Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 7:32:45 PM EDT
The engine in my bro-n-laws van dies intermitantly and will not start (it does crank over) for 1/2 -3 hours but then runs fine until it decides to do it again.  I had an engine do this in an '89 Cavalier and it turned out to be the crank sensor.  I asked my bro to check for fuel and spark next time it does this to help narrow it down a bit.                any Ideas would be apreciated..........
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#1]
ttt
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Take it to auto zone and have them read the OBD II code, then go from there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
No codes stored.  It has been my experience that codes are not always thrown so I am asking for other owners of this engine if they have had a similar problem and what they had to do to correct it.  thanks, jp
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a fuel pump over heating.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The engine in my bro-n-laws van dies intermitantly and will not start (it does crank over) for 1/2 -3 hours but then runs fine until it decides to do it again.  I had an engine do this in an '89 Cavalier and it turned out to be the crank sensor.  I asked my bro to check for fuel and spark next time it does this to help narrow it down a bit.                any Ideas would be apreciated..........

If you told me this was a late 90s Ford, I would know the answer- Thick Film Ignition. Known service problem requiring warranty work in CA. Probably the Chevy version is what it is. FWIW, I have an 8.1 and have had no problems. TFI is a sensor near the engine not properly insulated and heating up, causing engine to shut down till it cools down.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you told me this was a late 90s Ford, I would know the answer- Thick Film Ignition. Known service problem requiring warranty work in CA. Probably the Chevy version is what it is. FWIW, I have an 8.1 and have had no problems. TFI is a sensor near the engine not properly insulated and heating up, causing engine to shut down till it cools down.

the chevy LT1 had a similar prob with their ignition.

BTW  the fuel was replaced.

I've had two '99 GM's that the ignition switch went bad on zt around 65K miles, I later learned this is common.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#7]
It needs a crank sensor. I just had to put one in my '02 Avalanche 2500. Parts and labor was about $240. It's a common problem with the 8.1 up until late '02.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It needs a crank sensor. I just had to put one in my '02 Avalanche 2500. Parts and labor was about $240. It's a common problem with the 8.1 up until late '02.

$240 to install a crank sensor?  The one i put in the Cav cost $25 and took 5 minutes to install  :(
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top