Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2005 7:17:54 PM EDT
I have had the shittiest luck with appliances in the last few years. My Maytag Atlantis lasted just short of 2 years before it crapped out.  My Whirlpool gas dryer is not working after about 1 1/2 years. My new Frigidaire refridgerator was damaged when it was delivered.  The replacement was less damaged and I got some money refunded on it. Crappy packaging. Coffee makers that go less than a year. Mixers and food processors that barely out live their warranties.

The $200 +- dryer looks like it only needs a $161 part to fix it.  I might luck out and get by with a $16 thermostat but I aint betting on it.

What are some good brands that can be trusted. Not Whirlpool, Maytag, or Frigidaire for sure.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the whole problem with the society now a days.  Back in the day, when stuff was made in the USA, it lasted.  Now companies are using foriegn parts and a lot of foreign labor.  It all comes down to the $$$.  They make more money putting cheaper parts in them, and they make more money having it assembled by people making less/hr.  All greed...  You think they care if your washer shit's out a year after you buy it.  Not at all.  They already have your money.  Unless the tool at Best Buy talked you into one of those "extended warranty" contracts.  And no I am not implying that everyone that works at best buy is a tool, so don't gey your panties in a bunch if you happen to work for best buy.  Just seems like most of the people I have dealt with there were...
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't Kenmore a pretty good?

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher in my house back in Michigan. I think it is one of the first. That thing still runs like a swiss watch. I don't remember what brand the washer and dryer in that house are, but they at least 20 years old and niether one ever gave me the least bit of trouble.

If you want, I can hook you up with all of these wonderful applicances, plus a rock solid refrigerator and a great gas stove. All you have to do is buy my house in Michigan and they're yours!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get quality but it will cost. I mean come on do recall we have an inflation problem, theres a reason a new car isnt $6k any more and home prices are rocketing up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Kitchenaid makes good stuff. I've got a huge fridge from them that is built like a tank. Not sure how old it is.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, all of my Whirlpool and Maytag appliances seem to be running fine with no repairs.

I guess quiet and reliable aren't what you are looking for?

ETA I guess that you could go Bosch or some other Euro manufacturer. If they break, be prepared for some downtime though. Trust the voice of experience on this one...
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont buy Maytag, the closed a big plant in a nearbuy town and sent jobs to mexico. Now that area is in bad economic shape. Lot of people out of work because those ceo assholes. DONT BUY MAYTAG.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Isn't Kenmore a pretty good?

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher in my house back in Michigan. I think it is one of the first. That thing still runs like a swiss watch. I don't remember what brand the washer and dryer in that house are, but they at least 20 years old and niether one ever gave me the least bit of trouble.

If you want, I can hook you up with all of these wonderful applicances, plus a rock solid refrigerator and a great gas stove. All you have to do is buy my house in Michigan and they're yours!

Kenmore is made by other companies and sold as the Kenmore brand. My Kenmore 40" range is made by Frigidaire. Some of thier stuff is made by Maytag, GE, Ect. My Kenmore range is about 1.5 years old, and I still love it. I hate to leave it with this house, but the kitchen was built around it, and it's kinda hard to find a cheap 40" range.

Kris
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:53:30 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a Sony Trinitron upstairs right now that's 24+ years old. I heard if you want one, get one now, 'cuz this may be the last year Sony makes 'em.  Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:05:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Pangea it may worth the expense to have an electrical evalutation.  Hire a reputable outfit to come take a look.  You may have a problem with your wiring.

If too many appliances are sharing the same circuit, you could be in an overload situation.

Another possibility, are you in a lighting prone area?  Sometimes it takes a few days/weeks/months for the effects of lightning to kill appliances.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#10]
 Ive bought pretty much bottom of the line kenmoore appliances except for my glasstop stove, my washer is 15yrs old, dryer is 8 yrs old, fridge is 8 yrs old and stove is 8 yrs old, ive never had any problem from any of them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:49:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have had the shittiest luck with appliances in the last few years. My Maytag Atlantis lasted just short of 2 years before it crapped out.  My Whirlpool gas dryer is not working after about 1 1/2 years. My new Frigidaire refridgerator was damaged when it was delivered.  The replacement was less damaged and I got some money refunded on it. Crappy packaging. Coffee makers that go less than a year. Mixers and food processors that barely out live their warranties.

The $200 +- dryer looks like it only needs a $161 part to fix it.  I might luck out and get by with a $16 thermostat but I aint betting on it.

What are some good brands that can be trusted. Not Whirlpool, Maytag, or Frigidaire for sure.

You get what you pay for. if you're paying only $200 for a dryer, it's going to act like a $200 dryer.

We have a 20 year old dryer, a 6 year old washer (that replaced a 15 year old washer), a 16 year old refrigerator, and we just replaced a 22 year old stove because it was old, there was nothing wrong with it other than looking very 80s and we're updating the kitchen.   All are GE.  

Consumer reports is your friend.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I think there is a measure of truth to the term "Planned Obsolesence". Manufacturers do take into consideration how many years their products will and should last so that you will HAVE to buy one again and again.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Consumer reports is your friend.

+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hmmm, all of my Whirlpool and Maytag appliances seem to be running fine with no repairs.

Apparently, Maytag's quality only recently started going bad. Whirlpool still builds a decent appliance, as long as you avoid the entry-level models.

ETA I guess that you could go Bosch or some other Euro manufacturer.

The few Bosch appliances I looked at were all American-made. No telling where replacement parts would come from, though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top