Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 5:19:51 PM EDT
In 5 weeks or so I ship to Lackland.  Looking forward to it.

Have been using spyderco folders lately, to great effect.  Work (construction) has lead me to beat the hell out of them, without any failures.

I have some money in my pocket, and sort of want to splurge.

Something says to get a benchmade, something like a 735 Ares, 705/710, etc.

The other side of my brain says to hold off, because after basic and A school I'll be able to get an automatic.

(Last detail - I'm a lefty.  Any knife recommendations kindly keep that in mind)

1.  Thoughts?

2.  Are rank and file, not primarily combat troops restricted from carry/possession of auto knives?  Pocket knives?  I've gotten conflicting answers about the last bit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever you get, don't take it to Lackland.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
hahah my grandafather had two 5 gallon buckets full of pocket knives taken from recruits when he was in the airforce.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait 'till you get a duty station to buy anything military related.

When you do, ask the guys who are there and in the know as to what to get.

In '91 I picked up a couple of Gerbers and a leatherman when I got to Korea on the advise of some salty dogs.

They were right.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know about the Air Force but here in the Army you can hardly get by without one. Specifically a multi tool such as a Gerber or Leatherman. Never go to the field without one. Seriously. Ever try to open a hot MRE without it? You end up scraping it off the front of your uniform when it suddenly rips in three pieces all at once, if you can even get the thing open at all.  Cold ones open just fine but warm that stuff up and forget about it. Back to the question, I wouldn't take it to your initial training, after you graduate Basic and AIT (or whatever the AF calls it) and get to your first duty station you should be good to go though. They probably won't confiscate it never to be seen again but they might. How are you getting there though? If flying you shouldn't have any checked baggage,  just a small carry on with shaving kit and change of clothes. You won't need anything else. The Army mails all your civy stuff home after you get issued uniforms.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay.  I know not to fly with a knife, I know not to try to bring a knife to basic (technically, not even to MEPS).

Those of you who are on active duty, or have been recently - is it possible to buy automatic knives in the PX, would I be lucky to find a knife in a PX, or does it just vary wildly from place to place?

Edit - I'd intended this thread as an excuse to buy a nicer knife for me to use in the month before I leave.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Those of you who are on active duty, or have been recently - is it possible to buy automatic knives in the PX, would I be lucky to find a knife in a PX, or does it just vary wildly from place to place?

I was active duty from 1995-1998.

It was not possible to buy an automatic knife in the PX.

The PX did sell non-auto knives.

Regulations regarding automatic knives vary from command to command.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Okay.  I know not to fly with a knife, I know not to try to bring a knife to basic (technically, not even to MEPS).

Edit - I'd intended this thread as an excuse to buy a nicer knife for me to use in the month before I leave.

You're in the Air Force now, Turd. We have installations called BASES. This ain't no army POST.

We also have exchanges. Since they aren't on an ARMY POST, we don't call them POST EXCHANGES. We call them BASE EXCHANGES, or BX.

I haven't seen auto's at any AAFES stores. Not int he states at least. Iraq is another story altogether.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy one at clothing sales, DO NOT BRING ONE TO BASIC! I am am a recruiter for the AF, I know. You can get a Benchmade knife and a Surefire flashlight at clothing sales, usually depends on the base. You won't need a knife in basic, just a fork, pen, and a Lackland laser. This is the AF your joining, we'll open your MRE for you............LOL
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Whatever you get, don't take it to Lackland.

+1
Just chill out and focus on basic.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
man basic was gay...

have fun!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am am a recruiter for the AF, I know

Great!
Do you know if Basic is now 8 weeks?  My SSgt said it was....then thought about it...then tried to call the other two recruiters in neighboring cities....then told me to treat it as an official rumor.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
as soon as you get to lackland, within a day or so they dump your shit and go through it.   leave your weapons home.  FYI they issued me a benchmade 9050 at my duty station.  (hurlburt field, the base with those "neat" planes that you guys loves so much)
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a CRKT M16 or M21. They open as fast as an automatic and are great knives. They might not be on par with say a Benchmade or Strider, but they will only set you back $50 for the 4” blade big dog version.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get a CRKT M16 or M21. They open as fast as an automatic and are great knives. They might not be on par with say a Benchmade or Strider, but they will only set you back $50 for the 4” blade big dog version.

Except that I've been underwhelmed with previous CRKT knives (poor blade steel; piss poor locking designs; liner locks that unlock when a leftie grasps the handle) and the clips aren't reversible.

Besides, at some point I'm going to break down and buy an auto or two.  Possibly microtech.  Time will tell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top