Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 4:17:02 PM EDT
I've decided to eat a can of spam I found in the cabinet... I haven't been shopping in a while so I have to be creative. Any suggestions on how to make my can of Spam as enjoyable as possible?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
slice it, fry it, top with cheese of your choosing. spam sandwiches.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Spam (fried)

bread

mustard

I have no imagination but it's the only way to eat it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Spam (fried)

bread

mustard

I have no imagination but it's the only way to eat it.

+1 and I add onions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
cut into cubes
alternate with pineapple chunks on bamboo skewer
brush with BBQ sauce and grill.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
cut into cubes
alternate with pineapple chunks on bamboo skewer
brush with BBQ sauce and grill.

LOL!

For some reason the saying about not being able to polish a turd keeps going through my head...

I mean I like Spam and all, but...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Musubi (sp?) is pretty awesome.

Slice of spam, wrapped in sticky rice and seaweed - kind of like a giant roll.  Great for a lunch on the go.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Pan fry, white bread cheese and mustard.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
well my chef buddy eats his blackened, or as I say burned. The smoke was coming off so bad after he was thru frying/burning it I had to put the pan outside, I just fry it a little.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
My mom took spam, cheese, pickles, ketchup and ground it all together, put it on a hamburger bun, and then broiled it in the oven until the browned.  It was actually really good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's something from my area, where some might argue it's the state food. Some folks around here won't go a day without it. Don't ask me why. As for the recipe, I've never tried it myself, but I suppose you could substitute a can of mushroom soup for the sauce.

Mushroom Sauce
From the Kitchen of: Nathan Aweau, Musician

3 mushrooms
2 Tbs. butter or margarine
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 Tbs. flour
1 c. chicken or beef broth
3/4 c. crème
2 cloves garlic

Cut mushrooms into small pieces. In a pan, melt the butter or margarine and add the mushrooms. Add the salt & pepper and stir. Let it simmer for about a minute then sprinkle the flour in and stir. Pour in the chicken or beef broth and crème. Add the garlic, stir and let it simmer. After about two minutes, put 1/3 of the sauce into another pan. 1/3 of the sauce will be used in the Tuna Casserole "Ala Nathan" recipe and the remaining 2/3 will be used in the Spam Spectacular recipe (below).

1 small potato
1 1/2 Tbs. butter
1 can spam
Peel and slice potato into slices no more than 1/4" thick. Line the bottom of an oven safe bowl with the potatoes. Add the butter on top. Slice spam as desired and add in the bowl. Add the remaining 2/3 of the mushroom sauce, stir a little and place into a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Take out and stir, return to oven for about 25 minutes more or until brown. Take out of the oven and serve.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Cut it up into cubes and put it in your macaroni and cheese.   That's what I'm having for dinner.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Cut it up into cubes and put it in your macaroni and cheese.   That's what I'm having for dinner.

LOL!

Then top it with Miracle Whip!!!

Ahhh, bachelor living!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#15]
you know...if I had seaweed and pineapple and mac and cheese and pickles, some BBQ and ketchup... I wouldn't be eating spam... sounds like sliced, fried and topped with processed swiss cheese is the winner. Off to dinner!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Found this....

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/recipe.asp
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#17]
POST PICS!!!

I mean, why not?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Spam as enjoyable as possible?

Never ate that crap. But i did eat leftover porkchops from last sunday. 5 hours ago.

Scraped off the fat/bacterial soup. Popped it in the microwave along with some some 3min noodles. Cooked up some ham-cheese pasta sauce. . Added LOTS of cayenne pepper. Tasted good
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#19]
diced spam scrambled w/ eggs

Heathier if you:

a.  use only 1-2 yolks, and the whites of several other eggs (make a 7 egg batch w/o insane cholesterol)
b.  Use Spam (tm) Lite

Extra points for A-1 sauce
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I cant believe no one mentioned Spam and eggs!  cube it...fry it...throw in some eggs..scramble it up...serve and enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Grind up spam and cheddar cheese
Add a little pickle relish

Mix thoroughly

Smear a nice layer of the "mix" onto open faced hamburge buns (I prefer the Potatoe buns for this receipe)

Place on cookie sheet open faced

Put in oven until buns are crispy and cheese melts.

SPAMWICHES

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I mean this seriously  

Ask in the Hawaiian Hometown form.  They are spam experts
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#23]
1.) Open can

2.) Dump in trash

3.) Cook something else

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#24]
By request....

The offending substance:

Swiss cheese and black olives added... too much miracle whip

It wasn't very tasty... I think I'll fix a toaster strudel. Man, I need a wife or a cook or something.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
By request....

The offending substance:

img358.imageshack.us/img358/6258/0018ir.jpg

img358.imageshack.us/img358/2581/0021qk.jpg

It wasn't very tasty... I think I'll fix a toaster strudel. Man, I need a wife or a cook or something.

img358.imageshack.us/img358/9278/0037aa.jpg

And to top it all off, finger dents.  SPAM deserves nothing less than that personal  touch.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I hate SPAM.  just what does SPAM stand for anyway?  I guarantee I'm going to be eating the shit saturday morning at drill for breakfast chow, along with 2 month shelf life government issue bread...

SICK!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to just lightly fry a slice and eat it straight.  Bread will only dilute the Spammy goodness.

No discussion of Spam can go without a Spam-ku:

New Orlean Needs Food
FEMA Sends Massive Spam Aides
New Orlean Needs Food
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Spam with fried new potatoes and onions and bell peppers..............Hmm.............excellent!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
By request....

The offending substance:

img358.imageshack.us/img358/6258/0018ir.jpg

img358.imageshack.us/img358/2581/0021qk.jpg

It wasn't very tasty... hink
img358.imageshack.us/img358/9278/0037aa.jpg

Great picture on the front page of the paper.  Nice to see that your local news believes in showing the regular folks out there what criminals look like.

http://www.reviewatlas.com/content/articles/2005/10/06/news/local/news1.jpg
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#30]
All I can say is....

Sorry, but that picture looked absolutely disgusting.  Years ago I would have probably eaten something like that but I've cleaned up my act and feel much better for it.  SPAM is disgusting, loaded with salt, fat, and unmentionables.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Pan fried is OK, but I prefer mine grilled.. almost to the point of burnt.

(crispy on the outside, IOW)

Fried gets too greasy. If I pan fry, I've gotta let it sit on a paper towel for a minute or three...

Put it on bread, a slice of cheese... yum!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I hate SPAM.  just what does SPAM stand for anyway?  I guarantee I'm going to be eating the shit saturday morning at drill for breakfast chow, along with 2 month shelf life government issue bread...

SICK!

ShoulderPork and hAM.  Saw it on the food channel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I always thought 'SPAM' was short for 'spiced ham.'

Here's another good 'perp walk' shot. He's mad because he's about to start a 30 month sentence for being stupid.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Spam fried with onions,  on dry white toast.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:44:41 AM EDT
[#35]
really good in cheddar and potato soup.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#36]
You screwed up with the black olives, me thinks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:00:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Fried, just short of burnt.
Soak up the grease in paper towells for a few..
With eggs.. by itself.. doesn't matter.

Spam is 100% pork shoulder meat. IIRC from a History channel show I caught last year.

Some of my  fondest memories from childhood involve sneaking out in the middle of the night with a can of spam and an old skillet and heading back to the pond for a late night feast.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:15:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Scene:  A cafe.  One table is occupied by a group of Vikings wearing horned helmets.  Whenever the word "spam" is repeated, they begin singing and/or chanting.  A man and his wife enter.  The man is played by Eric Idle, the wife is played by Graham Chapman (in drag), and the waitress is played by Terry Jones, also in drag.
Man: You sit here, dear.
Wife: All right.
Man: Morning!
Waitress: Morning!
Man: Well, what've you got?
Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;
Vikings: Spam spam spam spam...
Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...
Vikings: Spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!
Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.
Wife: Have you got anything without spam?
Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.
Wife: I don't want ANY spam!
Man: Why can't she have egg bacon spam and sausage?
Wife: THAT'S got spam in it!
Man: Hasn't got as much spam in it as spam egg sausage and spam, has it?
Vikings: Spam spam spam spam... (Crescendo through next few lines...)
Wife: Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then?
Waitress: Urgghh!
Wife: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like spam!
Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Waitress: Shut up!
Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.
Wife: I don't like spam!
Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!
Vikings: Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.
Man: Well could I have her spam instead of the baked beans then?
Waitress: You mean spam spam spam spam spam spam... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)
Vikings: Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!

spamspam
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:44:13 AM EDT
[#39]
WTF?

the best tis scalloped potatoes and SPAM!!!  use in place of ham.

get the lite stuff - helps avoid that nasty gel goo included in the can.

everyhing but the oink goes into that stuff.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't pan fry it. Deep Fry it. It is so darned tasty that way. Slice into 1/4" thick slices and deep fry it. yum.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#42]
SPAM rules!

I do get the low sodium variety, not because I'm some kind of diet pussy, regular is just too salty for me!  

I like to fry it and eat it with eggs, or fry it and put it on white bread or saltines with Plochman's yellow mustard.  That's some fine eatin right thare.

well, I can't find an image of Home Pride white bread, but that's what I put it on!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#43]
My kitchen is never without one. If i get fed up with the usual fare, or am too lazy to cook something up, I just fry some Spam. Mmmmmmmm.  Extreme comfort food.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top