Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2001 6:40:52 PM EDT
For those who want, please take a minute and sign the petition to NASCAR and Dale Earnhardt's team owner, asking that number 3 be retired, and forever belong to the Intimdator. Thanks.

[url]http://www.petitiononline.com[/url]  
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If there is one thing in this universe that is certian,

one thing that needs no petition,

it is #3 being retired.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I just signed it.Also was at a craft store earlier this evening that sold model cars and picked up Earnhardts car it was the last one on the shelf.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm lovin it.

I have a pile of his cards, 3 certified autographed 8X10's, 1 "RaceUsedRubber" card, and 1 certified Autographed insert card of his.

Hate to see it happen, but he just payed my rent for the next 3 months.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Done.........
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
^^
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Done...with any luck #4 will NEVER be on another car.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm lovin it.

I have a pile of his cards, 3 certified autographed 8X10's, 1 "RaceUsedRubber" card, and 1 certified Autographed insert card of his.

Hate to see it happen, but he just payed my rent for the next 3 months.
View Quote

Real F--king tasteful McUZI.

Can I have an autographed McUZI picture, so I can get rich when you finally become subject to Darwins theory???

God speed Dale, you will be missed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Although not a DE fan, I do reconize what he has done for the sport. Petition signed.

McUzi...I usually enjoy your posts as they are funny, but that was tasteless, even for you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Well here goes, you guys are going to rail me for this but..... I love racing probably more so than any other person, and admired, and somewhat respected ol Dale, but you know if he was'nt running interference for his boys, trying to slow traffic at 190 mph he might still be alive. I know a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place win for his team was such a dream he would have done almost anything to keep it that way, I dont think it was worth it. but then again Dale is famous for his aggressive driving. I have always believed that racing is a fair sport, the fastest driver wins not the guy that can get in front and keep everyone from passing, as in the old bump and run. Dont hate me its just my opinion and we know how much that means. He wasnt my favorite but I will also miss him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#13]
YardDog....I understand what your saying, I've been into Nascar ever since a childhood friend, Ricky Rudd, made it into the big leagues. What you say is true, in my opinion, but it doesn't much matter now. I honestly think that Nascar has to share in some of the blame. Making these cars all equall was bound to bunch them all up. Dale was always the first to say that "this ain't racing". Nascar says that the rules were made to make it more competitive, but as I see it, Nascar got to where it is without such silly rules. Drop the rules, make it safer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Yea, I went to the Pepsi 400 last 4th of july at Daytona, It was a great time but I've got to tell ya it was kind of dull. great seats, great weather, sat next to some really friendly good looking girls, but that restrictor plate stuff has got to go. It slows down the fast ones making for a big group of cars with no place to go. I dont think the petition will have any impact. A very good idea but. I do believe they will retire the no.3 anyway, out of respect I dont see how they couldnt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
signed in
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't think this is the time to place the blame on any single driver.  As much as I love Dale, I don't blame Sterling for the incident, it was just 'racin.'  Sterling had a fast car, Dale and Co. had fast cars, you can't fault anyone for wanting to win.  You can blame Earnhardt to a final unselfish act.

This is how I look at it.  Earnhardt could have tried to win that race.  Any other day Dale would have tried to push his way to the front and taken the checkered flag.  That's Dale for you.  The 'Intimidator,' the guy 'who'd run his own son off the road' for the victory.

Last Sunday was a special day.  This one day, Dale took a step back and said, "let's let the little ones battle it out, and have their day in the sun."  

Sure the fact that one car was his son's and the other was another car he owned played a big role, but the old Dale wouldn't have let that hold him back, he'd pick up Sterling and a couple others, and Jr. and Michael would fall way back in the pack without any help.  

And that's how he lost his live, that final unselfish act to help Waltrip win his first race.

Hell, I don't particularly love M. Waltrip, I thought "what the heck???" when Earnhardt picked him up for his team, but while watching that race, I felt a bit of a change in my heart.  At first I was thinking, "come on Dale, 3 more to go, now's your chance to take Daytona again, this season's ours!"  Then when I saw what he was doing, blocking for his boys, and I heard DW's emotional cheers from the broadcast booth, I changed my tune.  

I started thinking, "yeah, this is how it should be, that would be great if Michael could win his first race under the watchful eye of his owner and his brother in the booth.  A 1-2-3 for DEI and RCR, that's pretty special."  And it happened, kind of, and I cheered, and I thought, "well, 12th isn't too bad, we got 35 more races to make it up."  Then I saw Schrader, and I knew it was bad, at that point, I was just praying the Dale would be okay, even if he never climbed into a race car again, I would have given anything if he could just retire and watch his son win championships for him, but it wasn't to be.

Let's not place blame today, let's just remember.  Rember a man who made racing so memorable, whether you loved him, worshipped him, or hated him.  Let's honor him, and try to move on, racing will never be the same, but I for one am glad that I was here to share in his victories and his defeats, and in the final act of unselfishness that brought it all to an abrupt end.

Thanks for making our lives a bit more exciting ,Dale, goodbye to my hero.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#17]
he will be missed
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Some of the above writers are sicker than I
am.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 4:26:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Not signed.  And I won't.  

I don't feel Childress' car # should be retired.  Why should it be?   Just because Dale died driving the car?   Well, then shouldn't we retire #7 for Alan Kulwicki?  #28 for Davey Allison, #27 for Tim Richmond, #21 for Neil Bonnett. etc.   Hmm, they don't have the stats that Dale had.  So, maybe if someone has good stats we should retire their car #'s.  Ok,  How about #43 for Richard Petty, #17 for Darrell Waltrip, Cale Yarborough's #, David Pearson's #, Bobby Allison's #. etc etc etc.

I feel the loss of Dale, but we shouldn't retire his car #.  Maybe we should do what Petty did for one year.  Retire his car # for only one year.  Then bring it back.  

My .223 cents.

*updated... Oops,  I forgot that Tim Richmond didn't die while driving the car.  But I hope you get my point.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2001 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm with seven (7).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top