Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2005 1:47:16 PM EDT
Seems like a nice guy and i know he was active then guard or reserves but i dont know if i believe his stories, afganistan on oct 14 calling himself a "Ranger" even though he wasn't ever with Ranger Regiment.  Saying he went to sniper school, ranger school, sear school, airborne... afganistan iraq how could you even do that much in 7 years?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
ask to see his papers, put up or stfu
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]
tell him to prove it by showing you a copy of his DD214.  he'll come up with some excuse like "uhh, they dont show that I went secretly" or "uhh, it was lost in a fire"

then you can laugh at him and call him a liar.

then again, maybe he did do that stuff, either way the DD214 will tell all.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
tell him to prove it by showing you a copy of his DD214.  he'll come up with some excuse like "uhh, they dont show that I went secretly" or "uhh, it was lost in a fire"

would DD214 have all his school?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I mean it could be possible the guy seems to know alot but who knows he could have just read up on it.  Hmmm what would be a good way to ask without saying that he is full of shit?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to work with a guy who said he was special something....he used to go down to central america and "provide cover" for the DEA.    Said he blew out both knees doing a "HALO" jump.  He was such a gomer, there is no way he was telling the truth.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, we have been known to expose posers in the past.  We had a good one going in the Team Forum a few months ago.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
God, I hate posers!

Be proud of what you've accomplished! If you can't be proud, then go out and do something you CAN be proud of, but don't pretend to be something you're not!

I have a good friend (haven't spoken in years, though) who claims to have gone all the way through Green Beret training. He has more certificates than you can wallpaper a house with. Yet he's never once been in an active unit. Hell, even during GWI he didn't get called up! AT ALL!.

Now, I don't want to call him a liar, but I'll be damned if I don't wonder how someone can go through all the SF pipeline while only in ROTC and the reserves.

But hey, I was Navy. Maybe the Army is different.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't know about schools, but it WILL list all "certifications" such as Ranger and such. I'd have to dig mine up to see if it has schools on it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]
DD 214, E.R.B., 201 File, Or just ask him what his Ranger class # was. If he doesn't know right off the bat, he's full of shit. Ask to see a pic of his class at Ft. Benning, if he keeps finding excuses why he can't produce any of these pics or documents it makes it more fun for you to watch him squirm. I do it ALL the time when I hear shit-talking from bullshit badasses that never think they'll get called out on it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know about schools, but it WILL list all "certifications" such as Ranger and such. I'd have to dig mine up to see if it has schools on it.

just checked should be under paragraph 14
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#13]
always makes you laugh really.  but why do you need to point him out?  why not just let him believe he is something special.  I mean sure hes a shit bag but do you need to drag it all over the place in public.  

the funny thing is that guys in the military do the same thing about the civilian lives they had before.  always boning a hotter chick.  or having a better paying job.  or maybe there brother is a seal or marine sniper.  who knows really who cares.  in the end you either have to continue working with the guy.  whether laying in your fighting possition or sitting two desks down from the guy.  no use causing a problem that doesn't have to be there.  never know when someone is gonna go ballistic.  

maybe hes saying the other things because he was some pog who always got made fun of in the service.  maybe his remf badge wasn't good enough for his ego and sooner or later hes gonna prove everyone wrong.

I just don't see how making him look like an ass really helps at all.

Im proud of what I do in the army Im proud of my wings and hope to get some air assualt wings in the spring take what you can get.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
How about logging on to Military.Com, and doing a search, and then call him over, with others nearby, and ask him what's his full name, so we can see what his status is/was.......after showing everyone yours (if you were prior military).

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:  why not just let him believe he is something special.  I mean sure hes a shit bag but do you need to drag it all over the place in public.

If he wants a Ranger tab, he can take his sorry-ass to Ranger school and sweat it out for 72 days with no sleep, no food, constant discomfort and fear of failure. No, if he didn't go than he needs to shut his friggin mouth or be humiliated.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#16]
so i register with a AKO email and then I can lookup other service members?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#17]
hey i am not saying he is a shit bag at all i am just wondering if he is telling the truth...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]
hmmm,   seems like he could have done all that in about three years.  As far as seeing his DD214, I know if someone asked to see mine I'd tell them to shit in one hand and wish in the other.

Of course I'm not one to tell stories.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:  why not just let him believe he is something special.  I mean sure hes a shit bag but do you need to drag it all over the place in public.

If he wants a Ranger tab, he can take his sorry-ass to Ranger school and sweat it out for 72 days with no sleep, no food, constant discomfort and fear of failure. No, if he didn't go than he needs to shut his friggin mouth or be humiliated.

holy shit!! is that what Rangers go through these days?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

holy shit!! is that what Rangers go through these days?

I certainly haven't been, though I'd like to go (i'm moderately skeptical of my own ability to make it through something that's as tough as Ranger school reportedly is, but the one thing i won't do is quit of my own accord, so who knows? [shrug]), but yes, 2 MREs/day, big ass ruck, lots of miles on your feet, and many nights of little to no sleep, from what i hear.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted: why not just let him believe he is something special. I mean sure hes a shit bag but do you need to drag it all over the place in public

Yes, this needs to be done.  The sacrifice the real-deal guys make to keep me and my kids safe in this world is too great, and too honarable, to be cheapened by some asshole.

I have never been military (I have spent my life making the stuff they use) but the guys I know who are and have been, have earned my gratitude and admiration.  I have no patience for posers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Seems like a nice guy and i know he was active then guard or reserves but i dont know if i believe his stories, afganistan on oct 14 calling himself a "Ranger" even though he wasn't ever with Ranger Regiment.  Saying he went to sniper school, ranger school, sear school, airborne... afganistan iraq how could you even do that much in 7 years?

You can do that much in 7 years. But if he was not in Regiment, he was no Ranger. He may have been tabbed, many guys with tabs think they are Rangers.

ETA have him bark off the Ranger creed while at work.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Actually, if he was in the 19th or 20th SFGs, it is possible for him to have done that. Airborne school is 3 weeks, and SERE isn't much longer. Both are required in the SF training pipeline. Sniper school and Ranger school aren't that long either. All told, becoming fully SF qualified takes about 2 years. Tack on a few schools which are available to National Guard SF guys and you still have time for overseas tours.

There are legit NGSF guys around who don't necessarily fit the stereotype. There is at least one taxedermist from Mississippi or Alabama, a NASA engineer, several accountants, and even a few college students.

This guy probably isn't the real thing, but the the schools and deployments you listed are possible. What kind of stories is he telling?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I was a cook.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
How about logging on to Military.Com, and doing a search, and then call him over, with others nearby, and ask him what's his full name, so we can see what his status is/was.......after showing everyone yours (if you were prior military).

I can't find myself or any of my buddies on Military.com, for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Not to pee in anybodys wheaties, but few government-related documents are correct.

My DD-214 is incomplete, and what it does list is not all correct.  I even have VA records that have
incorrect rank (bumped me up to 0-3), branch of service, time of service, and combat tours.  It used to bother me, but after trying to correct it for awhile (with NO help what-so-friggin-ever) I figure WTF,
nobody cares.

One of the greatest lessons anyone takes out of "the service" is that the government can screw up a wet dream.

But as for this guy, the ones who are/were, generally don't talk about it.  Very few SF guys I've known ever brought it up, and none ever bragged about it to people.  They aren't called "quiet professionals" for nothing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Former ranger here.  Served my country in the woods..
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#28]
If your DD-214 is not correct that is your fault since when you ETS you go and talk to the person who types the stuff out. All those schools are easy to get in 7 years, I got my airborne wings, EIB, air assualt badge, and 6 foreign jump wings in 3 years. Ask the guy how RIP was, if he doesn't immediately laugh and give a detailed story about it he is a liar. Later
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I get so sick of one of the guys I work with going on and on about being a SEAL. He is a short little loud/ motor-mouthed turd with a Napolean complex and after 10 years of it, I've had enough.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#30]
A jerk-off I used to work with that was a security guard where I worked said he was special forces or some such shit down in Central America.  Funny thing was, he did have 4 bullet hole scars in his back, so who knows...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

How do you do that?  I went over that and don't see how.

How far back does it go?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#32]

If your DD-214 is not correct that is your fault since when you ETS you go and talk to the person who types the stuff out..................originally posted by trdvet

I love guys like you...............I just love 'em

"I went here/did that", does not a HARD COPY of official orders make.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If your DD-214 is not correct that is your fault since when you ETS you go and talk to the person who types the stuff out..................originally posted by trdvet

Thanks for the love but I'm not .....I'm not gloating just merely giving an example of what is possible in a short amount of time...I know guys with really nothing in 3 years and some that blow my shit away, now stop talking like Yoda.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Id do it, but Im afraid to jump (Im not afraid to admit it!)...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#35]
affraid to jump?  are you kidding thats the best part.  its the bullshit hoops they make you jump through on the way.  all the jmpi all the sitting around slapping your ass screaming airborne.  One of my section sgts has his r tab and a scroll from iraq.  hes a really good guy and shoots straight from the hip.  He told me that rip pre ranger and even parts of the mountain school aren't shit.  if you think it is than you shouldn't have been a ranger.  I score in the 310s right now and Im in alaska.  do you know how hard it is to run a 1230 in alaska?  sure others do better but Im still working on it.  I think one day I will go off and do pre ranger.  but I will deploy in october first.  do a year in the box and come back.  theres no point in getting a dozen ribbons on your chest if they all just say you are capable of something if you never actually do it.

thats just me.  so what do you do now when the guy at works pulls out his ako account online and shows you his erb or the personelle records?  when it says all his classes and he looks at you like a prick for not beleiving him?  I guess maybe its alot different for you but I didn't believe one of the guys in my unit when he said he played on a professional paintball team I liked.  I pretty much called him a liar.  sure enough he pulls out in the barracks a picture of him in uniform next to all his buddies.  has a half dozen videos of him playing.  You know how I felt?  I called one of the guys I rely on a shitbird for making shit up and I feel like an ass everyday now.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I have a good friend (haven't spoken in years, though) who claims to have gone all the way through Green Beret training. He has more certificates than you can wallpaper a house with. Yet he's never once been in an active unit. Hell, even during GWI he didn't get called up! AT ALL!.

Now, I don't want to call him a liar, but I'll be damned if I don't wonder how someone can go through all the SF pipeline while only in ROTC and the reserves.

Was/is he Reserves or National Guard?  There are two Special Forces Groups in the Guard, the 19th and 20th.  It's possible that he was in one of those and didn't go anywhere.

And other random thoughts.

Instead of looking at a DD214, which isn't considered a source document, ask for his orders for awards, tabs, skill badges etc.

7 years is a long time really. A person could easily get through all those schools in that time period.

You don't have to be jump qualified to go to Ranger school. There are lots of "leg" tab wearers out there.  Even more now that the school has been opened up to all MOS's.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you do that?  I went over that and don't see how.

How far back does it go?

www.military.com/Military/Locator/New/Results/1,11990,,00.html

I tried it here, and my name came up.  Not sure how far it goes back, but mine was 15 years ago........double check, and make sure you use your true full, legal name.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the love but I'm not .....I'm not gloating just merely giving an example of what is possible in a short amount of time...I know guys with really nothing in 3 years and some that blow my shit away, now stop talking like Yoda.

You totally missed my sarcasm, not that it surprises me.  I was referring to your 71L remark, and how ignorant people hink"Gloat" all you want, I have plenty of salt grains.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#39]
saying you should fix your own record book before you ETS is such horseshit. when that golden day came i didnt give a fuck what it said because any inquiries slow down the process. when i got off active i had 00000 for an ASVAB score, a 190 for a rifle score, no swim qual and no MOS. when i became a reservist i was able to fix the MOS, most of the school listings and the rifle score. i still have an ASVAB of 00000 in my SRB  (service record book) and a shitload of other errors. the only thing they managed to get right was my name and social.

back on topic:
i once met a guy in my first post-military civilian job that dropped hints and made Marine references for a few months before i finally bit the hook and asked him who/what/when. he claimed to be from my unit (although i hadnt mentioned it), and to have taken part in a MEU/SOC float we were part of. he didnt know the ship, the training ops, the ports of call and when i brought in my cruise book he said "whats that" HAHAHA when you spend that much time on a boat you know everyone in the company and you damn sure know the name of your boat.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Tag!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#41]
They give diplomas at the end of school, ask to see his.  Tell him how dashing and gallant it would be to have them on the walls at the office, offer to help him frame them.  Be a sport.

I have more than one DD214, on one of them I have two basic training ribbons, so I have BMT with an OLC for a decoration, go figure that one.  You are supposed to provide your admin puke with copies of all diplomas and certificates to have them added to your DD214, that is what they told me anyway.  If you have a screwed up DD214 you have to provide hardcopies of paperwork to get it fixed.

There is paper someplace on the guy anyone without paperwork is a liar.

My dad was in the 101st in WWII.  For the 50th anni of WWII they had a reunion and it seems hundreds of poseurs families got them tickets to the blessed event.  His unit had 140 more guys in 1995 than it had in 1945.  They broke out the unit pictures and other records and quietly disinvited several people after the opening days events.  Getting caught in a 50 year whopper hurt pretty good, better to squash it early, do it for the kids.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

72 days with no sleep or food, You'd be long dead.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I was a cook.

Death from with in.

I did't serve wasn't my thing.  I feel sorry for posers.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#44]
every time i hear "i was a ranger", my first question is "which batt?"  it is a nonaggressive question, and trips up 90% of the posers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:53:13 AM EDT
[#45]

olyarms; 72 days with no sleep or food, You'd be long dead

You would be amazed how long you can go with little or no sleep and not much to eat. Listening to some fatass in New Orleans bitch because,  "dai din't gets to eat fo twenty-foh ow-whas" was pretty funny.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was/is he Reserves or National Guard?  There are two Special Forces Groups in the Guard, the 19th and 20th.  It's possible that he was in one of those and didn't go anywhere.

Definitely reserves, not sure if he ever did NG.

At the time he qual'd, I am almost certain he was NOT in a NG formation, but "almost certain" doesn't cut it.

I don't want to doubt the guy. It's all he ever wanted, and he was certainly strong and insane enough to get it, but for some reason I just can't get past the smell test on this one.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
They give diplomas at the end of school, ask to see his.  Tell him how dashing and gallant it would be to have them on the walls at the office, offer to help him frame them.  Be a sport.

now that is a great way of doing it.  not hostile.  and most any body who wasn't retarded which he should have been should still have there I love you book still stuffed with all there orders promotions and cheapo little diplomas.  don't forget that it is possible to photoshop that stuff.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I have plenty of salt grains.

Cool
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Ive got a guy in my unit who looks and sounds just like the guy in "scary movie 2" who was in the wheelchair and could suck his own dick.  The guy is prior service 12B and now an aircraft electrician, inprocessed the unit looking like a PX Ranger with every patch known to man on the left side of his uniform.  I had a few guys calling BS until I showed them the thickness of his training packet that is school certificates about a 1/4 inch thick, our S1 is trying to figure out how theyre gonna fix his NCOER from last year because he bounced around different schools for a year and PCS'd right afterwards, no rater to be found.  They do exist, bt in my experience they gotta be some goofy bastards to fit the bill.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
every time i hear "i was a ranger", my first question is "which batt?"  it is a nonaggressive question, and trips up 90% of the posers.

And if they do give it they just rattle of the numbers real quick like with out thinking.  Hell the ones I've known I just new they where in the army.  I had no clue they where untill I saw the tab on the uniform.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top