Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 7:48:23 AM EDT
I'm watching a car program on PBS. GM hired a hot rod shop to modify a Saturn Ion 4-banger for a speed record. It beat the previous record held by a Honda Civic. Oh heck, it's rerun. It was done back in 2003! www.americancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2041021.005/saturn/1.html

Saturn's new ION Red Line quad coupe raced into the record book at the Bonneville Salt Flats on Oct. 17, 2003, establishing a new mark in the G/Blown Fuel Altered class at 212.684 mph. The record-setting Saturn, which is based on the new factory-built ION Red Line sport compact and powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter Ecotec four-cylinder engine, eclipsed the previous 183.086 mph record set in 2001 by a Honda Civic by nearly 30 mph.

GM Performance Division launched the Saturn land speed record project to demonstrate the ultimate performance capabilities of the ION Red Line package under extreme conditions. GM High Performance Vehicle Operations engineer Jim Minneker piloted the front-wheel-drive ION Red Line in Saturn's first official record run on the world-famous Salt Flats. ...

Now they are working on a Chevy Cobalt with 700+ HP.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I've read claims from Chevy that the Cobalt can get 600 hp with parts from the performance division.

Unfortunate that the car is not rear wheel drive.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
If it was a Saturn, was it driven by a fat chick? The reason that I ask, is that is seems to me that most of the drivers of Saturns are fat chicks. Well, that is the case in these parts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#4]

....... was it driven by a fat chick?......... seems to me that most of the drivers of Saturns are fat chicks.

TRUE!!!!

Fat chicks who are smoking..............and eating.............and talking on the phone!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've read claims from Chevy that the Cobalt can get 600 hp with parts from the performance division.

Unfortunate that the car is not rear wheel drive.  

Nothing a tube chassis can't fix...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i'll be impressed when they build a metro than can top 85 and last more than 60,000 miles. don't have many places i can run 200mph

hahaha... thats why my dad has 2.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i'll be impressed when they build a metro than can top 85 and last more than 60,000 miles. don't have many places i can run 200mph

AMEN BROTHER. They start to fall apart right after the warranty expires.  Meanwhile Honda's are still going strong at 200,000 miles.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#8]
before the ecotec even was out,  I was always convinced that I can make a saturn fast with a Quad4..  Never had the time or resources to try it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top