Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 2:21:12 AM EDT
Took my recently purchased Winchester 94 in .44 Rem Mag to the range and tried her out with open (iron) sites. Shot terrible! At 10 yards she was fatal but at 20 and 40 couldn't even get shot placement on a 9" pie plate. Me and my buddy both had the same results. Looks as if she's shooting high but the rear sight elevation is maxed out and she's still high (at least 6 inches). I was shooting down a gradual slope (about 1' drop per 15 yards).

Unfortunately I only had one kind of cartridge to shoot from her--a fully jacketed hollow point, so I couldn't determine if anything other than the cartridge. But still, at 20 yds I'd think just about anything from a .44 mag could be placed on paper and not have so much rise.

Anyone have suggestions as to what it could be? This is my first Model 94 and I bought her slightly used from supposedly the original owner who only shot about 30 rounds from her (hunting and target). I can't help to wonder if this is why she sold her--maybe those 30 rounds were at one deer cause she's such a crooked shot! ;-)
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
When you say you had the elevation on the rear sight maxed out, do you mean that you had it has high as it would go?  If so, you were moving it the wrong way.  To lower the point of impact you need to lower the rear sight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:47:18 AM EDT
[#2]
yep... what he said.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
tag for results.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
 I have a Marlin 44 and a Browning 44. Both of these guns will shoot well but you have to be very firm with them. You can't let them kick up like they naturally want to. Try shooting that gun but make a conscious effort to hold it firm into your shoulder and hold the forearm tight. Don't let it have free recoil. Hold it down. If you aren't using some kind of 240 gr bullet get some. Some guns are easy to shoot and forgiving of loose hold. My experience with the 44's is you have to handle them just right to get them to shoot well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top