Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 10:01:01 PM EDT
I know some library's and hotels have it. Anyone else have it for free? I don't have cable or DSL and I have really SLOW dialup because I have analog phonelines. No cable in the area either. Only satellite like DirectWay so I don't have a router yet.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
There's *LOTS* of idiots, er... PEOPLE that simply plug in their routers and leave them default unsecured...

Panera Bread offers free WiFi at their stores.

Having spent nearly 2 weeks on the road and using the free WiFi provided at some motels I can tell you that about 90% of them *SUCK MAJOR ASS* (lousy speeds, flaky connections, etc...)  I got so damned fed up that I went ahead and did the Verizon Broadband/Nationwide Access thing.  A number of larger cites have honest to God broadband access and almost any smaller town in the country that's not too far off the interstates have Nationwide access (faster than dialup but not really "high speed").  It ain't cheap ($79 a month + wireless card) but it WORKS.  The Kyocera network card also has a native OS X application to interface with the card, so my PowerBook is happy as well.

I'm on it right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much any neighborhood.  I prefer apartment complexes though. You get a much better selection of networks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My neighbor.

beaten to the punch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top