Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2005 10:53:25 PM EDT
What to do?    Found in the middle of the road 5 hrs ago but still alive.

Taking water and some food but not moving much.

Any help would be nice!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn osprey's are just falling out of the sky.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Edit cause i changed my mind....just microwave it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Bird flu?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Talk to 688maneuvering (I think that was his name). He took care of a baby bird and raised it up all the way to adulthood.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Contact your nearest animal shelter, tell them you found the osprey, and make sure to tell them it's an endangered species and that they need to get hold of someone higher up. It'll likely end up in the possession of a falconer who will care for it and take it on shows to educate kids.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I never could spell worth a shit, thanks for bringing it it up, but, the question stil stands?

I don't want to see this bird die.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:10:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Hello sailhertoo.

Wildlife Sanctuary of NW Florida  105 North "S" Street, Pcola, FL    850-433-9453

They handle the real wild animals for FREE.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#9]
go buy some of this at your local pet store . get a small eye dropper and mix food with water so that it it easily sucked up by eye dropper . feed to bird , careful do not jam eye dropper down its throat let the bird take the eye dropper down its own throat ( this is very important ) . dont flood its mouth , it will drown . and dont give him to much you will blow his craw up . keep him warm (night light in a box 5 or 6 inches away from him) good luck .

feed every 2 hours while your awake . (oh ya doesnt that sound like fun)

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:55:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably don't need to mention that they would have a diet made up essentially of 100% fish.
Good luck. Wash your hands, too, man ... Stay safe
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Let us know the outcome.  I would follow the advice given about getting it to someone who knows how to raise these birds.  I've watched Osprey catching trout on lakes here in NH.  Awesome birds.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#12]
You need to call a wildlife rescue group (as someone mentioned)

They will not eat birdseed, BTW

Unless you get that bird to a qualified avian veterinarian soon, its history

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Call or email these guys, they should have an idea:
The Florida Keys Raptor Migration Project
www.hawkwatch.org/keysmigration/

Where my parents live there is a guy who found a shot Red Tailed Hawk. The bullet destroyed the left wing, so it can't really fly. He has had it for over 12 years and it's his pet.
It hops on the back of his lab and goes for walks.
The hawk and one of the guys cats (before it died) used to play fight in the yard all of the time.
It was cool seeing a fur and feather screaching and yowling ball in the front yard. Most of the time the bird attacked the cat.

He had gotten a liscense from the feds to care for injured raptors, the local animal shelter and the sheriffs dept would give him injured eagles, hawks and owls all the time to care for.

For the bald eagles he had to keep track off the feathers and hand them over to the feds every time he either relinquised control of the bird, it died or he set it free.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the help.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#15]
They taste like chicken and are tender at that young age.

But for real give it up,  it is already a dead bird
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#16]
hey i thought there was saposta be an update , so what happened to the bird ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
hey i thought there was saposta be an update , so what happened to the bird ?

+1
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I sent him an IM.  Hopefully we'll find out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Turned out to be a Kestrel. He is recovering at the wildlife sancturary in Pensacola. Problably will not fly again though. Both wings were broke but I think he will be OK. They will keep him indefinitely.

Sure is a beautiful bird - wish I knew how to post a picture.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Will send you a gumbo recipe... they taste just like chicken.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Turned out to be a Kestrel. He is recovering at the wildlife sancturary in Pensacola. Problably will not fly again though. Both wings were broke but I think he will be OK. They will keep him indefinitely.

Thanks

thanks for the update .

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Thanks

Ok so you thought you had an OSPREY and it turned out to be an American Kestrel.
A full Grown American Kestrel is no where near the size of an Osprey.
The Osprey is 2 to 3 time larger.

Anyway glad to here you go it to some Qualified help.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Ok so you thought you had an OSPREY and it turned out to be an American Kestrel.
A full Grown American Kestrel is no where near the size of an Osprey.
The Osprey is 2 to 3 time larger.

Anyway glad to here you go it to some Qualified help.

He said he thought it was a baby Osprey.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:41:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Unreal.

The American Kestral is a facinating bird.

Did it survive?

American Kestral

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Unreal.

The American Kestral is a facinating bird.

Did it survive?

American Kestral

www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/photo_htm/Images/h3600p3.jpg

Quoted:

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#27]
"...a kestrel can spot a mouse from 1.5 km..."  (source) www.aber.ac.uk/media/Modules/MC10220/visper01.html

Glad to hear that this wild creature is recovering.  Is it any wonder that I for one prefer the company of animals over 99% of humans?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's is the deal on wildlife. Call your local Wildlife Commission first. In FL they usually don't give a shit.

In my case, all I need to do is call the University Of Florida Vet College, they have a 24 hour number and 24 hour staff. What they can do at UF to save animals rivals many human hospitals, you'd have to see it to believe it. Fish, turtles & reptiles, amphibians, birds, zoo animals, they will take anything. They will be building what will be the largest cancer treatment center for pets in the nation.  Not to mention, they care a lot more than any vet I've been too. Oddly, none of the local vets think to recommend them , they just tell you they do dogs & cats, you'll rarely find an avian vet.

Anyway, for future reference, find your closest vet college, do a little research and keep the contact numbers handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top