Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2001 3:46:00 PM EDT
I bought my first rifle nearly a month ago now, and finally yesterday I was able to go out and take it for a spin.

It was exhilarating.  I had 80 rounds, and went through it all.  My Thermolds performed great, but I had some problems with a used 20 rounder I picked up.  At any rate, it was a blast.

I saved the shell from my first round, but something odd happened to it when I fired it:
[img]http://www.capro.org/ar/P7240026s.jpg[/img]
can someone tell me why that crack would form when I fired it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you get the ammo? Was it new manufacture or was it reload? If reload it may have been a case that was loaded too many times, thus stressed.
What did the rest of the cases look like? If this is the only problem case i would think it was a bad case.
One last note, Be very careful with reloads, especially if not your own work.  Good luck.     fullclip
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I would agree - definately a brass problem.  Fullclip asked all the right questions.  Looks like the neck wasn't annealed, so I'm guessing that this wasn't top-of-the-line mil grade.  (nothing wrong with that - i just got done shooting a bunch of SA PMP myself)  If the other rounds looked ok, my guess is that it was just a flawed case that had a small crease in it.

Tate
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I had 3 boxes of Winchester, and 1 of "Sellier & Bellot"  The Sellier & Bellot was the one that cracked, 2 from that box also failed to fire.  Out of the 3 boxes of Winchester ammo I had 1 failure.

When I get around to buying some bulk ammo, who should I go with?  I hear IMI is good.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like reloads tome, or cheap Euro berdan primed crap. Stick to US spec M193 factory loads, and you'll be okay.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I knew you were going to say S&B.  It seems that they released a bad batch of brass recently, because there have been several reports of this.  Older lots work fine.

-Troy
View Quote

Troy,

do you know if this is true of the S&B 9mm and .45acp cartridges too?

THanks!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When I get around to buying some bulk ammo, who should I go with?  I hear IMI is good.
View Quote

Fired some of the South African surplus 223 in 300 round sealed battle packs and had no problems with it. Most people have given it good marks and it is affordable.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitley sub standard reload.The rifle isnt a parts gun is it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input.

Where would I expect to come across some South African Ammo?  What's the price usually like?

My rifle is a Colt Sporter Match HBAR, preban.  I only had one round split like that, so I really doubt it's my rifle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 Looks like the neck wasn't annealed,

my guess is that it was just a flawed case that had a small crease in it.Tate
View Quote

If the neck wasn't annealed, the neck would have split, but your guess about a flawed case is correct. I've seen Win cases do that on first firing
KenS
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#14]

[url]http://www.wideners.com/shopping/cart.asp?Action=Details&item=IMIM193[/url]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#16]
This can happen with any ammo manufacturer, freak quality control issue is what I'd sum it up to be.

I've had this happen once before while using PMC, was sorting through my once fired brass and there was a PMC casing that had a split in it EXACTLY like the one in the picture.

Then, more interestingly I've got a fresh loaded round here on my desk that is factory loaded UMC 55grn 223Rem.   It's got a split right down the side of the case and it hasn't even been fired, looked like as it was being formed the case was ripped some how and when it got cycled through the forming die the split was closed up and it managed to pass inspection.

Needless to say I'm VERY glad I caught this factory split casing, I'm still debating on whether or not I want to send it into Remington/UMC to see if they will give me a free box.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
 Be sure to clean your chamber good after an event such as that.
 Might not hurt to take a bore light and give her a visual too. You may avert an even greater problem.

Chuck
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2001 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Uhh, No.

The plastic container you get with the 2700 rounds is NOT air or water tight.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2001 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#20]
The plastic container doesn't need to be air or water tight, since the ammo is sealed in battle packs.

Great ammo for a great price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top