Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 8:21:30 AM EDT
SPOLIERS

Flight attendants outraged over Jodie Foster film
Sep 28 9:22 PM US/Eastern

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Labor unions representing most of the nation's 90,000 flight attendants have urged their members to boycott a new Jodie Foster film that portrays a flight attendant and a U.S. air marshal as terrorists.

They said that casting cabin crew members as villains in the movie "Flightplan" was irresponsible in light of heightened security concerns since the September 11, 2001 attacks, in which suicide hijackers used airliners as guided missiles.

The Walt Disney Co. film, which was the No. 1 release at the North American box office last weekend, stars Foster as an airline passenger who awakens from an in-flight nap to find her young daughter missing. It turns out that one of the flight attendants aboard is involved in a terrorist plot hatched by the plane's air marshal.

A union statement issued on Tuesday also complained that other flight attendants in the film are shown as being "rude, unhelpful and uncaring."

"This depiction of flight attendants is an outrage," said Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) International President Patricia Friend. "Flight attendants continue to be the first line of defense on an aircraft and put their lives on the line day after day for the safety of passengers."

An AFA spokeswoman in Washington said the unions worry that moviegoers will take away impressions that will make it more difficult for flight attendants to "earn the trust and respect of passengers."

"It's just so irresponsible," the spokeswoman, Corey Caldwell, told Reuters on Wednesday.

She said the portrayal of airline cabin crew members as evil-doers adds further insult to long-standing Hollywood stereotypes that have depicted flight attendants as sexualized bubble heads or as harsh, humorless disciplinarians.

A Disney spokesman said that in making "Flightplan," which grossed nearly $25 million last weekend, "there was absolutely no intention on the part of the studio or filmmakers to create anything but a great action thriller."

"We are confident the public will be able to discern the difference between fiction and the incredible job real-life flight attendants do on a daily basis," the spokesman said.

The AFA called for the boycott along with two sister unions -- the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and the Transport Workers Union Local 556, which represent cabin crew members from American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, respectively. The three unions together represent 80,000 of the 90,000 flight attendants who work for U.S. carriers.

Reuters/VNU

Flight attendants rude?  Uncaring?  How dare a fictitional story depict such a thing.  I am outraged.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#1]
SPOILER ALERT.

Actually, the movie is a crock of liberal hollywood horseshit.

See, throughout the movie you are given hint after hint that the bad deed was done by these Mohammad Atta lookalike middle eastern guys.   Then when it turns out to the be others, you get to feel bad about blaming the middle eastern guys.   Its classic guilt cinema even though the scenario in the movie:  Flight attendants and sky marshalls conspiring to do evil is about a zillion times less likely (and indeed, has NEVER happened) than islamic terrorism which happens A LOT.

Its typical hollywood bullshit trying to engineer people to be better dhimmis in this case.  Fuck that movie and its producers and distributors.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#2]
They're right to be pissed.  That movie made a US Marshall and flight attendents the terrorists, and used Arabs as red herrings.  Complete nonsense, divorced from reality.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

So let's just try to maintain our perspectives and keep what truly matters uppermost in our minds. Don't let Hollywood or hyper-sensitive flying waitresses deflect our thoughts about the things that America stands for:

Is there any Jodie Foster full frontal nudity?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, way to give away the main point of the suspense in the movie, fucking morons.

I guess that's one way to get their boycott wish.

By the way, the movie is pretty good right up until the grand secret is revealed, then it sucks balls.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wow, way to give away the main point of the suspense in the movie, fucking morons.

By the way, the movie is pretty good right up until the grand secret is revealed, then it sucks balls.

Generally when one sees the words "SPOILER ALERT" one should stop reading unless, you know, you're prepared to have things about the movie spoiled for you.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#6]
So who is Hollywood allowed to use as villans?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I liked it better when it was a Hitchcock movie about an old woman missing on a train.  What a ripoff.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Generally when one sees the words "SPOILER ALERT" one should stop reading unless, you know, you're prepared to have things about the movie spoiled for you.

I was referring to the article itself.  I didn't see a "SPOILER ALERT" put up by Reuters.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So who is Hollywood allowed to use as villans?

Neo-Nazis/white men (same thing!)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Cypher may have been talking about the original poster who gave NO spoiler warning before devulging the plot and major elements of the movie.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was referring to the article itself.  I didn't see a "SPOILER ALERT" put up by Reuters.

Good point.  I mistakenly took your comments as an attack on Raven and me, and I stand corrected.

My apologies for the tenor of my response.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#12]
By their logic, there shouldn't be any movies like "The Bad Lieutenant", certain scenes in Eastwood movies (including one about soldiers), "Serpico", and 'Irma La Douce".   Also, we'll have to burn all the "Airplane" and "Police Academy" movies.

As far as the rest of the plane workers are concerned, they must be on a river in Egypt.   My experience with  flight staff is like Forrest Gump and the chocolate box.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh, get over yourselves, stews!  It's a MOVIE!

What, are they above recrimination?  Sure, in movies cops can be dirty, BUT A FLIGHT ATTENDANT?!?  NEVER!

IMHO they're showing that they're just as big a Nazi on the ground as they are in the air...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Why give any money (AT ALL) to Hollyweird?

As for Jodi Foster, she was narrating some Discovery or History Channel show (Three Gorges Dam) over the weekend, with the smarmy voice inflection of the typical liberal ("although the dam will stop floods and provide power for 1/2 of China, is it worth the loss of this old village...") go hug the earth, Berkeley is great, professional or technical people are bad (I dated an attendent who also happened to be an RN, hardly the typical airhead stereotype) blah blah blah.

She needs a donkey punch from what's his name, that nutbag that was trying to impress her that is getting out (already out?) of the looney bin.

Fuck Disney too. Everything that Walt built the company to stand for has been turned to shit. Take your kids to Orlando to see Minnie turn lez, Donald Duck with an earring and Goofy humping Pluto. Bah!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.  I mistakenly took your comments as an attack on Raven and me, and I stand corrected.

No apology needed.  I should have clarified when I posted it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No apology needed.  I should have clarified when I posted it.

Take it to the pit , or get a room , love-birds.  
Just kidding -- it's good to see people straighten misunderstandings out before they start the   stuff.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
SPOILER ALERT.

See, throughout the movie you are given hint after hint that the bad deed was done by these Mohammad Atta lookalike middle eastern guys.   Then when it turns out to the be others, you get to feel bad about blaming the middle eastern guys.   Its classic guilt cinema even though the scenario in the movie:  Flight attendants and sky marshalls conspiring to do evil is about a zillion times less likely (and indeed, has NEVER happened) than islamic terrorism which happens A LOT.

Its typical hollywood bullshit trying to engineer people to be better dhimmis in this case.  Fuck that movie and its producers and distributors.

Dangit,  will the originator put spolier alert in the his freakin title. thank you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#19]
When can us A&P mechanics boycott something! We’re always portrayed as dumb grease monkeys with dirty rags hanging out of our pockets.

Just look at the mechanic from that show “Wings”!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
When can us A&P mechanics boycott something! We’re always portrayed as dumb grease monkeys with dirty rags hanging out of our pockets.

Don't forget "Fletch".  Those frenulating valves sure are tricky!  Better check the marzel vanes!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No surprise. Remember what Hollywood did to "The Sum of All Fears"? Arabs seeking a nuclear weapon to use in a terrorist attack became European white supremacists.

Oh, great.  Now you ruined The sum of all fears, too!

I didn't realize the article was a movie spoiler.  I just thought it was funny that stewardesses were mad that they could be portrayed as villians in a fictional movie.

It's okay to portray cops as bad guys.  They harass and arrest peace protesters, they are just tools of the man standing in the way of anarchy!  
Doctors can be bad guys, they make too much money.
Truck drivers can be bad guys, they are just filty, smelly red necks.
Soldiers can be bad guys, they murder babies (as opposed to abortion doctors, who are exempt from being portrayed as bad guys because they are good).
Let's see...  Basically any white, non-liberal  male can be portrayed as a bad guy.  They are all bad.  Don't even get me started on those crazy gun owning second amendment types!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget "Fletch".  Those frenulating valves sure are tricky!  Better check the marzel vanes!

There's been a recall notice on the seventh fetzer valves.

Damn!  That's right, "fetzer" valve.  Oh well, I tried to get close.  Why are they using fetzer valves anyway, the rotary phase generators on those create amblose inverse redactance, resulting in bent cannutin regulators....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Why give any money (AT ALL) to Hollyweird?

As for Jodi Foster, she was narrating some Discovery or History Channel show (Three Gorges Dam) over the weekend, with the smarmy voice inflection of the typical liberal ("although the dam will stop floods and provide power for 1/2 of China, is it worth the loss of this old village...") go hug the earth, Berkeley is great, professional or technical people are bad (I dated an attendent who also happened to be an RN, hardly the typical airhead stereotype) blah blah blah.

She needs a donkey punch from what's his name, that nutbag that was trying to impress her that is getting out (already out?) of the looney bin.

Fuck Disney too. Everything that Walt built the company to stand for has been turned to shit. Take your kids to Orlando to see Minnie turn lez, Donald Duck with an earring and Goofy humping Pluto. Bah!

I aint no Disney fan, but i have not heard anything like this before . . . .
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#25]
that was a mini-rant!

Seriously, Disney used to be synonymous with wholesome family values, if it had Mickey on it, you could pretty much rest assured that your kids were not going to have to deal with profanity or bizarre sexual behavior (or any sexual behavior, for that matter)

How times change.

Each year the line gets pushed a little further, whether it is in the parent organization (Disney movies & parks) or one of the subs (ABC, in particular)

Would Walt have approved of all the stuff Disney Inc is churning out these days? (or explaining to your kids why you must have picked bizarro day to go to the park and spend the rest of the day explaining why that man was kissing that other man)

I think not.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#26]

"Flight attendants continue to be the first line of defense on an aircraft and put their lives on the line day after day for the safety of passengers."

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SPOILER ALERT.

No surprise. Remember what Hollywood did to "The Sum of All Fears"? Arabs seeking a nuclear weapon to use in a terrorist attack became European white supremacists.

Didn't the book have Germans behind the plot to get the US and USSR to launch at one another?  Been a while since I read it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Frankly this movie is just another example of Hollywood pablum but I don't mind that the flight attendants are upset about it.

Finally, someone besides conservatives are angry about the retarded liberal agenda.

When we were at war with Germany, America made movies about killing Germans.
When we were at war with Japan, America made movies about killing Japanese

Since Vietnam (with few exceptions) America has made movies that only show the horror and inequities of war*, not any positive benefits of the outcome of war.

*Make no mistake, I realize war is hell and should be a very last resort...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SPOILER ALERT.

Lets not forget the butt-fucking gun enthusiasts got in Runaway Jury.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#30]
The Flight Attendant's Union needs to chill out.  It's a MOVIE.  We watch movies for entertainment.  Nothing says the movie must be truthful or deemed safe so as to not offend any one person in this country.  Hell, sometimes the truth hurts.  (The scene from Meet the Parents is slowly entering my mind now...)

This seems just like when the Brits got pissed after The Patriot came out.  Whatever.  It's a movie.

Quit crying, grow up, and serve me peanuts!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#31]
[Randal] I don't watch movies [/Randal]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
It's a MOVIE.  We watch movies for entertainment.  Nothing says the movie must be truthful or deemed safe so as to not offend any one person in this country.

We may watch movies for entertainment, but Hollywood is putting out its product to "spin" public opinion, which certainly entitles those of us who take umbrage at such free propaganda for the leftists to point it out.   Actually its funny to watch the leftists eat their own.  The Hollywood liberals throw the Flight Attendants under the bus; then they bitch an complain too.

Hollywood uses is influence more than you think.  People tend to follow "conventional wisdom."  

Hollywood does its damndest to insert its interpretation of what conventional wisdom should be.

Example:   A new series called "Commander in Chief," to get the masses used to a woman president.  The WRITER on the project?   A former high level HILLARY CLINTON staffer.   Tell me that's just a conicidence.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Haha If I was running an airline, it would be the in-flight video.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top