Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/6/2005 7:03:21 PM EDT
The big arguement is that legalization of industrial hemp is just a disguise for legalizing marijuana.  It can make clothing, food, plastics, and building material, along with tens of thousands of other products.  It doesn't require pesticides.  It contains ten times more biomass than a plan of similar size.  What's the hold up?  It's not even the same species.  Hemp contains less than 1% THC.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't they use hemp rope in the military, for fast-roping and such?  See not everyone hates hemp
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Wasn't the DoI written on hemp?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Go hug a tree elsewhere hippie
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I just hate hippies.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally just hate "hemp necklaces".  Every hippie on campus up here in West Virginia has one.  I might just be biased though in my hatred for the liberals up here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If it'll get rid of this damned cotton and it's defoliant, I'm all for it!  Man that boll opener is killing everyones respiratory system around here. Hemp would be less harmful to people and more hardy than cotton.

It gets my vote.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Ignorance, propaganda and big money lobbyists.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I can tell you smoke a lot of it, jquillen

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't care about legalizing industrial hemp, however think people who use the benefits of IH to springboard into how marijuana should be legalized are idiots.

I also think the ones who miscategorize industrial hemp as marijuana are stupid, they're usually the ones who say something like "the constitution was written on marijuana-paper, so they must have wanted it to be legal!!"

Some people will use any tangent to validate their illegal activities.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just hate hippies.

Exactly... hemp, hippies, Volkswagens, tie-dye... they all make me think of when I lived in Seattle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#12]
There is nothing wrong with hippies. If it were not for them, who would grow all the good pot??
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The Southpark "Hippie Episode" was on tonight.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Exactly... hemp, hippies, Volkswagens, tie-dye... they all make me think of when I lived in Seattle.

+1, including the living in Seattle part.  All the hemp you could ever want in Freakmont.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Adidas makes some realy cool looking 3 stripe shoes that are made from hemp.
I dont mind that they are made from hemp, but I will not buy them because they have a huge tag on them that says HEMP.  Mainly because hemp is mostly endorsed by the stoner croud,  nomatter how sustainable the material is, I'm not supporting those dirtbags.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#16]
One reason is the spokespeople for hemp.

Take this brain trust for example.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1 Today the week's thematic waft of pot smoke went public with the Smoke-Out on Teletubby Hill, the grassroots celebration scheduled today at Capitol Hill's glorious new Cal Anderson Park. Designed to salute the park's resemblance to the land of the Teletubbies via the eternal deliciousness of pot, the event was scheduled to climax at 4:20 p.m. with a mass marijuana smoke-out. Unfortunately, the fledgling buzz of the drizzle-soaked crowd was officially harshed by the Seattle Police Department, which dispatched a dozen or so bike cops to politely but firmly maintain order. When invaluable pot activist Dominic Holden urged police to respect the voter-approved I-75, which makes personal pot smoking the police department's lowest legal priority, the spokesperson cop replied with what seemed like an inspired bit of doublespeak: Yes, smoking pot is a low-priority crime, but not when it's happening in a high-priority park, and the police presence had less to do with punishing potheads and more to do with setting clear boundaries about what will and will not be tolerated in this fledgling city park. (And, eureka, pre-publicized marijuana smoke-ins aren't among the desired activities.) And so potheads were punished—specifically Holden, who was nabbed after he concluded his levelheaded plea for police to focus on real drug crimes by flaring up some green. Holden was sanctioned with a seven-day park exclusion notice, while the rest of the crowd escaped with an implicit warning: If you want to smoke pot in the park, be discreet and don't put up fliers about it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I just hate hippies.

I'm not pregidous, I hate Hippies just as much as every other fucking dope smokin piece of shit waste of oxygen!  
Kill 'em all let god sort them out!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't care about legalizing industrial hemp, however think people who use the benefits of IH to springboard into how marijuana should be legalized are idiots.

I also think the ones who miscategorize industrial hemp as marijuana are stupid, they're usually the ones who say something like "the constitution was written on marijuana-paper, so they must have wanted it to be legal!!"

Actually, in our colonial days, farmers were required to grow hemp by law. It was the major crop at Mount Vernon and a secondary crop at Monticello.

So, yeah, I think they would be pretty surprised and shocked to learn that it is now illegal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, in our colonial days, farmers were required to grow hemp by law. It was the major crop at Mount Vernon and a secondary crop at Monticello.

So, yeah, I think they would be pretty surprised and shocked to learn that it is now illegal.

Times Have changed.   If you were to tell agun enthusist in 1920 that full automatic firearms were illegal, they would surprised and shocked too!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Kill 'em all let god sort them out!

the correct quote is "Spray the rounds and let god sort em out"

but i like your quote too hehe and hell yeah i saw the hippie episode

Slayer Reign of Blood hehe
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Wasn't talking about legalizing hemp, I know it was a staple crop in the past.

I mentioned the butchered, overused pothead logic of "hemp = marijuana, when it helps my cause" when stating "the constitution was written on marijuana-paper, so they must have wanted it to be legal!!"

I should have been a little more specific, since I've heard this several times. I should have said "the constitution was written on marijuana-paper, so they must have wanted marijuana to be legal!!" as it would have more accurately reflected the warped thought-process of some of the stoners trying to justify themselves.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Times Have changed.   If you were to tell agun enthusist in 1920 that full automatic firearms were illegal, they would surprised and shocked too!

You have got to be fucking kidding me.  Way to use the worst argument ever.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Hemp is a great fiber for making all sorts of things.  It is one of the strongest natural fibers around.  I have a jacket and vest made of the stuff.  

I believe they either have or are in the process of producing weed without the THC for use in clothing and other textiles.

I don't smoke the stuff though.  Gets me paranoid, and I'm paranoid enough.  (not to mention that my pants couldn't handle a case of the munchies!)

It's the THC that is usually in question, not the fiber.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want to look up the history, you will find that gun laws like the National Firearms Act, the AWB, etc., follow intense periods of drug prohibition. The NFA was triggered by the use of machine guns by Capone, etc. during alcohol prohibition.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't talking about legalizing hemp, I know it was a staple crop in the past.

I mentioned the butchered, overused pothead logic of "hemp = marijuana, when it helps my cause" when stating "the constitution was written on marijuana-paper, so they must have wanted it to be legal!!"

I should have been a little more specific, since I've heard this several times. I should have said "the constitution was written on marijuana-paper, so they must have wanted marijuana to be legal!!" as it would have more accurately reflected the warped thought-process of some of the stoners trying to justify themselves.

I think the founding fathers would be surprised that any form of cannabis is now illegal.

People make stupid arguments for all sorts of things. The best argument is a simple one: Prohibition does more harm than good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Hemp gas!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hemp is a great fiber for making all sorts of things.  It is one of the strongest natural fibers around.  I have a jacket and vest made of the stuff.  

I believe they either have or are in the process of producing weed without the THC for use in clothing and other textiles.

I don't smoke the stuff though.  Gets me paranoid, and I'm paranoid enough.  (not to mention that my pants couldn't handle a case of the munchies!)

It's the THC that is usually in question, not the fiber.

Weed without the THC is hemp. There are, and always have been, numerous varieties of the plant with varying degrees of THC. Hemp usually has less than one percent THC. Marijuana may range from one to 29 percent THC.

The DEA wanted to ban any product with even the most minutely detectable quantity of THC.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#28]
DUH IM 35 AND  STONED WATZ MY NAME, MOM CAN I BORROW THE CAR?\
REALLITY ESTIMATE 40-60 MILLION IN THE USA SMOKE MARAJUANA OR HOWEVER YOU SPELL THAT CRAP.. I AINT BILL CLINTON BUT I SMOKED IT AS A TEEN AND YEP GREW UP AND I AINT NO FUCKING HIPPIE, PERSONALLY I THINK IT MAKES YOU FAT, LAZY, UNPRODUCTIVE AND YOU CANT REMEMBER SHIT, WAIT THATS CONGRESS!! I KNEW IT THERE DOPE SMOKERS, THERES WHERE ALL YOUR FRIGGIN HEMPS GOING BILL AND HILLARY ARE HAVING CLAM BAKE ORGIE PARTIESh.gifh.gif
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Industrial hemp should be legal, because it's a hardy multipurpose crop.

Marijuana should be legal, because for all their hemming and hawing, the prohibitionists can't come up with a better argument than "Hippies smoke pot, and I hate hippies."
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
DUH IM 35 AND  STONED WATZ MY NAME, MOM CAN I BORROW THE CAR?\
REALLITY ESTIMATE 40-60 MILLION IN THE USA SMOKE MARAJUANA OR HOWEVER YOU SPELL THAT CRAP.. I AINT BILL CLINTON BUT I SMOKED IT AS A TEEN AND YEP GREW UP AND I AINT NO FUCKING HIPPIE, PERSONALLY I THINK IT MAKES YOU FAT, LAZY, UNPRODUCTIVE AND YOU CANT REMEMBER SHIT, WAIT THATS CONGRESS!! I KNEW IT THERE DOPE SMOKERS, THERES WHERE ALL YOUR FRIGGIN HEMPS GOING BILL AND HILLARY ARE HAVING CLAM BAKE ORGIE PARTIES

Course, I never did say that drug use over extended periods won't cause brain damage.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:57:59 AM EDT
[#32]
An arguement about hippies is about as strong as an arguement about guns, but that's neither here nor there.  It sounds like many of you want hemp to remain illegal just because hippies smoke marijuana.  What's going on here?  And like people have said before, prohibition on anything, anything at all, creates a dangerous black market and drives up the prices for legal alternatives(see guns).
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:59:31 AM EDT
[#33]
The Paper the Constitution is written on is HEMP!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:13:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I hate the patchouli smelling grubwads that seem to be the only ones interested in promoting it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I hate the patchouli smelling grubwads that seem to be the only ones interested in promoting it.

Actually I am not a patchouli smelling grubwad and if hemp were to be used for fiber it would put me out of a job (Forester)
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#36]
I really don't give a shit about the plant itself.

I just have a deep, burning hatred for the stinky, unwashed, barefoot, unemployed, scraggly idiots who troll AR15.com asking about hemp.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I just have a deep, burning hatred for the stinky, unwashed, barefoot, unemployed, scraggly idiots who troll AR15.com asking about hemp.

Kind of like people who have a burning hatred for guns without knowing any facts about them?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I am not a patchouli smelling grubwad and if hemp were to be used for fiber it would put me out of a job (Forester)

Sshhhh... you'll bring unkempt1 and wolfman97 in here with wild conspiracy talk about decoricator patents and the wood paper mill monopoly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sshhhh... you'll bring unkempt1 and wolfman97 in here with wild conspiracy talk about decoricator patents and the wood paper mill monopoly.

I actually went shooting with unkempt1 2 weeks ago.  He is a pretty good guy.  He doesn't even look like a hippy at all-even drives a gas guzzling pickup.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I actually went shooting with unkempt1 2 weeks ago.  He is a pretty good guy.  He doesn't even look like a hippy at all-even drives a gas guzzling pickup.

Some of my best friends are tokers that don't smell like patchouli or wear Birkenstocks.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of like people who have a burning hatred for guns without knowing any facts about them?

Nowhere near the same thing.  Nice try .
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I just hate hippies.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Industrial hemp should be legal, because it's a hardy multipurpose crop.

Marijuana should be legal, because for all their hemming and hawing, the prohibitionists can't come up with a better argument than "Hippies smoke pot, and I hate hippies."

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Yeah, especially since they're all dead now.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Too itchy.  I prefer cotton.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Hemp kicked my dog.

Seriously, they stopped growing it in Wisconsin just back in 1957.  

Right now, of the top cash crops grown in the state, it's rated right behind cranberries (and there are a shit load of cranberries coming out of Wisconsin) - which is kind of weird because it's supposed to be illegal and I think there's still a war on it or something going on.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't hate hemp, I hate what it does to people. I saw how it ruined several of my friends lives
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#49]
You know what disgusts me the most about the doper hippie crowd? (Yes, you can be a hippie without dope)

The dishonesty in their position.  No one gives a rat's ass about hemp sandals or hemp massage oil,  you want it produced commercially because it'll give you an opening for getting marijuana at your local Quickie Stop.

I have yet to come across one of this "Hemp will save the world" crowd that for one moment would just admit:

"I like to smoke dope and I want to see it legal"

Forthright honesty like that I could respect.  Not this "but it makes SO much better underwear" line of horsecrap.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
The Paper the Constitution is written on is HEMP!

Where do people come up with this crap?

The Declaration and the Constitution were written on PARCHMENT, which is actually a very thin leather.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top