especially with iron sights, bad ammo and not too much time between shots.

All in all, I LOVE this upper (the pencil barrel rocks).  So much that I ordered another one, but was told that they had just run out (I guess I got one of the last ones).  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I love A1s.

Thats sweet bro.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking gun. The AK accuracy is not so nice, but at least it's cheap and reliable.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nice looking gun. The AK accuracy is not so nice, but at least it's cheap and reliable.

Huh?

FWIW, 100yards iron sigts and unsupported 28 rnds in 2 minutes, that a great target and good shooting.  My A1 pencil does about the same - the light weight can't be beat!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks.

I have no doubt that the upper is capable of much better accuracy than that, but given the restrictions I placed on this "test" I'm pretty happy.  

Were I to throw on a cheapo handle-mounted scope and use some better ammo, I'd expect the group to probably be half the size, especially if I took my time for each shot.     I'll try that next time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I love A1s.

Thats sweet bro.

Thanks!

I swear this thing FEELS lighter than my 10" SBR   - I really like the pencil barrel!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried calling on Tues. to get one of those GI uppers. No luck, they were sold out, so I had to pay $100 more and settle for the Colt SP1 upper

Im doing the same type of frankengun  except for a Sabre Defence Lower/BCG, RRA lpk, and a DPMS charge handle. Should have it all by this coming week.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]
DANG!

I was getting ready to order one of those.

Does anyone make a matching lower for the A1 upper?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle!

I love the balance and light weight of those A1 pattern rifles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
They had brand new old stock Colt complete A1 uppers with m-16 carriers and bolts at the gun show today for 400 bucks. I was so tempted.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They had brand new old stock Colt complete A1 uppers with m-16 carriers and bolts at the gun show today for 400 bucks. I was so tempted.

With carrier/bolt, that sounds like a great deal !!!

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I own several styles of AR's. I built me a CDNN AR15A1  It is my favorite rifle. My go to rifle actually. You did good. WarDawg
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The A1 is my favorite.

I put on a carry handle scope mount and topped it with weaver rings and a 3x9 scope.  

Groups with cheapest wolf 62 fmj are about 2 1/2".  Wolf hollow points shoot about like your target.  The fmj's are much better.

A scope makes a difference.  I use an Aimpoint M2 for fast shooting up close, it is wonderful.

Happy A1 times.

Mike S
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks good.

I love the classic lines of the A1 triangular handguards.

The best part is you have a great looking gun for not a lot of money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top