Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 8:47:34 AM EDT
Virginia Deputy Pulls Over Officers, Gets Heat
ASSOCIATED PRESS

STAUNTON, Va. (AP) -- A deputy pulled over a convoy of New Jersey law enforcement officers traveling home from a Hurricane Katrina relief effort, sparking complaints from a New Jersey sheriff for the ''grief'' they received.

Augusta County Sheriff Randall D. Fisher defended the deputy, saying he pulled over the emergency vehicles on Interstate 81 after state police received complaints about their driving.

''They were traveling at a high rate of speed, people were being run off the road,'' Fisher said Thursday. The deputy ''was basically asking the guys to cut their (emergency lights), slow down.''

Some members of the convoy did not heed the deputy's order to pull over, Fisher said, and the stop initially was adversarial.
But he said the New Jersey officers left amid handshakes and back slaps with his deputy.

''We pretty much thought it was the end of the story,'' Fisher said.

But the same day, New Jersey's Passaic County sheriff, Jerry Speziale, called the Augusta County Sheriff's Office and criticized the deputy's actions.

''If you think that that's not a disgrace, you should take the badge off your shirt and throw it in the garbage,'' Speziale said in the telephone call, which Fisher played for The Associated Press.

Speziale said Thursday that the vehicles in the convoy were using their overhead lights while driving in the left lane, but denied they were speeding or pushing drivers off the road.

''I stand behind my men,'' Speziale said.

He said Virginia police had pulled over other out-of-state officers also returning from Hurricane Katrina duty. ''They did it to the NYPD. They did it to others. The pattern's not on our part.''

Fisher said the deputy extended the professional courtesy of not ticketing the officers even though they were speeding at up 95 mph and, he said, forcing motorists out of the passing lane.

But he also said he could understand their haste: ''I'm not defending anyone's actions, but I'm sure they were anxious to get home.''

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#1]
So the thin blue line didn't protect them when they broke the law, and now they are pissed.

My give-a-shit meter is pegged at zero.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Fisher said the deputy extended the professional courtesy of not ticketing the officers even though they were speeding at up 95 mph and, he said, forcing motorists out of the passing lane.

This is what pisses regular motorists off to no end.

"Professional Courtesy" means two sets of rules, and that is PRECISELY where the "us vs. them" thing gets started. If speed limits are a "safety issue" and they were not on the way to a time-sensitive call, then they were placing others at risk needlessly and should get the appropriate tickets and bumps in their insurance rates.

(unless the "I'm the only person on this highway qualified to run at 95 MPH" rule is in effect)
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So the thin blue line didn't protect them when they broke the law, and now they are pissed.

My give-a-shit meter is pegged at zero.

I think you missed the no ticket part
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#4]
EVERY sigle cop in New Orleans was driving with at least lights and most with sirens and all of them were doing well over the speed limit.  Kind of dangerous when you consider that at the time 90% of the traffic on I-10 was military vehicles traveling about 40 mph and traffic was both directions in both lanes.  I was disgusted with the NYPD.  They all seemed to be tourists just driving way to fast and when they got somewhere they just stood around and took pictures with any paratrooper from NY.  they would also ask questions like "So, you seen any bodies?" and then would get all excited and ask us to take them out in our zodiacs so they could see them.  This is all while we are in the middle of search and rescue missions.

drew
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#5]
They should have all been ticketed...

They broke the fucking law...they should pay the fine...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]
unbelievable.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#7]

But the same day, New Jersey's Passaic County sheriff, Jerry Speziale, called the Augusta County Sheriff's Office and criticized the deputy's actions.

''If you think that that's not a disgrace, you should take the badge off your shirt and throw it in the garbage,'' Speziale said in the telephone call, which Fisher played for The Associated Press.

Translation:  You stupid rednecks got a lota nerve pullin' over the my guys.  You want I should come down there & teach youz a lesson about bein' a cop?"
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
unbelievable.

I can believe it.

Our county deputies came back with all their RVs and cars and other equipment with their lights and sirens on. There were no breaks in the convoy so you know they blew through several traffic lights besides other traffic considerations in our town.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
unbelievable.

I can believe it.

Our county deputies came back with all their RVs and cars and other equipment with their lights and sirens on. There were no breaks in the convoy so you know they blew through several traffic lights besides other traffic considerations in our town.

That would make a nice "attention whore" pic.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So no warnings, ever, for traffic violations? I'm not sure thats what most people want.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So no warnings, ever, for traffic violations? I'm not sure thats what most people want.

Thanks for playing. Does it clear up for you if it's rephrased "They are responsible for enforcing the law. They abused the appurtenances of the power they swore to exercise on behalf of the public for personal benefit. They knowingly, deliberately and arrogantly broke the law while behaving as though they were acting on behalf of the law. They should get tickets."?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#12]
"Above the Law" Typical for yankee cops. In NJ, only cops can have hollow point ammo. Civilians will go to jail, felony I believe, for possession of hollow point pistol ammo. In addition, the AR15's that they carry in their trunks are "Urban Police Rifles" The AR15 that you own, if you were allowed in NJ, is considered a " para-military assault weapon".
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I could care less about the speeding, but the obvious abuse of thier position shows what caliber of officer they have there.

That the sheriff called and complained instead of disciplining these guys shows it it a cultural thing with the whole department.

Essentially, one morally bankrupt agency went down to assist another, and then thought it was OK to run lights and sirens all the way home, in states where they have no jurisdiction or legal basis to do so, with no legitimate reason.

Too bad for them they came across an agency that has some integrity. I know what community I would rather live in. Sadly, integrity seems to be getting harder to find these days.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to see non cops try and pull the same stunt and see if they just get a "warning".
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I could care less about the speeding, but the obvious abuse of thier position shows what caliber of officer they have there.

That the sheriff called and complained instead of disciplining these guys shows it it a cultural thing with the whole department.

Essentially, one morally bankrupt agency went down to assist another, and then thought it was OK to run lights and sirens all the way home, in states where they have no jurisdiction or legal basis to do so, with no legitimate reason.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to see non cops try and pull the same stunt and see if they just get a "warning".

It's just a total double standard.  Everyone knows it works like that and it's why there is so much distrust of cops and the us versus them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for playing. Does it clear up for you if it's rephrased "They are responsible for enforcing the law. They abused the appurtenances of the power they swore to exercise on behalf of the public for personal benefit. They knowingly, deliberately and arrogantly broke the law while behaving as though they were acting on behalf of the law. They should get tickets."?

They should get tickets becuase they were confrontational pricks when the error of their ways was pointed out.  You see, traffic enforcement is about saving lives by correcting unsafe driving.  Most times a warning will correct the behavior.  But many times a person's attitude tells you a lot about whether a warning will be enough.

I dont buy off on the "they broke the law, write them the ticket" school of traffic enforcement that pv74 was advocating.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#18]
If they did not receive a ticket, then the Cops who pulled them over were just as pathetic as the LAWBREAKERS who were speeding. Next time I want some, I'm going to speed home and if I get pulled over, I'll just tell them I was in a hurry as I was homesick. Think it'll work?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Translation:  You stupid rednecks got a lota nerve pullin' over the my guys.  You want I should come down there & teach youz a lesson about bein' a cop?"

Thats fucking rediculous.
Guys act like assholes, break the law, etc etc, then they have the nerve to insult a fellow LEO who actually had a sense of honor???
Thank God guys like that (the NJ cops) are the exception, rather then the rule.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Quoted:
They should get tickets becuase they were confrontational pricks when the error of their ways was pointed out be allowed to go.  You see, NJ traffic enforcement is about saving lives by correcting unsafe driving collecting revenue from the sheeple.  Most times a warning will correct the behavior.  But many times a person's attitude tells you a lot about whether a warning extorting a fee will be enough.

I dont buy off on the "they broke the law, write them the ticket" school of traffic enforcement that pv74 was advocating.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should get tickets becuase they were confrontational pricks when the error of their ways was pointed out.  You see, traffic enforcement is about saving lives by correcting unsafe driving.  Most times a warning will correct the behavior.  But many times a person's attitude tells you a lot about whether a warning will be enough.

What ever happened to leadership by example

As an NCO in the U.S. military, I am looked upon as a leader by my subordinates.
Like it or not, I am held to a higher standard. I chose to be an NCO, so I must live by that.

I think the same holds true for police officers....
Like it or not, cops are looked upon as leaders.

Chasing people out of the left lane doing 90 is not setting a good example for other drivers.
It is, in my opinion, poor leadership.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Why the hell would they run lights and sirens,  ONE a siren gets annoying after awhile, TWO where is the justification? THREE a siren gets really fucking annoying after awhile.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If they did not receive a ticket, then the Cops who pulled them over were just as pathetic as the LAWBREAKERS who were speeding. Next time I want some, I'm going to speed home and if I get pulled over, I'll just tell them I was in a hurry as I was homesick. Think it'll work?

+1

While I believe most traffic laws are bullshit, I can't see why cops are supprised let alone expect to be treated with respect.  The way they deal out the law at their personl will is an unfortunate weight on society.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Why the hell would they run lights and sirens,  ONE a siren gets annoying after awhile, TWO where is the justification? THREE a siren gets really fucking annoying after awhile.

Because they can. They know they can, and that most other cops aren't gonna nut up and say anything about it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a buddy who works for the USMS that has been stopped and warned with a prisoner in the back seat.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#26]
The NJ sheriff is also a moron for failing to see the huge risk that his idiot officers took. Imagine if they had been involved in an accident whle running lights hundreds of miles outside thier jurisdiction, Accidents when running code are an instant lawsuit producer even when officers are doing everything right, and in this case.... no defense.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Too bad for them they came across an agency that has some integrity. I know what community I would rather live in. Sadly, integrity seems to be getting harder to find these days.

Why I moved to the Midwest, instead of becoming a cop in Jersey.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they can. They know they can, and that most other cops aren't gonna nut up and say anything about it.

It's bullshit.  State trooper here got fired a few years back for using his lights to get through red lights.  He'd get through it, turn his lights off and go on about his day.  Did it a few to many times.  Pulling into Denny's 100 yards after you do that isn't smart.  Especially when the LTC is waiting on you, in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
"Above the Law" Typical for yankee cops.

The only officer I have ever met with a really bad attitude was  a State Trooper in a Southern state. Please don't make generalizations.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Man I81 is a death trap.  It is a winding 2 lane each way interstate.  Tractor trailers outnumber cars and light trucks.  Tailgating is common those cops from NJ had NO REASON to be driving that fast.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The NJ sheriff is also a moron for failing to see the huge risk that his idiot officers took. Imagine if they had been involved in an accident whle running lights hundreds of miles outside thier jurisdiction, Accidents when running code are an instant lawsuit producer even when officers are doing everything right, and in this case.... no defense.

And if there is an accident and subsequent lawsuit who pays?

Why the very same taxpayer who would get drilled (instead of a warning) for doing 95 on I81.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:56:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Above the Law
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I am very sad to see the deputy pussed out and didn't write tickets to them all
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's a good one that I heard recently:  LEO's in the St. Louis area that when driving back DRUNK from the East Side SHOOT their sidearms at the Gateway Arch!!!  They also shoot at the housing projects that are along the highway!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Lights and sirens traveling up the highway, cross-country, just to get home...  

That's beyond absurd....  I gotta tell my buddy this one.  He's a local copper here.  No doubt he'll get a laugh out of it  

You know, someone else said it above... It's sad, but it really IS some of the shit that gives people that "Us vs. Them" mentality.  

I'd be curious to hear from the actual officers, what their justification was for doing such a stupid thing.  I mean, all the way home ?  sheesh.......

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#36]
But I thought cops deserved special privleges.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ASSOCIATED PRESS

This is what pisses regular motorists off to no end.

"Professional Courtesy" means two sets of rules, and that is PRECISELY where the "us vs. them" thing gets started. If speed limits are a "safety issue" and they were not on the way to a time-sensitive call, then they were placing others at risk needlessly and should get the appropriate tickets and bumps in their insurance rates.

(unless the "I'm the only person on this highway qualified to run at 95 MPH" rule is in effect)

Oh come on now!  We all know that cops drive better than the rest of us!

Just like the Jackass sherrif that cut me off and didnt use his signal while trying not to miss his highway exit the other day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top