BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 10:36:55 AM EDT
Woman Convicted For Attacking Officer
Accused Says She Didn't Like Officer

POSTED: 4:46 p.m. CDT September 28, 2005
UPDATED: 5:06 p.m. CDT September 28, 2005

Story by The Omaha Channel

OMAHA, Neb. -- An Omaha woman was convicted of assault on a police officer Wednesday after she admitted in court that she slapped a police officer.

Connie Norton, 47, is charged with assault on a police after she allegedly attacked an officer at Millard South High School last February. Officer Dawn Chizek said Norton refused to accept a parking ticket, then allegedly hit Chizek across the face and repeatedly kicked her.

The question for the jury was whether the slap was a felony. Norton's lawyers said Wednesday, "We all do stupid things, but does it rise to the level of a felony?"

Several students said they saw the whole thing.

"She started punching and kicking her and apparently started cussing at her because I could hear her at times," said Millard South student Ty Wagner.

Norton said she was afraid of Chizek because of a previous incident in which Chisek had arrested Norton's daughter for a hit-and-run accident. Norton said that when Chizek tried to pull her from her car, she refused.

Norton admitted, "I slapped her on the wrist. I slapped the officer three times. I hit her hard enough to cause her pain."

Prosecutor Sandy Denton told the jury, "People don't have the right to go nuts on a criminal level, and when it's done to a police officer, it's a felony."

Denton asked Norton whether she liked Chizek, and Norton replied, "No, I didn't like her at that time. I know I should not have hit her. But I don't want to take responsibility for things that are an exaggeration."

The jury returned a guilty verdict Wednesday afternoon. Norton could face up to five years in prison.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Fucking A.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Lock her up, long enough for everybody she knows to figure out she's been sent up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep your fucking hands to yourself.  What if I just slapped her daughter?  Would she want me in jail?  Hell yes!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
"Norton said that when Chizek tried to pull her from her car, she refused."
If this part is true I am wondering when pulling someone from a car would come into play over a parking ticket.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If this part is true I am wondering when pulling someone from a car would come into play over a parking ticket.

I'm sure when she said "...tried to pull her from her car..." what she really meant was "...asked her nicely to please step out of the car..."
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure when she said "...tried to pull her from her car..." what she really meant was "...asked her nicely to please step out of the car..."

I don't know how we could be sure of that but I guess it could be.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
the cop missed out on a good opportunity to taze the winch
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other then the witnesses that saw the whole thing...  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Omaha PD isn't big into tazers.  OC on the other hand....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't see a part where the assertion that there was an attempt to pull her from the car was refuted.

(add because sometimes it makes a post more compelling...or something)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Musta graduated from the Za Za Gabor School of  Traffic Stop Etiquette.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#12]
sounds more like battery than assault
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't see a part where the assertion that there was an attempt to pull her from the car was refuted.

I'm pretty sure that pulling her from the car is in reference to her daughter's hit and run accident. Her daughter hit somebody and fled and the same officer stopped her and tried to remove her from the vehicle but she refused.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I thought that's what this was gonna be about, actually....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

they should put little mixing balls in OC like they do spray paint.
make the can rattle very loud and you would stop 90% of the crap.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were you sitting in the courtroom where she was found guilty of a felony charge?  The question wasn't even if she beat on the officer, it was if it rose to the level of a felony.  And it did.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last 10% can be handled by racking their shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last 10% can be handled by racking their shotgun.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that's what this was gonna be about, actually....

Same here...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why even have her get out of the car for a parking ticket?    VIn/plate, done.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were you sitting in the courtroom where she was found guilty of a felony charge?  The question wasn't even if she beat on the officer, it was if it rose to the level of a felony.  And it did.

No I wasn't but if you were please let us know if the cop tried to pull her out of the car because it doesn't really say definitively one way or the other and it seems like that would be a little weird...maybe uncalled for.

ETA:
Did you even read my original post or just go off?  Fuck, relax...it just sounded weird and I was wondering WTF.  I didn't say the cop should get the chair.  Watch the hair trigger, it's fucking dangerous.  I didn't even dispute whether or not she beat the officer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#22]
IAMLEGEND,

Second guessing a jury over an internet article:

j/k

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Comes into play after you slap the officer after refusing to accept the ticket, from one of the links:

"Officer Dawn Chizek said Norton refused to accept a parking ticket, then allegedly hit Chizek across the face and repeatedly kicked her."

Give her the max!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
IAMLEGEND,

Sorry, man.  I wasn't saying the woman was in the right I just couldn't figure that part out about the claim of being pulled out.  It seemed weird.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IAMLEGEND,

Sorry, man.  I wasn't saying the woman was in the right I just couldn't figure that part out about the claim of being pulled out.  It seemed weird.

If it would have been me there would have been large amounts of hot sauce applied.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Comes into play after you slap the officer after refusing to accept the ticket, from one of the links:

"Officer Dawn Chizek said Norton refused to accept a parking ticket, then allegedly hit Chizek across the face and repeatedly kicked her."

Give her the max!

The way it reads it made me think she was saying she slapped as a defense against getting pulled from the car but it doesn't really say enough, specifically enough to be sure.

I don't know how it went down but I don't think cops should be allowed to pull people out of cars over parking tickets.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#27]
[Red Foreman] Dumb-ass![/Red Foreman]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Hitting a cop - what kind of hell storm did she want to bring down on herself -

Sheesh - I swear women are loose cannons . . . .

ETA: If the women refused to "accept" the ticket - Then the officer probably said "could you please step out of the car" (as i probably would seeing that she might be doped up or something) Thats probably what started the whole thing . . .Who knows if the officer used excessive force or not -
I doubt that an officer would try to pull her out - especially without backup - Or maybe she tried to pull her out BECAUSE she was hitting her ? Dunno
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
IAMLEGEND,

If it would have been me there would have been large amounts of hot sauce applied.  

Maybe I'm in the minority here but over a parking ticket, I'd say record the plate and send a summons.  Issue a hefty fine for the original infraction plus the refusal to accept the ticket.  Maybe 'the system' doesn't have provisions for that but spraying people or pulling them out of cars doesn't seem right to me over a parking ticket.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give her the max!

The way it reads it made me think she was saying she slapped as a defense against getting pulled from the car but it doesn't really say enough, specifically enough to be sure.

I don't know how it went down but I don't think cops should be allowed to pull people out of cars over parking tickets.

My guess is Norton was out of her car and started wailing on the officer thinking she would get away with it.  Woman sometimes think they can get away with things just because they are women.  I've never seen that happen before, but I've heard...  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
IAMLEGEND,

Maybe I'm in the minority here but over a parking ticket, I'd say record the plate and send a summons.  Issue a hefty fine for the original infraction plus the refusal to accept the ticket.  Maybe 'the system' doesn't have provisions for that but spraying people or pulling them out of cars doesn't seem right to me over a parking ticket.

On the other hand, getting a parking ticket doesn't warrant a felony assault on a police officer, does it?  Nope.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give her the max!

My guess is Norton was out of her car and started wailing on the officer thinking she would get away with it.  Woman sometimes think they can get away with things just because they are women.  I've never seen that happen before, but I've heard...  

That would be my guess to - Considering you dont pull people over for a PARKING ticket . . . Cop was probably wirtting in when the super bitch showed up and started wailing on her
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

This link has the sequence, it's very clear:
www.theomahachannel.com/news/5027853/detail.html

OMAHA, Neb. -- The mother of a Millard South High School Student is on trial for allegedly assaulting the school's resource officer.

Police arrested Connie Norton after the disturbance outside the high school in February. Tuesday in court, police Officer Dawn Chizek said Norton kicked her, hit her and yelled profanities at her after Chizek tried to serve Norton a parking ticket.

Chizek testified that when she tried to arrest Norton for disorderly conduct, Norton resisted. Chizek said she had to call for backup, and a member of the Omaha police S.W.A.T. team was finally able to subdue Norton.

--------

Sequence:  
1. Chizek tried to serve Norton a parking ticket.
2. Norton kicked her, hit her and yelled profanities at her
3. Chizek tried to arrest Norton for disorderly conduct
4. Norton resisted (again)

I don't see a cop just yanking someone out just to serve a ticket
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give her the max!

I would be more inclined to believe the version you just described.  

Just makes me wonder where the 'pulling out of car' stuff came from.  Maybe she's making shit up to make a berserk freak-out seem (somewhat) justified.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
IAMLEGEND,

On the other hand, getting a parking ticket doesn't warrant a felony assault on a police officer, does it?  Nope.

Not at all.  I don't even want to sounds as if I'm condoning that even a little bit.

But if the pulling out of the car stuff was true no one would respond well to that.  Flailing in self-defense is very foreseeable IF something like that occurred without reason.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This link has the sequence, it's very clear:
www.theomahachannel.com/news/5027853/detail.html

OMAHA, Neb. -- The mother of a Millard South High School Student is on trial for allegedly assaulting the school's resource officer.

Police arrested Connie Norton after the disturbance outside the high school in February. Tuesday in court, police Officer Dawn Chizek said Norton kicked her, hit her and yelled profanities at her after Chizek tried to serve Norton a parking ticket.

Chizek testified that when she tried to arrest Norton for disorderly conduct, Norton resisted. Chizek said she had to call for backup, and a member of the Omaha police S.W.A.T. team was finally able to subdue Norton.

--------

Sequence:  
1. Chizek tried to serve Norton a parking ticket.
2. Norton kicked her, hit her and yelled profanities at her
3. Chizek tried to arrest Norton for disorderly conduct
4. Norton resisted (again)

I don't see a cop just yanking someone out just to serve a ticket

I don't either.  The original article is almost misleading the way they put that in there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#37]
5 years is too harsh for a women hitting somebody I think.

In my life time I have hit many people harder than most women can . And not all were in self defense.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#38]
The only issue here is a distinct lack of nightsticking.

Fuck jail.. She should've spent the night in a holding cell spitting teeth.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I think felonies are thrown out to easily. Would this have been a felony if she had hit someone who wasn't a cop?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top