User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2005 1:43:37 PM EDT
www.local6.com/news/5048616/detail.html

Stray Bullet Nearly Hits Sleeping UCF Student

POSTED: 6:45 am EDT October 3, 2005
UPDATED: 3:31 pm EDT October 3, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Stray bullets from a parking lot shooting at some University of Central Florida-run apartments early Monday peppered the wall of a building at the complex, including one bullet that nearly hit a sleeping student, according to a Local 6 News report.

Several residents at the Pegasus Landing apartments heard gun shots in the parking lot outside building 17 at about 2 a.m.

Bullets hit an apartment building. But what concerned police was that one of the bullets passed though a window and into the bedroom where a UCF student was sleeping. She was not injured.

Police detained several people found near the shooting but they were not considered suspects as of early Monday.

The men did not appear to be UCF students.

It appears to be a random shooting, Local 6 News reporter Jesscia Sanchez said.

Police were called to the same apartments in December when a man was found shot to death near the clubhouse. The shooting death was the school's first-ever slaying.

Three people were eventually arrested in the case.

If you have any information concerning this crime, you are urged to call Crimeline at (800) 423-TIPS.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2005 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I go to UCF too, on the main road that goes past the front of the University(Alafaya) there are off-campus housing for students; Pegasus Landing(the one involved in the shooting,[the closest one to the school-directly across the street]), Pegasus connection(where i live)-the second furthest, then Pegasus Pointe, the furthest down the street. They are separated by about a mile and a half each, which is filled with some homes, a small shopping plaza and gas stations. The housing in between is semi-rundown to unkept, some are nice, but not for the most part.

So, im just over a mile from school. And the same distance from Landing because its right across the street. Ive only lived here a  couple months and have already put my weapon to use twice-in selfdefense. One to the point of draw down, ill explain these in detail.

Up until now, I never felt like i really needed it. My roommates dont know i have it; which is for the better. One is a girl who told me she didnt like me having guns, the other 2 guys are idiots and probably shouldnt know. I met some people in my here in my complex and have showed it to one, he's just like me so no worries. We have a deadbolt on our front door as well as our room doors so i lock up when i leave, i still put the gun away hidden, just in case someone does break in.

But my room is the one closest to the door, the others are much further back. I am the most vulnerable in this setup if a break in were to occur, but then again i am the most capable of defeating an attacker.

1st incident; Drawdown: One of my dimwit roommates went out to go to some clubs one night; whatever. I thought he was back, so i locked the front door before going to bed. It was just past 1 anyways. Then, about an hour later, i'm awaken by a heavy beating on the front door. I sit up, still a little dazed. Then all of the sudden, that same pounding is on my bedroom window (its not far from the door).I thought i was getting robbed or broken into, so I immediatly retrieved my handgun at that point. In the instant of time i had, i backed up to the wall to look out the window before i go look through the peephole or open the door. Sure enough it was my roommate with a beer in his hand. He's a rich little prick that doesnt think much, so he didnt take his keys when he left. I put everything away and went and let him it, yelling at him of course.

2nd incident; Was at an apartment across from me with some friends. Maybe 30 feet from my apartment. It was a friday night, there was some drinking, mostly lound music and me relaxing with a black and mild. One of their roommates is black, and has friends over alot. I dont judge things by race, and were all good friends. But i guess some other black guys came over and started shit with them and their roommates. One who is 6'7" and play college football, and the other is built. Well, they all got in a fight, i stayed out of it, but then one of the guys that came over picked up a broken bottle and starting swinging it, then it moved to the parking lot. They started saying things like "If i fight a white-boy, i dont care if i die" and saying they were going to go get guns and shoot the place up. OK, enough words for me, Cellphone: Check. Handgun: Check. Status: Waiting cautiously with 911 1 button away and 10 9mm rounds on tap. They ended up leaving and nothing else resulted. LUCKILY. No, i didnt brandish my weapon, i had it in my holster, and i was up in my apartment by then because i dont have a CCW so i wasnt going to leave with it concealed.

Now this happens? People that give me shit for owning weapons, guns in particularly. Fuck you. Ok, so not all my guns are for self-defense, i have an AK too-but thats at my dads house. For awhile i kind of questioned if i really needed it or the money. Ive read the stories on here, but ive never had something like this happen so close to me. Wow, what an eye-opener.

Ok, i'm done.

Edit: One more piece of info; The place involved in the shooting, is "Campus Affiliated"-Meaning they have routine patrols by UCF police. Where i live ISNT. So technically that one is supposed to be the safer one. Heh.

And for the brady bunch, peppering a building with rounds isnt self-defense. Hopefully they wont play this off as a result of the new law.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a handgun at most colleges, yer likely to get free room and board.

Compliments of the gov't - at the Federal penitentiary of the judges choosing.

Plan accordingly.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Plan accordingly.

::Ahem:: I live offcampus. Nor do i bring it to school.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Plan accordingly.

Hmm.....I have four longarms and at least 2,000 rounds of ammunition.......off campus though!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Plan accordingly.

There are NO federal laws concerning guns on college campuses.  In my state of PA, there are no state laws either.  At most colleges you will get kicked out.

Good reasons to keep the gun and shut the fuck up.  I was going to school in Chester, PA. which has 4.5 times the murder rate of philadelphia and the highest violent crime index in the state.  You better believe i have a gun.  Now i have an off campus apartment so it's not a problem.

BMF, i strongly recommend you get a carry permit and don't think twice about carrying on campus.  There're no rules for criminals and violence can strike anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My dad has his CCW, im not 21 yet otherwise i would; trust me.

Im slowly piecing together an AR too, in case something like having some gangbanger pepper my building ever happens. I have an AK, but thats at home in my dads gunsafe, i need to do some things to it before brining it up here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#6]
orlando sucks...  lol  had a few   things like that  happen to me when i was in school...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Plan accordingly.

My college required six credits of phys ed.  One of my credits was earned for participation in a pistol marksmanship class.....on campus, of course.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Read your college's specific rules concerning firearms. Since it's private property, i don't think you are allowed to carry unless you have specific consent from the school.

My school has had firearms issues before, like a janitor who tried to kill his boss (was wrestled and disarmed after getting off 1 shot) and a bunch of retarded freshmen who dressed up like ninjas, armed themselves with airsoft, and tried to blow up my rival fraternity with fireworks bombs. A sorority girl spotted those creepy losers and they got busted by the cops and promptly kicked out of school and thrown in jail. For airsoft guns.

That being said, Florida is a gun friendly state, i'm sure your college has a specific section in its rules and regulations concerning firearms on campus. Usually, if you violate said rules you'll "just" get kicked out of college.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll have to see, but UCF Police Chief Pudge Pudge gave this speach at orientation "Dont use mace, they will probably take it away and rape you, or get even more pissed speech"

I'll see though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Since I can't carry because of state laws I do as my profs do, carry my Benchmade on the small of my back.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I would seriously consider transfering.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Only ten rounds of 9mm??

Dude get some normal capacity mags!!!

If you live off campus why are you worried.  Carry some spray while on campus and leave your guns at home.  Both your instances where you needed guns were at your home, so I don't see the point of your thread.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Dont sweat it. It was probably just UCF campus cops.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
BMF, i strongly recommend you get a carry permit and don't think twice about carrying on campus.  There're no rules for criminals and violence can strike anywhere.

+1

Deep carry.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Plan accordingly.

umm, no

It would be a state offense if he brought it on campus, there is no federal law concerning firearms on campus. Also, he has the guns in an apartment.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Read your college's specific rules concerning firearms. Since it's private property, i don't think you are allowed to carry unless you have specific consent from the school.

My school has had firearms issues before, like a janitor who tried to kill his boss (was wrestled and disarmed after getting off 1 shot) and a bunch of retarded freshmen who dressed up like ninjas, armed themselves with airsoft, and tried to blow up my rival fraternity with fireworks bombs. A sorority girl spotted those creepy losers and they got busted by the cops and promptly kicked out of school and thrown in jail. For airsoft guns.

That being said, Florida is a gun friendly state, i'm sure your college has a specific section in its rules and regulations concerning firearms on campus. Usually, if you violate said rules you'll "just" get kicked out of college.

College Capmus private property? Last time I checked UCF was a State School.

And, state law says it is illegal to carry at school.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in Ohio, im not 21 yet but im planning on getting my CHL. My school does not allow any firearms on campus and state law prohibits carrying on campus. Would you think I would be ok to keep the gun in my truck and only carry when im off campus?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#19]
To all those worried about someone getting caught packing a pistol on campus, consider this:

Every weekend, at least a thousand, if not more, undergrads at my university get drunk.
On an average weekend, there are maybe 1 or 2 people written up for underage possession of alchohol.

Now, consider a pistol.
Easily hidden on one's person and in one's room.
No campus safety guy is even operating at that level to wonder "gee does this clean cut, polo shirted, khaki wearing kid reading in the library have a concealed pistol on him?"

If you want to keep something hidden/secret on campus, it can be done.
If it couldn't be done then college wouldn't have the rep. it does.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
It would be VERY easy to keep a weapon here. If my roomate found it he would probably trade it for dope though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'll have to see, but UCF Police Chief Pudge Pudge gave this speach at orientation "Dont use mace, they will probably take it away and rape you, or get even more pissed speech"

I'll see though.

The head of security here wears a 1/2" belt and Khakis. One look at him and you know he has NO weapons. I thought that was a bad thing...then I realized that if they had weapons they would probably just have NDs anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
To all those worried about someone getting caught packing a pistol on campus, consider this:

Every weekend, at least a thousand, if not more, undergrads at my university get drunk.
On an average weekend, there are maybe 1 or 2 people written up for underage possession of alchohol.

Now, consider a pistol.
No campus safety guy is even operating at that level to wonder "gee does this clean cut, polo shirted, khaki wearing kid reading in the library have a concealed pistol on him?"

The implementation of it (while easy) is different from the principle of it.

If you are the kind of person that cannot follow the rules of an organization that has voluntary membership, perhaps you should choose to not be a member.  (Not saying YOU specifically, but as a general point).
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Only ten rounds of 9mm??

Dude get some normal capacity mags!!!

If you live off campus why are you worried.  Carry some spray while on campus and leave your guns at home.  Both your instances where you needed guns were at your home, so I don't see the point of your thread.

Did you see the story? They shooting took place at their home.

I need to get something smaller if im going to carry concealed(when i get my CCW of course) I have a Taurus PT-99 right now; laugh if ya want but its been nothing but accurate and reliable for me. I know i need to get some highcaps for it, any idea where to get some?

You're right, I'm clean cut; Polo shirt, nice pants, shaven and almost a high and tight.

Campus police have guns here, and im not on campus late really so im not worried about that. But there are some parts around here that are kinda shady, like where i work ect.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now, consider a pistol.

If you are the kind of person that cannot follow the rules of an organization that has voluntary membership, perhaps you should choose to not be a member.  (Not saying YOU specifically, but as a general point).

A rule cannot be broken if you're not caught.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now, consider a pistol.

I undertstand exactly what you are saying.
Thankfully, I do not feel the need to carry at my university as it is in a very safe place.
Also I am not yet 21, so I can't buy a pistol yet.
However - why should someone be denied the exercise of their civil rights.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now, consider a pistol.

Unrealistic attitude.  College education is necessary for some jobs and colleges as a rule don't allow guns.  They have, you might say, a monopoly.  My philosophy is that unjust and unconstitutional laws are unethical, eg laws that required German citizens to turn in fugitive Jews.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad News:

Most universities are 'State Supported'.  This means that they get around 50% of their funding from State sources.  The rest of their funding comes from various grants, federal or state, as well as private grants (of which there are a suprising number).

So, a university campus is technically private property.  Technically.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a counselor bitching at me because my BM 710 was against UAA's no weapons policy.  She stopped when I took notice of her keychain mace sprayer and made mention of it.

Keep yourself safe.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad News:

Most universities are 'State Supported'.  This means that they get around 50% of their funding from State sources.  The rest of their funding comes from various grants, federal or state, as well as private grants (of which there are a suprising number).

So, a university campus is technically private property.  Technically.

How does that mean technically?  Please explain and provide sources.

either way it has nothing to do with the case here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Either way it doesnt matter, my school has a no-firearms policy. Im not sure the details on it but i will check it out. Pocket knives are another story however. We can have those, just no buck knives or anything. My roommate destroyed my lockback's blade cutting speaker wire so i guess ill be getting another.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#31]
No surprise there. Orlando is a Democrap stronghold and the UCF campus is very liberal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Either way it doesnt matter, my school has a no-firearms policy. Im not sure the details on it but i will check it out. Pocket knives are another story however. We can have those, just no buck knives or anything. My roommate destroyed my lockback's blade cutting speaker wire so i guess ill be getting another.

In Florida, it is legal to have a firearm on campus, but not in the buildings.
As such, I will not be arrested for either vehicle or concealed carry on the grounds of a university.

HOWEVER, the student code of conduct usually specifies no weapons on campus.  The university does have the right to kick you out of school for a violation, but you will not be arrested, unless you bring it into the buildings.

You can carry OC or a stun gun.  Statute 790.06(12) specifies prohibited carry locations.

FS790.06(12)...  any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now, consider a pistol.

Unrealistic attitude.  College education is necessary for some jobs and colleges as a rule don't allow guns.  They have, you might say, a monopoly.  My philosophy is that unjust and unconstitutional laws are unethical, eg laws that required German citizens to turn in fugitive Jews.

I could not disagree more.

There is no NEED for a college degree - it's all about WANT.  People want better jobs.  People want to make more money, etc. etc.   Nobody has a RIGHT to go to college (unless you are a socialist, I suppose).  

Honestly - even though I know you are super-smart guy, and I sort of understand your principle (when it comes to LAWS and social system) - but the comparison to nazi germany and the holocaust as a justification for violating rules of a college is something I have to admit I find just a little ridiculous.  

By enrolling in a college, you are CHOOSING to voluntarily agree to their rules.  Just like you agree to the rules of your bank when you sign mortgage papers, etc.  Signing on the dotted line (in effect) and then deliberately breaking those rules is dishonest in my book, no ifs and buts about it.

That said (and getting down off my high horse ) - I don't have TOO much of a problem with people who choose to carry on college property (for self-protection, not to be cool or gangsta of course) - as long as they are willing to take their medicine if they are busted for breaking the rules.  That, at least is a sort of honesty.  What I cannot STAND are people who choose to break the rules, and then piss and moan about it when they get caught and have to pay the price.  

Either way - sorry to get carried away about this.  I guess it's not really that pertinent to the discussion anyway, since this is off-campus housing.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Chances are you are probably wrong on all counts,but just remember a secret is only a secret if no one else knows it!!

So don't tell anyone  even us that you have one!!!!  Then it will be your little secret!!!!

Got that,What gun??????

Bob
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plan accordingly.

There are NO federal laws concerning guns on college campuses.  In my state of PA, there are no state laws either.  At most colleges you will get kicked out.

Good reasons to keep the gun and shut the fuck up.  I was going to school in Chester, PA. which has 4.5 times the murder rate of philadelphia and the highest violent crime index in the state.  You better believe i have a gun.  Now i have an off campus apartment so it's not a problem.

Not Chester !!!! It is a nice town full of misunderstood people In the 70's when my Dad was working at the Chester Power Plant for PECO, he hit a native that was trying to car Jack him! I remember that like yeaterday , I was only 4 y/o!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I tought two young ladies who study at EWU how to safely use a pistol just today.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Honestly - even though I know you are super-smart guy, and I sort of understand your principle (when it comes to LAWS and social system) - but the comparison to nazi germany and the holocaust as a justification for violating rules of a college is something I have to admit I find just a little ridiculous.  

I don't think it's ridiculous at all.  An unjust. unethical law is an unjust, unethical law.  If you prefer, how about comparing it to the laws that made it illegal to shelter escaped slaves in the pre-bellum south?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:17:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Plan accordingly.

Depends on the state.

In Virginia, for instance, it is merely against College regulations to posess a firearm on campus. The worst that can happen to a student is that they are expelled from the college. VCU is the exception, as they actually managed to weasel criminal penalties into the code.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:19:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You have to look at the legal definition given to "school" in the statute. Most of the time "school" is referring to a k-12 school, and does not include colleges and universities.

And yes, college campuses ARE private property.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:40:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Those in Florida under the State University System, such as UCF in Orlando, are PUBLIC institutions and as such are PUBLIC campuses owned by the State of Florida.

The police are state officers that are sworn just like those of any municipality.

The streets have the same traffic laws as downtown.

The only PRIVATE campuses are those 100% owned by a PRIVATE organization, not State Schools.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:54:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
That said (and getting down off my high horse ) - I don't have TOO much of a problem with people who choose to carry on college property (for self-protection, not to be cool or gangsta of course) - as long as they are willing to take their medicine if they are busted for breaking the rules.  That, at least is a sort of honesty.  What I cannot STAND are people who choose to break the rules, and then piss and moan about it when they get caught and have to pay the price.  

Mercy.

You have been around academia too long.

Yes there are rules and regulations in place that should be followed. Rules about academic honesty and the like are necessary and ought to be strictly upheld.

But no student should be forced to compromise their personal safety to attend a college or university because the "rules" say so! The simple fact is that colleges and universities ARE NOT SAFE. They APPEAR SAFE because the right kind of people haven't targeted them yet. Spending money on student safety is NOT the highest priority at many schools, and the security they provide is a JOKE.

Sexual predators are DRAWN to college campuses. I have video footage sitting on my machine of a guy masturbating in a computer lab 2 feet from a girl working on a term paper.

Should she be expelled if caught with a firearm? With mace? With a knife? With a kerambit? All of which are verboten according to the rules of the university....

The university does not have the right to deny her her basic rights, one of which is the right to capably defend herself.

The university CANNOT and WILL NOT guarantee her security. It ought not deny her the ability to provide for her own security. She should not have to choose between being a rape victim or being denied a college education!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:57:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those in Florida under the State University System, such as UCF in Orlando, are PUBLIC institutions and as such are PUBLIC campuses owned by the State of Florida.

The police are state officers that are sworn just like those of any municipality.

The streets have the same traffic laws as downtown.

The only PRIVATE campuses are those 100% owned by a PRIVATE organization, not State Schools.

You misunderstand the meaning of the word private in this context.

College campuses are private property meaning that they have the right to ask anyone to leave at any time, and can arrest you for trespassing if you do not comply.

From a funding standpoint, they are indeed public schools. But I guarantee that if you look hard enough on the campuses you will find trespass warnings. Those warnings can be enforced.

Many a vagrant has claimed that they can do as they like on our University's property because it is "public" property. The campus police, while arresting them for trespassing, inform them of how wrong they are. Legally college campuses are classified as private property, and refusal to comply with a directive from a college official to vacate the property can and often does end in arrest for trespassing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:13:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Question.  You are under 21 yet have a handgun in your posession?  OH minimum age for purchase is 21 so whos handgun is it?  How happy would that person be if someone else got posession of it and was able to use it or got caught with it?  Just a thought.

A college apartment is a terrible place to "hide" a firearm.  Invest in one of the lockable boxes that you can bolt to the floor and open with the appropriate combination if you insist on keeping it in your current situation.  

Alocohol and guns do not mix.  I am also under the impression that you need to be 21 to legally enjoy alcohol in Ohio.

You are asking for a real problem if you get caught with a concealed handgun.  Get a can of pepper spray until you are 21 and then get a CCW.  Stay legal and stay safe.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Question.  You are under 21 yet have a handgun in your posession?  OH minimum age for purchase is 21 so whos handgun is it?

One can legally posess a handgun from age 18 up.

One can legally purchase a handgun from a non FFL from 18 up.

How happy would that person be if someone else got posession of it and was able to use it or got caught with it?  Just a thought.

A college apartment is a terrible place to "hide" a firearm.  Invest in one of the lockable boxes that you can bolt to the floor and open with the appropriate combination if you insist on keeping it in your current situation.  

Alocohol and guns do not mix.  I am also under the impression that you need to be 21 to legally enjoy alcohol in Ohio.

You do need to be 21 to drink nationwide.

You are asking for a real problem if you get caught with a concealed handgun.  Get a can of pepper spray until you are 21 and then get a CCW.  Stay legal and stay safe.  

Firstly, you do not need to be 21 to carry a pistol openly.

Secondly, I believe in some states you can indeed obtain a CCW permit under age 21...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plan accordingly.

Depends on the state.

In Virginia, for instance, it is merely against College regulations to posess a firearm on campus. The worst that can happen to a student is that they are expelled from the college. VCU is the exception, as they actually managed to weasel criminal penalties into the code.

I beleive Virginia is a "Project Exile" state, and gun crimes are punished federally.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:37:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Question.  You are under 21 yet have a handgun in your posession?  OH minimum age for purchase is 21 so whos handgun is it?

One can legally posess a handgun from age 18 up.

One can legally purchase a handgun from a non FFL from 18 up.

How happy would that person be if someone else got posession of it and was able to use it or got caught with it?  Just a thought.

You do need to be 21 to drink nationwide.

Firstly, you do not need to be 21 to carry a pistol openly.

Secondly, I believe in some states you can indeed obtain a CCW permit under age 21...

Buying a handgun is some states while under 21 will get you a nice stay at a motel courtesy of the state government.  PA is that way and I believe that Ohio is as well.  I am not sure about FLA.  

Sorry ...I just read the part where he said that he stayed in his apartment with the pistol.  Still a dicey situation given todays political climate and the possibility of an escalating situation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:47:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I beleive Virginia is a "Project Exile" state, and gun crimes are punished federally.

Only if it is a federal crime in the first place.

If a felon is caught carrying a concealed weapon, they are in violation of Federal law, meaning they will be prosecuted for it.

If, however, a non-felon student who has a concealed carry permit is caught carrying said weapon on a college campus, he has broken no law. In Virginia, only VCU's weapon regulations are actually a matter of State law. In the rest of the public colleges and universities, the prohibitions against weapons are a matter of university policy only, which does not carry the force of law.

The worst that can happe to a student in most cases is to be expelled. To a non-student, the worst that can happen is a request to leave.

Lately, however, CCW holding students have challenged college weapon policies and insisted that they don't trump state CCW law. Universities have largely backed down on the issue, realizing that they have no basis to resist. The VCDL page has updates about the recent court cases involving carry on college campuses.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:48:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Buying a handgun is some states while under 21 will get you a nice stay at a motel courtesy of the state government.  PA is that way and I believe that Ohio is as well.  I am not sure about FLA.  

Sorry ...I just read the part where he said that he stayed in his apartment with the pistol.  Still a dicey situation given todays political climate and the possibility of an escalating situation.

Individual state laws may varry, but federally one is allowed to purchase firearms at the age of 18, even handguns unless the purchase is done through an FFL.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

If, however, a non-felon student who has a concealed carry permit is caught carrying said weapon on a college campus, he has broken no law. In Virginia, only VCU's weapon regulations are actually a matter of State law. In the rest of the public colleges and universities, the prohibitions against weapons are a matter of university policy only, which does not carry the force of law.

All well and good.

Still, I'm not gonna lay my neck in the guillotine of some ninny liberal bed wetter professor at State U, or some small town prosecutor looking to make a name for himself.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:00:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All well and good.

Still, I'm not gonna lay my neck in the guillotine of some ninny liberal bed wetter professor at State U, or some small town prosecutor looking to make a name for himself.

....and this is the bottom line.  BMF could lose his rights for the rest of his life over something little.  

Better at his age to play it safe.....enjoy college....enjoy his beer....and get a can of pepper spray until he is legal to carry concealed.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top