Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 1:43:16 PM EDT
Well, I have had a belt squeak on startup in my truck for awhile now. If I start the engine real cold (not been driven for a day or two) there is no squeak on startup. Once the engine has been running however it returns.

I have tried the old WD40 trick, squeak goes away for a day and comes back. I have tried the old soap trick (Zest because that is all I had) nothing happens.

I have no idea what is causing this. There is nothing binding or with dead bearings that I can find. I am at a total loss.

If it helps the Engine is the 4.2 V-6 with the serpentine belt (not sure if they even use a V- Belt in ANY of their engines anymore.

Thanks for any and all help you can  offer
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had the same problem with every full size Ford truck I have owned.  No idea on how to fix it
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Try changing the belt.  That will usually do it.  While changing the belt, check and make sure that the tensioner is firmly bolted.  If that doesn't work, let me know.  It might not be the belt, but an accessory.  Does it constantly sqeak after it warms up? If not, when?  Turns?

Brian
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
It's either a stretched belt or a weak tensioner .

If you look closely at the belt tensioner it has
markings on it . If the indicator falls within
the limit marks and still makes noise . Then
the spring is weak and the unit needs replacement .

Of course if the indicator is at the end of the marks
or outside of them , then it needs a belt .
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Knock the muffler off it and run a straight pipe. You wont hear those stupid squeaks no more.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Knock the muffler off it and run a straight pipe. You wont hear those stupid squeaks no more.

+
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Check the tension idler wheel for bearing wear/noise.

But, yes the straight pipe technique will do the trick. You'll be bad ass for a day or two.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty common to hear belt squeak on Ford trucks.
Cruise over to Autozone and get the Goodyear Gatorback belt.
If it still squeaks after changing it out, check the tensioner and pulley bearings.

Fritz

2000 F150
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Check your tensioner, pulleys, and get a Gatorback belt
Visit my website.....  www.v6f150.com  We have a ton of members and resources.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
TP, you might need a new belt.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, it only chirps just when I start it, not on turns after it has started, it is literally a chirp, not a running squeel.  The tnsioner is firmer than the one I changed on a GMC work truck, but I iwll check th emarkings anyways.

thanks all, I will let you know on friday (road trip for post surgery exam tomorrow, 200 miles )
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok, it only chirps just when I start it, not on turns after it has started, it is literally a chirp, not a running squeel.  The tnsioner is firmer than the one I changed on a GMC work truck, but I iwll check th emarkings anyways.

thanks all, I will let you know on friday (road trip for post surgery exam tomorrow, 200 miles )

Post surgery?
What happened?
Hope you're okay TP.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#12]
2002 Chevy 8.1 belt squeeked since new, after putting up with it for 30k miles I changed it,  no more squeek...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

who is this?  i used to be a regular member over there after talley broke from lonestarstangs and started his own site...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Post surgery?
What happened?
Hope you're okay TP.  

Last December I took a spill at work and tore up my right ankle, two ligaments torn badly (75% and so close to 100% so as to make no nevermind respectively)   I had surgery two weeks ago to remove scar tissue buildup and smooth out the cartilage and bone, now I go in to see if it is going to get better. I have not been to work since I got injured and I am getting soooo bored.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

who is this?  i used to be a regular member over there after talley broke from lonestarstangs and started his own site...

Im StreetCruiser on there. Talley's buddy from DFW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top