BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2001 9:31:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweep, that's exactly how I was taught to do it, and did, on several occasions.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]
All you did was mess up an opportunity for some gooood headcheese.

mmm mmm mmm. [puke]

When my old man slaughtered hogs back in the day I don't think they shot it. They may have knocked it out to hang it upside down easier, but bullets were a luxury back in those days for his family.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I can attest to the "that's just not the way they do things back in the Philippines", ammo [i]is[/i] expensive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#7]
When I was in the Future Farmers of America in high school in West Texas, they didn't let us use AR-15s to kill hogs. That would've been a trip for us!

The tried and true method was to tie the hog upside down by its hind legs and run a rapier through its heart 'armpit to armpit'.

The rapiers were the same as they used in the local slaughter houses, which we also visited many, many times on FFA field trips!

Eric The(SomehowIFeelSoDirtyNowTalkingAboutIt)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
My family just slices the piggie from ear to ear,  hang the thing up, and let it bleed to death.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Your supposed to kill it before you start cooking it?

<...smacking head...>
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I work as a protein biochemist. One of the sources of my enzyme is from beef heart mitochondria. The hearts were collected from freshly slaughtered cattle. The slaughter house supplied kosher meat,and butchered in the kosher-approved method, which means hanging the cows up by their rear legs and slicing their throats. Not pretty but it works.

I was raised on a farm, and we butchered both cattle and pigs.We always shot them first, sliced their throats, then hung them up from the bucket of a tractor.

I've got a couple of related stories-NOT for the weak of stomach. The first concerns a neighbor who was going to butcher a large castrated boar. My neighbor walked the hog out of his barn, and shot him in the head with a .22. Unfortunately, the hog had a thick skull, and was now p1ssed off. My neighbor beat a fast retreat to his house and called my older brother. After he finished laughing at our neighbor, my brother grabbed his AR15 and drove up the road. The pig wouldn't allow anyone to approach him closely, so my brother took him out at about 20 feet with the AR. Dropped him in his tracks. Poor pig.

Another story involved my brother and a mean yearling bull. This bull had an attitude, and my dad intended to elect him to the whitehouse (freezer, for you guys slow on the uptake)when the weather turned cold. Fate deemed otherwise...the bull broke his chain and proceeded to chase everyone out of the barn on a warm September day. My brother went to the house and grabbed his .357 Python. Upon entering the barn, Mr. Bull lowered his head and charged-upon which my brother parked a slug in his brainpan. That bull ended up being taken to a butcher with a walk in freezer...Funny, our cows were very obedient after that for a few days.

Link Posted: 7/27/2001 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#13]
It wasn't your pig. You should have stayed out of it. There's nothing wrong with the man wanting to hold onto his old ways.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#14]
We did the same thing. But...uh...I used a .22LR right behind the ear. I think the AR might have some overpenetration problems as you suggested. heheh
Eventually we let the pros do the rest. They had this big truck with a HUGE steaming tub of water on it. They would hoist up the hog, hook him to a spinning thing, and it would dunk and spin-ending up with a cleaned, bald hog ready to go.
CS
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with the other guys.  He was pissed because you ruined the headcheese.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
MURDERERS!
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#17]
when i go to the Philippines to visit my paternal relatives, there are many tasty piggies that lose their lives.  yum.

anyway, since i was a young'n, i've watched my uncle slaughter pigs in Cebu upon my arrival.

short bladed knife to the neck, one swift cut gets the major artery and takes out the vocal cords.  failure to hit the vocal cords results in 10 minutes of the worst squealing that sounds like you have just sliced open a baby.

piggie bleeds (preferably into bowl to be cooked into 'dinuguan' (blood pudding)) quietly while you hold it down, then hang to drain rest of blood.  

after gutting, a quick bit of boiling water poured over it then shave the hair, skewer piggie from its butt up through its mouth with large sharpened pole, transport to pit o' hot coals and then rotisserate pig until yummy (takes most of an afternoon).

don't need a gun to slaughter captive animals that you can hold down.  a knife is cleaner, safer, makes less noise, and doesn't get you in trouble with the Father-in-Law!!!  ;-D

scott out
PS. the bullet will ruin the brains and the tongue along with making a not so pleasant presentation of a 'lechon.'  your method would be fine if you were butchering for BBQ or other meaty bits on the grill.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#18]
You get better meat if the animal's heart is still beating when you stick it. A 223 is a little much - I think the brain would be destroyed and the heart would stop immediately. Slaughterhouses actually use a metal "cage" that fits around the front of a cow's head that contains a pneumatically controlled iron rod that pops out so that the cow's motor control is destroyed but it's lower functions still operate. Spooky to see one hanging upside down and looking around while it's being skinned. A regular velocity 22 for a hog and a 223 for a large cow or bull is usually sufficient. Back in NC mountains (Garand shooters stomping grounds) we always shaved a hog for "fat back" and bacon. Here in Montana they SKIN them!
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm gonna hurl.

Shit now I'm getting a Russian soldier flashback.

Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#20]
About 3 years ago I shot a nice 6pt buck whith my bow next to a subdivision.  It was a good shot right though both lungs.  I waited about 20 minutes and walked over in the directin he went. I found him about 50 yrds away lying on the ground and he was still alive.  I figured I'd better finsh him off quick.  I had my Kel-tec 9mm in my pocket. It was loaded with +P Winchester Silver Tips.  I ended up shooting him 3 times before he quit moaning.  After I gutted and cleaned him I found all three bullets and none of them had expanded.  Now I load with ball.  All that stuff about balistic Jello is Crap.  
Thanks
John hadexpaned                                                                    
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Hogs and Goats, the Goats are the worse, they scream like it hurts pretty bad...Love that liver pudding.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hogs and Goats, the Goats are the worse, they scream like it hurts pretty bad...Love that liver pudding.
View Quote

That reminds me...the worst part was when you took one hog out of the pen, all of the other ones would scream like crazy, knowing what was up. That drove me nuts.
CS
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#23]
We cut their throats after some school adminstrator complained about us shooting on school property.
Not bad for a pig or lamb but a steer gets a little westeren.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mole Eye:

I'm gonna hurl.

Shit now I'm getting a Russian soldier flashback.

View Quote

LOL[:)].............Same here. Not growing up on a farm, I couldn't do it!! [:(]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#25]
 Fresh out of High School I went to work at Dinner bell foods here in Ohio.
 We used to kill on average about 2000 hogs a day.
 The worst part about the job was that every morning around 4:00AM as I drove through town I would always wind up behind a stock truck.
 I still remember all those little beady eyes staring out between the slats. It was like they knew what was up. When we would actually start to kill, I would wonder if I got too close to the pens if the hogs would recogknize me.
 Usually I would just eat my bologna sandwich and not sweat it too much. Do you guys think that it was wrong to eat Bologna sandwiches in front of the hogs?

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Head cheese? Sounds interesting. Other than shooting wild game (deer, rabbit and bear) and running over things (completely their fault!), I've only killed one rabbit and one sheep with my hands. The rabbit was my sister's. She was giving the meat to a "needy" family. I was young  & thought I'd smack it with a hammer. I  did.... three or four times until it quit jerking around - bad choice. (although years later I had the opportunity to see how effective a hammer was on the human head, as well as a 12ga. point blank, etc. [:X*] ).
We just slit the sheep's throat and held it down (survival training), used almost the whole animal (the instructor took the hide, no one said anything about headcheese back then).
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't eat pork, it's unclean.

Ditto with the Russian soldier thing. **shiver**
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#29]
My buddy and his family own a farm and a construction company. They have a big slaughter day every fall. They put chains on one of the hogs leg, raise it in the air with a bucket loader, wait for it to stop thrashing and then drive a slug into it's head, drain the blood by slicing the throat for blood sausage the drive over to the boil barrel to dunk it in. Pretty cool operation. They used a Ruger 22 semi auto which I thought was a little undersized but all the animals died with one well placed round.

BUSH SNIPER
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Aww, come on now. Just think of those hogs as eatin' recycled organic material. You do eat "orgnically" don't you Sweep?

LOL
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#32]
My great grand father used to work on a local farm. He used to punch them in the forehead AND KNOCK THEM OUT! I'm not shitting you. He was a MOUNTAIN of a man, a real bull. When he wasn't around they used to use a .22 to the head.
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#33]
 Always used a .22 short to the head. My Dad always said a .22 LR was to much round. The correct way was to pretend to make an x between the ears and eyes and hit the center of the x, adjusting the point of aim to the way the hog was holding it's head. Butchering day was always a big deal, and a lot of fun for the kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top