Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 12:23:47 PM EDT
Alright, I've had many problems since moving in.  I've had to post about my problems with the roomate doing dishes, and girl confusion (Ohio girls are more confusing than them CT girls).  Now theres a new problem, there are squirrels living in my fucking wall.  It started a few days ago as the cold snap in southern OH hit.  There are random scratching and crawling noises coming from the wall, at first I guessed it was large rats, till my roomate pointed to the large holes outside the house our landlord never patched up.  How the hell do I solve this?  while trying to pass out I hear this scratching noise that sounds like its straight out of a horror movie.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm ashamed to admit this, but I have an uncle who shot a rat in his living room with a 12 guage!This probably isn't good advice for you.  Hopefully someone will have a better idea shortly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
call a exterminator to set up a special trap to catch the squirrels when the leave the hole in the wall. They can patch the hole after they catch the bastard.
ETA: the fucking landlord should be paying for this not you
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm ashamed to admit this, but I have an uncle who shot a rat in his living room with a 12 guage!

This probably isn't good advice for you.  Hopefully someone will have a better idea shortly.

I thought about shooting the wall with the glock, but that would overpenetrate and hit the neighbor.  Then I thought about smashing the wall in with a sledge hammer, but then the security deposit would be gone.  I'm thinking deadly gases sent through the house is the only option.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably a much better suggestion than advice taken from my uncle.

(the exterminator that is)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
if it wasnt for all the piss and poop they'll leave in there over the winter, i'd say let them go until spring.  although they should still have enough time to build a winter nest ( i think)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Get one of those squirrel sqeakers that hunters use when hunting fox.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Shotgun a la Reno 911.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]
with poison you may end up with a dead squirrel stuck in the wall and stinking up the place
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
call a exterminator to set up a special trap to catch the squirrels when the leave the hole in the wall. They can patch the hole after they catch the bastard.

my landlord is a basterd, he let the hot water go off for three weeks and got pissed off when my rommate wouldn't send him the full rent for it.  Theres no way in hell he's gonna get an exterminator, if he did it would be way after the pests left.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
move

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Nuke them from orbit...
It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Cut a small hole in the wall and jam a few snakes in there
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Chlorine gas they should leave before they start grooving on the gas and die
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There are random scratching and crawling noises coming from the wall, at first I guessed it was large rats, till my roomate pointed to the large holes outside the house our landlord never patched up.  How the hell do I solve this?  while trying to pass out I hear this scratching noise that sounds like its straight out of a horror movie.

They are probably bats. Bats will get in just about any small hole, and love attics and walls. If you hear them in the attic, get some of those sticky mouse traps...the bats will get stuck in them. Also get the holes plugged. If you plug the holes, and don't kill the ones that come in the house, well...have fun. Get your tennis racket handy. If you find their shit (guano), be very careful around it. It is worse than the bats...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my landlord is a basterd, he let the hot water go off for three weeks and got pissed off when my rommate wouldn't send him the full rent for it.  Theres no way in hell he's gonna get an exterminator, if he did it would be way after the pests left.

BTW...to patch the holes, go to your local big box like lowes and get some expanding insulating foam. We did that with the holes the bats were going thru and they don't even try to tear it out...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
My brother had a problem with Squirrels in his attic. He attempted to live trap, poison, sealing all small holes around the foundation to the roof and all the other routine methods. After 2 years he found a solution.
It is a type of bait that to the perp smells like a predator. It is a powder that smells like fox urine. You put it in the attic, around the house, hell pull an outlet and drop some in the wall. He swears by them and it has gotten rid of the problem. It is the only thing that worked. I will attempt to get the name of the item from him tonight. He said he found them on the net.
Just spoke to him and it is called Shake Away, $20 a container.
Type in Shake Away and do a random search.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#18]

smells like fox urine

fox wizz or sir-scratch-allot

Use the
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I had that problem once. I put chicken wire over the hole they were going in. left it there for a couple days until they got good and thirsty. Took it off that morning and came back at lunch and closed up the hole again. Squirrels were gone.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#21]
call your local chimney sweep hes probly a pro at squirll removal the last guy called me... had poked holes down the wall with a knife and a broom handle taped to it. He would stab an the squirll would stick his head out a hole few feet down the wall and look at him funnist dam thing i ever saw still chuckle thinkin about it.. yup try your local chimney sweep
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#22]
They have a one trap door for the squirrels.  They can get out but not back in.  Its a long wire tube that gets smaller as it goes outward.  The little guys go out but cant squeeze back in.  When they have vacated, you patch the hole in the wall.

The landlord should be paying for this.  If he wont fix it, I would wait until you are going to move out then kill the little guy and leave him in the wall.  The next tenant wont be too happy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
move

after being kept up all day by animals in the wall and then getting the most depressing phone call I've ever received, I'm probably gonna move next week...back to CT, fuck OH
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Chlorine gas they should leave before they start grooving on the gas and die

that was my original pest control solution, still planning on it, just gotta give everyone in the house a waning ahead of time (with the exception of my non dish cleaning roomate)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Perfect chance to practice using snares to catch food.

Perfect SHTF practice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#26]
 MOVE THE WHOLE HOUSE TO THE GULF COAST WITH US AND WAIT FOR A HURRICANE,
WEVE GOT ONE BREWING NOW SO HURRY
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:28:35 AM EDT
[#27]
bump for more suggestions
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:45:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
bump for more suggestions

Tannerite?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#29]
get some old ozzy tapes put the player aginst the wall playin f f f full blast  that should  kill anything

then again if its a metal fan try the local talk shows  (edited to add  make sure it hasnt got a nest finished or it will just chew back in some were else)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top