Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 1:11:09 PM EDT
There are some interviews from NPR that are offered via streaming from the NPR website, but I'd like to save the entire audio file on the HD.
It sems to be  a .smil format if that helps.

Any sugestion for a free / open source software?????

TIA
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump, cuz I wanna know too.    There simply HAS to be something that captures streaming audio that y'all can recommend.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Download graphedit  and  see  what you can come up with.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
One program for this I know of is named "Total Recorder", it is supposed to allow you to record any sounds your computer plays, from any source.
----
Creative soundcards in general can do this too in some cases--you use the Creative sound recorder, and set the source to "what U hear" or "system mixer", whichever of the two is present. And then the sound recording captures anything the PC plays.  
The last PC I put together (about a year ago) had a Creative Audigy soundcard, and included in the usual drivers/utilities,,, it has some thing in there that records streaming soundcasts. I think. I've never tried to use it. It seems to have a "timer" feature, like a VCR that you can set to record.... ? I messed with it a bit once and it didn't appear to be able to do anything else (the regular audio recorder utility is another program) but Windows doesn't allow you to record DRM protected files. Usually. So I dunno if it would let you do that.  
~
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
google audacity. It's freeware that will record what is playing out of your soundcard. Really easy to use.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
XMMS on *nix can rip streams to mp3.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
www.goldwave.com  Goldwave is a free shareware.  At the same time, from the same place, download the LAME (that is the name, not a description) MP3 encoder.

You can set it to record while the audio is streaming in.  Set it to record mono, not stereo.

Once it is done, do not save as a WAV file (huge!) but rather as a MP3 file.  And if it is just voice interview, not music, you can save at a much lower sampling rate, such as 48.  This will reduce the file size even further.

Don't let that special interview you really want be the first time you try this.  Learn to use the program by recording other audio.  IM me if you have any problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top