Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 3:21:18 PM EDT
This load o' Crap is what I got back from my seneator after writing about the violation of the 2nd amendment in New Orleans with the Gun confications
Dear Mr. *****:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about Hurricane Katrina and the devastation and flooding left in its wake. I appreciate hearing from you.

Hurricane Katrina was one of the worst natural disasters in our nation’s history and left in its wake a horrific trail of destruction. Along with the entire country, I mourn for the many lives that were lost and pray for the millions who will be dealing with the affects of this tragedy for years to come. Hundreds have lost their lives, hundreds of thousands have lost everything they owned, and about one million people were displaced.

Our grief was compounded by the bungled government response to this predicted natural disaster. For three or four critical days, FEMA failed to provide food and water to about 20,000 people stranded in the New Orleans convention center. Thousands more were left stranded for days in their flooded homes without any idea of when help would arrive, and, more disturbingly, supplies that were sent to the Gulf region somehow never got to the victims or were late in coming.

Sadly, many families were separated during the evacuation efforts and approximately 4,500 children were reported missing. About 1,500 of those cases have been resolved, and there are ongoing efforts to reunite families with their loved ones.

As the residents of the Gulf Coast have suffered an overwhelming loss, millions of their fellow citizens have responded by opening their hearts and homes to help their fellow Americans. Evacuees have found temporary or semi-permanent housing in almost every state in the nation, and the amount of food, supplies and money donated has been overwhelming. The international response has also been extremely generous.

The people of the Gulf Coast are resilient and signs of rebuilding are already evident in the region. Over the next several months, the federal government, along with state and local governments, will be working to provide jobs, housing and health care for the hundreds of thousands of people displaced by this disaster, conducting environmental cleanup, removing debris, as well as repairing roads and bridges.

Although the President has stated that we should not engage in the “blame game,” it is critical that we investigate the federal government’s response to Katrina. By holding people and institutions accountable for their actions or inaction, we can improve future performance and prevent such mistakes from happening again.

As a member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, I am reviewing the response to Hurricane Katrina, and we have begun to hold hearings to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the response and recovery efforts. By identifying the failures, we can strengthen our preparedness for any future emergencies our country may face.

While this Senate Committee is committed to a thorough and fair investigation, I believe the creation of an independent, bipartisan commission, similar to that which was established after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, is the best way to look into what went right and what went wrong. Unfortunately, on September 12, 2005, the Senate rejected an amendment to create such an independent commission on a party line vote. For the sake of our nation’s security, we need to hold people and institutions accountable for their actions or inaction, and we need to find ways to correct the problems.

I will continue to insist on accountability with respect to the federal government’s initial response to Hurricane Katrina, as well as with the ongoing recovery efforts. The American people must be assured that the billons of dollars being spent on recovery activities are spent in a cost-effective manner for the purpose of rebuilding communities and restoring hope to the people of the Gulf Coast. Contracts need to be awarded in a competitive manner, and government officials and contractors must be held accountable for their performance. We can accept no less.

Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,
Carl Levin
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I appreciate your post.

New Orleans is a city important to us all.

don't worry, we will rebuild it.

thank you for posting.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
A f-ing form letter?  You were ripped off!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
You should feel privileged you got that much back from the asshole. He won't even send me those anymore. Seems he doesn't like some of the things I have called him in the past.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Same type of bullshit I got back from Senator Gordon Smith.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]

What did you expect from "Carl Lenin"?

Actually, I'm surprised he didn't add in there that he wants to get the assualt weapons ban reinstated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've only gotten 2 letters worth crap back from my representatives.  

1. Kay bailey hutchison - its got the stuff on the bottom from where someone typed this up for her.  signed in sharpy.  I was impressed, until I read the contents.  She's not quite the conservative I want.

2. Randy Neugebauer - Same as above, except stamped signature.  Although I was impressed with the contents.  He said he supports my ideas.  He'll be getting my vote next time.

All the other letters I've gotten are just 100% pre-written BS.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
egghead (the Honorable Senator that is)
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I got essentially the same crappy form letter from Senator Lamar Alexander.

It made no mention whatsoever about firearms confiscation.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Same type of bullshit I got back from Senator Gordon Smith.

You and me both man.  At least he supported Lawful Commerce in Arms (and sent me a form letter about it).
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I got essentially the same crappy form letter from Senator Lamar Alexander.

It made no mention whatsoever about firearms confiscation.

Shit. Follow it up, make a damn APPOINTMENT, do NOT take "That's nice - bye." as a response! Don't be pushovers. Only the PERSISTANT ASSHOLES (like moi) are ever heard!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top