Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2005 4:47:10 PM EDT
Anyone have a GPS that they would recomend to a hiker.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#1]
damn!  I thought you were giving one away.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Garmin Rhino 130 and like it. The two way radio is a nice feature, as it sends your location to other rhino users. Everyone in my hunting group uses Rhino's so we can know where each other is, to help when needed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah ... Don't know if they still make it but the Garmin GPS V is a hand held GPS that comes with a car mount and the maps for the entire nation on CD-ROM.  My wife and I do a lot of out doors stuff and the thing is indispensible.  Works awesome in the city and outdoors.  My only gripe is the satellite acquisition time.  At times, it seems like it can take up to one minute before it's ready to go.  I highly recommend this unit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Garmin Etrex Legend.  They can be had for ~$160 these days.

They're the cheapest Garmin with a built in base map, meaning you get roads down to about the state secondary road level, plus big rivers, lakes, etc...   You can get cheaper GPS's,  but most don't have any kind of map built in.

Mine has worked well in woods or in the car.  Runs about 12-15 hours on 2 AA's.

The newest Garmins (Etrex Legend C comes to mind) run around $240.  They have a built in basemap that has the capability to navigate using the map- meaning with the old one, if you said, I want to drive to Chicago, it would say "Chicago, 380 miles NW, 322 degrees".   The newest one will guide you based on the roads, rather than just showing them.   Has a better color display, and battery life over 20 hours.

I'm happy with their Regular Etrex Legend.  A good all around GPS, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I know you can't search the archives, so I did it for you.  There have been lots of threads in the SF about this, and a lot of smart people had a lot of great info and comments.

Personally, I have, and love my magellan meridian gold, I think i would do platinum if I were doing it now, for the compass feature that is independant of the satellites.

garmin and magellin are both quality companies based on all feedback.

check

here

here

and

here
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll add to the growing list of people who like garmins, I've been using a Garmin Rino 120 for almost two years and it works well.  I have the CD's of maps of the USA and if I'm traveling to a new location I simply download a map of that area to my gps and off I go.  Buy some 2400 ma rechargeable AA's and you'll be set.  Using a GPS has saved my ass more times than I would like to admit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know you can't search the archives, so I did it for you. ...

he also can't view the archives.

nice gesture, though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know you can't search the archives, so I did it for you. ...

he also can't view the archives.

nice gesture, though.

I had no idea.  I thought anyone could see them if they knew where to look.

Steed, sorry man.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a old Garmin eMap works like a champ
they are all over ebay for cheap
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll add to the growing list of people who like garmins, I've been using a Garmin Rino 120 for almost two years and it works well.  I have the CD's of maps of the USA and if I'm traveling to a new location I simply download a map of that area to my gps and off I go.  Buy some 2400 ma rechargeable AA's and you'll be set.  Using a GPS has saved my ass more times than I would like to admit.

I have an etrex legend. It often has serious issues with its current location.. telling me I am 20 miles form an airport when I am right on top of it. I checked the est error and it said 50 ft.. Maybe mine is defective.. I don't trust it to much... I do trust me garmin gps for my car though..
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the garmin rhino 130. looks like a good GPs for the price.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]
good info.  thx
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

garmin and magellin are both quality companies based on all feedback.

I agree 100%.  You really can't go wrong with either one.

Decide whether you want the GPS unit to tell you just your position, waypoints, and cities, or if you want it to have street/topo maps internally stored and displayed.  Personally, I'm happy to have the simple (and cheaper) GPS and navigate with that and a paper map with a compass as backup.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have the Garmin Rhino 130 and like it. The two way radio is a nice feature, as it sends your location to other rhino users. Everyone in my hunting group uses Rhino's so we can know where each other is, to help when needed.

Do you have a link for those?(  to buy)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I could not agree more.  It's getting a bit dated by today's standards with its limited 19mb(?) of memory for detailed maps, but it is adequate for my purposes.  Love the autorouting.

Quoted:
Yeah ... Don't know if they still make it but the Garmin GPS V is a hand held GPS that comes with a car mount and the maps for the entire nation on CD-ROM.  My wife and I do a lot of out doors stuff and the thing is indispensible.  Works awesome in the city and outdoors.  My only gripe is the satellite acquisition time.  At times, it seems like it can take up to one minute before it's ready to go.  I highly recommend this unit.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd go with a Magellan GPS 310 or a 315. Make sure to buy one with a data cable if you plan to use it with a laptop with a mapping software, for added convenience such a visual map.

Inexpensive set-up under 100 bucks:

1. Magellan GPS 310 - $50-80
2. OziExplorer GPS mapping software(windows) or QGPS (linux) - free
3. Data cable - they used to give this away for free, try contacting Magellan they may have some extra around gathering dust - free
4. Old laptop - free

Best set-up

Trimble Navigation, hands down one of the best industrial bullet proof system.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top