Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 6:45:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Got a compass?

Google earth could actually help you here, if the antennas didn't have to be just perfect.....
edit:

When I first clicked on the link, I was expecting a thread about sexual orientation.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
lasers
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
TRG will be along shortly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Got a compass?

Google earth could actually help you here, if the antennas didn't have to be just perfect...

Actually it can be done this way, a USGI compass and a land appreciation map it what's needed.  When I was in the Corps this is how we aligned the directional FM atennas.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's all the help I am gonna get out of here?

tell me more.

What part of the world are you in?

If you can describe the location of the two antennas well enough for me to find them on a map, I can probably help you out.

This is one of those times where high-speed internet would be helpful. You could have Google Earth running in 10 minutes, if you had a DSL connection.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll need a decent land nav compass.  Lenstatic or whatever.  I think you can get a cheapie for $10.

It would be nice to have a USGS map.  

Basically, you'll want them to point 180 degrees difference, so they will face directly into each other.

If one is pointing 0 (due north), then the other will point 180 (due south).

If you have something else to line them up with, then you point the first one and take a reading.  Lets say it turns out to be 90 degrees, then go point the other one at 270.    

If not, you'll need a good map or maybe googleearth.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#8]
If the first antenna has an azimuth(degree on the compass) of 180 degress or less, add 180 to that number and you have the azimuth that the second one should be pointing.

If the first azimuth is above 180 (181-360) degrees, subtract 180 to get the second azimuth.

Pretty much the same thing for inclination and declination as well.

Life is a circle.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I guess I don't get how the map helps?

This is LOS about a mile.  Wouldn't a GPS ne the way to go.

Maps help because if you're the typical person who can't read maps (so i assume, based on the fact that you posted this thread...) someone could look at aerial photography of your area and say 'ok, point your antenna directly over the SE corner of your neighbor's house, right at the big sign on the horizon that says 'eat at joe's', and have the other guy point his antenna directly at the chimney of the house just north of his'.

Or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
FWIW, right before dark I just eyeballed them and lined them up.  I got it working but I am wondering how I am going to fine tune them.  2.4 ghz antennas.

You didn't tell us you could SEE the other antenna!

Disregard everything else I said.....
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top