Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 8:30:22 PM EDT
Got a mailing today diguised as a bill that really was a new order submission.  Why can't they use decent  techniques like a reasonable company.  The last time I dealt with them two companies were trying to collect for an order extension we never made because we never got any of the bennies promised and they shorted us a few months.

That was a bunch of years ago, and I don't even pick the mag up and look at it anymore at the market.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean you dont want to know how GREAT the 1911 is...again.... and again... and ...

again....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]

and again!?!?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
and again!?!?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
WHat's wrong with the 1911
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
C'mon, the 1911 IS great

I can't stand a few things about G&A.  They are head over heels in love with anything Ruger.  Ruger this, Ruger that, everything Ruger is superior to all, according to them.  

They do have a column about the Second Amendment and the author is an absolutist, but for all their hoopla about the RKBA, they still suck Ruger's dick, wtf?

They don't appear to be able to shoot guns very well.  With the exception of a few of their authors, these guys, with all their firearm experience, should be able to hold groups better than what they publish.

And finally, who holds a 1911 like this :

The only people I see shoot like this are n00bs and Hollyweirdos who don't know jack about guns in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Guns & Ammo appears to be like the magazine "Popular Photography."

Most of their money seems to be made off product advertisements. Obviously, they're going to play down the bad aspects of their advertisers' products.

I can't believe they gave a rave review of the S&W SW1911 when it came out. That thing was (and probably still is) a POS. I could fit TWO stacked business cards between the rear sight and the frame. Fit and finish were terrible (even worse than the SIG GSR)..... all for the extra low price of roughly a grand.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can't believe they gave a rave review of the S&W SW1911 when it came out. That thing was (and probably still is) a POS. I could fit TWO stacked business cards between the rear sight and the frame. Fit and finish were terrible (even worse than the SIG GSR)..... all for the extra low price of roughly a grand.

Damn they were all like that?  I DID notice that huge gap between the sight and the frame in the picture and said to myself "You have got to be fucking kidding me.  I've seen better-fit Llamas for Pete's sake."  But no, it was hailed as an awesome gun.  The author's biggest complaint was the full length guide rod.  Please.  S&W needs some fucking QC
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, and let's not forget that dumb ass SureFire rag they put out.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=391259
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Who holds a 1911 like that?  Lots of people, as noted it is a classic grip.  Don't knock it till you've tried it.  Although I hold it up a little higher.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Man I have tried it.  It sucks; it's no good, at least for me.  Too much muzzle flip.  Remarkably less so with an IPSC straight thumbs grip or a thumbprint-over-thumbnail grip, but YMMV of course.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
C'mon, the 1911 IS great

I can't stand a few things about G&A.  They are head over heels in love with anything Ruger.  Ruger this, Ruger that, everything Ruger is superior to all, according to them.  

They do have a column about the Second Amendment and the author is an absolutist, but for all their hoopla about the RKBA, they still suck Ruger's dick, wtf?

They don't appear to be able to shoot guns very well.  With the exception of a few of their authors, these guys, with all their firearm experience, should be able to hold groups better than what they publish.

tinypic.com/e9hkqg.jpg

The only people I see shoot like this are n00bs and Hollyweirdos who don't know jack about guns in the first place.

Dude in the pic is wearing a GMT Master.... Very cool...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/e9hkqg.jpg

Yep, they had to make sure to get that in the pic to show some good faith in their ad partners.

LOL I just noticed that that's your screen name!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
C'mon, the 1911 IS great

tinypic.com/e9hkqg.jpg

Yea, but he has the jubilee band with it.
Ick.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Got a mailing today diguised as a bill that really was a new order submission. Why can't they use decent techniques like a reasonable company. The last time I dealt with them two companies were trying to collect for an order extension we never made because we never got any of the bennies promised and they shorted us a few months.

Sounds like an NRA tactic.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Got a mailing today diguised as a bill that really was a new order submission.  Why can't they use decent  techniques like a reasonable company.  The last time I dealt with them two companies were trying to collect for an order extension we never made because we never got any of the bennies promised and they shorted us a few months.

That was a bunch of years ago, and I don't even pick the mag up and look at it anymore at the market.

My wife fell for that a couple of years ago when I was deployed. I came home to a couple of new subscriptions and I asked her about it and she said the "bills" showed up and so she paid them along with the other stuff thats normally due.They didn't get renewed when they ran out, but until then they made good bathroom reading at work that I didn't mind donating to the stall collection, unlike the gun magazines I DO order.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:43:11 AM EDT
[#16]
30-06 vs .308 - c'mon, you don't get tired of reading about it... (joke)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:08:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Read an article in a newsstand G & A last year about a pair of inexpensive pistols they were testing.  

The pistol was falling apart and losing components while the author was testing it………….and he still recommended it as a good defensive pistol.  

That was the last time I read that rag.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#18]
It has become one of the worst publications out there- a sad fall from grace.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:39:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Nothing, but to put it on the cover, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing, but to put it on the cover, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

+1

You can only read so much about the 1911 and its 1,000,000 different variants so many times. They should just make a 1911-themed magazine and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:09:31 AM EDT
[#22]
To be fair, it is not as if there is a whole lot of revolution in the firearms industry, now is there?

We are basically toting slightly modified versions of what we have been toting for almost 70 years.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
To be fair, it is not as if there is a whole lot of revolution in the firearms industry, now is there?

We are basically toting slightly modified versions of what we have been toting for almost 70 years.

But you rarely read about SIGs, Glocks, FNs, HKs, and Steyrs with the same frequency as 1911 and 1911 variants.

They slap on a new trigger and they do a 5 page review on the 1911.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Its a given that I could read 100 issues of G&A and maybe learn three new things.  Worthless rag.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:57:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll subscribe to another gun rag as soon as my internet connection dies.....

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Classic Cup & Saucer?

I'll take the legacy Charlie's Angel's grip over that shit anyday.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you rarely read about SIGs, Glocks, FNs, HKs, and Steyrs with the same frequency as 1911 and 1911 variants.

What's to write about an ugly peice of plastic?

"It's REAL reliable". "Goes bang every time". "Plenty accurate". "Ugly as hell".

There... now someone's written about your pistol.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Saves on clutter, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Classic Cup & Saucer?

I'll take the legacy Charlie's Angel's grip over that shit anyday.

Pics?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll top that - I still subscribe to Shooting Times. The other week I got a notice that said they were switching to an "automatic renewal" system unless you call or send them a letter to continue invoicing you. WTH? I love the mag but sheeze... Automatic renewal??? Screw that!

BTW "Cup and Saucer?" He should be holding his pinkies out...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I buy gun mags to read about guns and relevant issues ...not cars, trucks, ATVs, suspension kits, brush guards, etc.  
Shooting Times  (due to their abbreviated format and lack of decent writers)(Skeeter and the Sheriff Jim wilson are "ok") and Guns and Ammo aren't my favorites.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's to write about an ugly peice of plastic?

"It's REAL reliable". "Goes bang every time". "Plenty accurate". "Ugly as hell".

There... now someone's written about your pistol.

LOL

Instead they write "falling apart as I am using it" "horrible ergonomics, poor design" "10MOA accuracy at 5 yd" "one of the best 1911s I have ever used, I give it 5/5"
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:They should just make a 1911-themed magazine and be done with it.

They do.  The G&A retatrds guide to da 1911.  They print that shit twice a year.  Its the same old shit with just an extra comma or two.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I subsribed to GA for 20+ years my folks used to get it fo me every year at christmas
However i do not hunt anymore got tired of trap and skeet after sbout 10years
All I do is shoot 3 gun and  IPSC/IDPA
I just get SWAT and guns and weapons for LE since they do articles about stuff that actally intrests me
However they print some major bullshit too on occasion
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
(Skeeter and the Sheriff Jim wilson are "ok")

Heh.  My county sheriff is "Jim Wilson," just not THAT Jim Wilson.  I had to do a double-take.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#36]
CUP and SAUCER?

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
It has become one of the worst publications out there- a sad fall from grace.
-Hobbit

That's for sure.

I first subscribed to it in the mid-70's. By the time the late 90's rolled around it was a completely different magazine. All the old timers were dead or had left. What was once the best gun mag on the market is now the worst.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#38]
So everybody hates the articles in G&A and Shooting Times. What does the hive think about the articles that have been in Shotgun New for the past few years? I really like the issues with the glossy covers, how 'bout you guys?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't subscribe to those things. I can get all the firearm information I need off of the internet, much of it from right here at AR15.com.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

considering where "our" gun rags are kept...can we assume you have a laptop with wireless internet?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
what really pissed me off was the bill to renew the subsciption 3 months into the old one.

ROFL
that is what the NRA does....
Renewed in July ....got a time to renew notice last week
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

yeah, who needs magazines!   oh, wait, I don't have a computer in the bathroom ....
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

considering where "our" gun rags are kept...can we assume you have a laptop with wireless internet?

Nope, but I have a never-ending supply of new catalogs from CTD, centerfiresystems, cabelas, bassproshops, and if things are really bad, there is always the BROWNELL's catalog.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm down to only one gun rag now - Small Arms Review.  I actually look forward to every issue!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Man I have tried it.  It sucks; it's no good, at least for me.  Too much muzzle flip.  Remarkably less so with an IPSC straight thumbs grip or a thumbprint-over-thumbnail grip, but YMMV of course.

It's what I learned after the one hand, other in the back pocket growing up.  Never shot less than expert with it in the reserves and I shot some pretty loose 1911s.  Then again I have a pretty good sized hand, my right thumb is over my left thumb.  I figure it ain't broke so I'm not going to.  I've had several Rangemasters and Instructors over the years tell me my grip is wrong, I tell them to check the group and they generally say  to carry on.

That said, even though I dearly love my 1911s, they aren't for everybody.  A smaller person or just smaller hands is going to have problems with many grip styles.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#47]
I ordered a Brownell's catalog 5 weeks ago and they did not ship one out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's what I learned after the one hand, other in the back pocket growing up.  Never shot less than expert with it in the reserves and I shot some pretty loose 1911s.  Then again I have a pretty good sized hand, my right thumb is over my left thumb.  I figure it ain't broke so I'm not going to.  I've had several Rangemasters and Instructors over the years tell me my grip is wrong, I tell them to check the group and they generally say  to carry on.

That said, even though I dearly love my 1911s, they aren't for everybody.  A smaller person or just smaller hands is going to have problems with many grip styles.

It's not that I cannot shoot accurately with it.  I would also shoot one-handed primarily before I went into Weaver or Isosceles, so I could get accustomed to the weight and get rid of my flinch.  So it probably doesn't really matter where we put our support hands -- we'll score good hits regardless of where it is.  My problem with "cup and saucer" is I can't shoot accurately quickly.  You're right about the hands, though -- my dad has some monster paws and he has no problem controlling quick fire with the 1911, even one-handed.

However, all I am saying is, all other things (read accuracy) equal, I can shoot DRAMATICALLY faster with the IPSC grip or the revolver grip than with the cup and saucer, and I would contend that many other folks do too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Nothing after you work on it a little.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Better than seeing a Glock.   To be far I own and carry a glock and not a 1911 but I would rather look at a cool 1911 than another Glock.  Even when Glock releases a new model, It still looks like a fucking Glock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top