Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 9:51:40 AM EDT
The electric flame scallop?

I saw one of these at the pet store and the neato guage went off the chart.

www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1525

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'd love to have a saltwater tank, but I hear it's difficult to maintain, not to mention extremely expensive.  That scallop looks pretty cool.

that's what keeps me out of the salt water game.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
heh... i was considering putting together a salt water tank.  i started planning out what i needed, and $2000 later , i decided to give up on the idea.  i think i'll just stick with my 3 dollar goldfish in a small bowl
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Not difficult at all to maintain, if you educate yourself and know what you're doing.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
heh... i was considering putting together a salt water tank.  i started planning out what i needed, and $2000 later , i decided to give up on the idea.  i think i'll just stick with my 3 dollar goldfish in a small bowl

Good example.  You probably should not invest in a saltwater tank if you keep a carp in a small bowl.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good example.  You probably should not invest in a saltwater tank if you keep a carp in a small bowl.

It didn't take long to hit $2000 either did it?

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like Aqua-Elmo!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I just want to know what they taste like....

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]
All you're missing is some pasta, white wine sauce and a nice salad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#10]
The expense varies with what animals you choose to keep.  A reef tank full of corals being the most costly; The most expensive investment being the lighting for these creatures.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The expense varies with what animals you choose to keep.  A reef tank full of corals being the most costly; The most expensive investment being the lighting for these creatures.

I can't recall the wattage they recommended for a 50 gallon tank, but it was up there as was the price. Indoor sunisn't cheap .

so i went with the cheapo 20 gallon freshwater tank. whole set up was maybe $100 if that LOL  Woooo Hoooo
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#12]
salt water aquariums are pretty cool... but way too high maintenance.

some day!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not difficult at all to maintain, if you educate yourself and know what you're doing.

I agree.  My roommate had a saltwater tamk and I took care of it for 6 months.  I didnt do a dang thing other than add fresh water and feed once a week.  It was a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got several freshwater aquariums I keep with local species I catch fishing.

If I lived near an ocean I'd consider salwater.

A small salwater set up is not hard to maintain.

Your looking at those mega sized reef tanks.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Reminds me of an ex-girlfriend.  Those orange things are teeth, right?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
salt water aquariums are pretty cool... but way too high maintenance.

some day!

The maintenance really isn't all that bad depending on what type of fish you get. If you get a reef tank it is going to be significantly higher than a fresh water tank, but it you go with aggressive type fish such as trigger fish, lion fish, damsels etc. It isn't much harder to maintain than a fresh water tank.

A lot of people make the mistake of just jumping into it and not educating themselves.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Get some small damsels and some live rock to start out with.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#18]
This fish made me set up a salt tank when I was a kid. I saw this guy in the shop and had to have one. One of these days I'm gonna have to set up another tank.
Clown triggerfish.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Most fish stores won't tell you this because they want to sell you a bunch of expensive fish, but black mollies (usually a fresh water fish)  will do just fine in salt water. You just have to raise the salt level slowly over a day. They are a cheap alternative to the inital tank cycle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I knew some guys who lived in the barracks that had a salt water tank with a fresh water filter. I commented on the difficulty of keeping a salt water tank. "Naw" they said "Just go to the ocean and bring  back 10 gallons of fresh seawater a day" They were changing 50% of the water a day.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Most fish stores won't tell you this because they want to sell you a bunch of expensive fish, but black mollies (usually a fresh water fish)  will do just fine in salt water. You just have to raise the salt level slowly over a day. They are a cheap alternative to the inital tank cycle.

+1
I started a tank for mollies, and I found that salt is recommended when keeping mollies.
didn't take long before I had little baby mollies either.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Scallops/clams... it's all the same.  You MUST have high powered lighting, a skimmer, excellent filtration (chemical, mechanical, biological), maintain a high Ph (8.2 or higher) and keep salinity above .0125.  That particular scallop is hard to keep alive... especially for a beginner.  It MUST be fed by hand every day and it MUST have adequate water flow all the time.  It MUST have calcium, iodine, stronium, etc. supplements weekly.

Good luck with salt water (I've had my present set-up over 1 year  and I have over 5 years experience) with marine aquariums.  If you need any help with setting up a system, just send me an e-mail and I'd be happy to consult with you.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Not high maint. at all.............. No more then freshwater IMO!

A majority of the fish are now farm bred/raised in captivity & not caught in the wild which makes them a little on the hardy side............. And with skimmers catching on, it’s a lot easier!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I did not think salt water tanks where much harder to maintain than Fresh water.  
I ran two reef tanks for about 5 years 1 was 175 gal and the other 150 gal.  I just have not had time to set them back up after I moved.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If I lived near an ocean I'd consider salwater.

Chances are you wouldn't want to use water collected from the shore.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I do a small water change once a week and scrape a small amount of algal film off the glass every two.  That's it.  Everything else is automated or taken care of by the inhabitants.

High maintenance?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#27]
YUMMMMMM broiled scallops with butter and lemon!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
YUMMMMMM broiled scallops with butter and lemon!!!

Never thought I'd see the day I'd say it.  But

Mussels with butter,lemon and garlic.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I tried them this past week, first time and won't be the last.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top