Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 9:36:42 AM EDT
One of my customers asked me if i'd give them a price on staining or sealing there deck.  I never stained a deck so i don't really know whats best for a deck.  They deck is 1 year old, and is build out of basic treated wood.  What do i do?  Do i have to power wash it first?  What stain or sealer is best?

Thanks
Matt
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Look for a product called Penofin. Its about $100-$120 for 5 gals. It comes in various colors as well as clear. If the deck is a year old its probably pretty dirty. I would powerwash it beforehand.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I know that it sucks.  I restained my parents deck this year.  Stain is the stickiest nastiest crap.  And with a wagner pro sprayer, I got mist all over me.  I will never stain/re-stain a deck.  The deck I'm building at my house will be out of the plastic wood that never needs stains, doesn't warp/expand/discolor.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Decks don't need it unless you don't like the look of aged, weathered wood and like to re-stain decks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I just recently refinished the deck on the back of the house I bought.  All of it was painted with an exterior latex that was starting to peel.  I stripped the paint and used Mason's Superdeck Transparent Stain; www.superdeck.com/2000spec.htm  I brightened it first; www.superdeck.com/1450spec.htm so that the grain would show through well.  Turned out OK although stripping it took forever.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look for a product called Penofin. Its about $100-$120 for 5 gals. It comes in various colors as well as clear. If the deck is a year old its probably pretty dirty. I would powerwash it beforehand.

+1  Stay away from crappy wax-based sealers like Thompsons.  Penofin has kept our redwood looking brand new for 5 years.  

Also, before you power wash, use some deck cleaner - it's a light acid that will pull of the decomposed wood pulp.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just recently refinished the deck on the back of the house I bought.  All of it was painted with an exterior latex that was starting to peel.  I stripped the paint and used Mason's Superdeck Transparent Stain; www.superdeck.com/2000spec.htm  I brightened it first; www.superdeck.com/1450spec.htm so that the grain would show through well.  Turned out OK although stripping it took forever.

Superdeck is good stuff too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Try these guys,

Rot Doctor
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#9]
OxyClean.

I swear. OxyClean. It works better than bleach. Get it in powder form and mix it concentrated... Spray it on using a garden sprayer, then pressurewash it off.

If you want the deck to be absolutely sparkling clean, after you get done pressurewashing, spray on more oxyclean and get on your hands and knees and scrub it with a hard-bristled brush.

Yes, it is an ENORMOUS pain in the butt... but the deck will be so clean you could eat off it.

Then, treat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I would avoid anything that's called a stain.  I refinish hardwood floors in my part-time job and I really hate stained floors and I don't see where it adds anything to protect the wood.  Must my opinion.  I covered my deck in Olympic brand deck treatment.  Water beads on it like a freshly waxed car.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#11]
100 sqft/ man hour is the standard you want to use.  I used ICI's TWP, www.icipaints.com
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top