Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 1:39:54 PM EDT
Just did a little pattern test with various types of 00 buck and achieved a 3" group at 15 yards out an 18" barrel Remington 870 using Federal ammo.   Most of the groups were actually around 5-6 inches but that is still pretty freaking good at 15 yards.  I can definately recommend getting the barrel done.

By the way, how many of you guys actually know the pattern of your gun of the top of your head?......Just curious.  I must admit I tend to forget how the rest of my shotty's pattern

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just did a little pattern test with various types of 00 buck and achieved a 3" group at 15 yards out an 18" barrel Remington 870 using Federal ammo.   Most of the groups were actually around 5-6 inches but that is still pretty freaking good at 15 yards.  I can definately recommend getting the barrel done.

By the way, how many of you guys actually know the pattern of your gun of the top of your head?......Just curious.  I must admit I tend to forget how the rest of my shotty's pattern

Do you have any targets with patterns in them before the barerl was done?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]

I get "minute of looter" at 20 yards with my Benelli Super 90. Then again, its kinda hard to tell 'cause I rarely shoot less than 8 rounds into the target before stopping.

I'll never give up my Benelli Super Looter Shooter. Never!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Try it with Hornady TAP. I've had my best results with the Hornady 8 pellet or the Remington 8 pellet loads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been buying Vang's barrels for years.

Not only does it make for better patterning but, the recoil is a pussycat even with magnum loads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
My VSC-870 will plop all 9 pellets of the Kent tactical 00 into a hand sized pattern at 20 yards.  Came in pretty handy shooting those classic hotel/tango targets down at The Site (always felt bad when the wad landed on the face of the hostage though - but oh well).

To those that say "but a scattergun's strength is in the scatterin'" - think about how much effective range is added to a shotgun that groups tightly and predictably.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 Vang Comp's shotgun, a Remington 870 and Mosseberg 590A1, I personnelly preference is the 870.  Both shoots very tight patterns with several loads including: Federal LE 00 buck, Estate SWAT 00 load, and Estate Military 00 load (max load).  With the above loads, I was able to keep all 9 pellets inside a Gunsite target at 25 yards, and between 6 to 9 pellets in the vital zone.  I have yet test out the Hornady TAP buck load.

At 25 yards, chances are, I already have perform a slug select drill, but it is an extra level of confidence knowing my shotgun can perform up to 25 yards with buck shots.

I always like shotgun because of its ballastic efficiency, and do not subscribe into catching the BG with one or two of the pallets (00 buck is .32 Cal).
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
[

Do you have any targets with patterns in them before the barerl was done?

No, I wish I did....I'm sure it would make for great "before" and "after" shots
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yup,

my slugs hit point of aim at 50 yards........and at 100.  Scattergun tech sights.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My VSC-870 will plop all 9 pellets of the Kent tactical 00 into a hand sized pattern at 20 yards.  Came in pretty handy shooting those classic hotel/tango targets down at The Site (always felt bad when the wad landed on the face of the hostage though - but oh well).

To those that say "but a scattergun's strength is in the scatterin'" - think about how much effective range is added to a shotgun that groups tightly and predictably.

You and I use the same Kent loads in our Vang Comped 870s.
My exerience is similiar to yours.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

At what point does your pattern get too small? Why don't you just use slugs...or better yet a carbine if you want pinpoint accuracy?

The shotgun IS effective the way it is. In a high stress situation that extra spread will make it more likely that you won't miss the target.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Vang comp is a great mod if yo want to be able to get the best possible patterns from misc buckshot loads.

Horn TAP gives simular patterns from any scattergun though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Hans Vang is a good guy. I've never shot one of his shotguns though. He's gonna make me a 14" 870 in 1 year 9 months.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Went to shotgun camp.  Stock police 870s patterned like junk.  My Benelli was ok w/ full choke.  The VC kicked ass.  If I did it over again I would have bought the VC instead of the Benelli.  

Just my $.02

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
You can get a vang comped barrel for a Bennelli. Its a new, heavier barrel.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yes I do.  

Uploaded all the pics at Hunt - guess when they reorganized they dumped my pics - I just checked.  I posted them all here one time...

Anyway, I have all the pics right in front of me now.

My Mossberg 590, modified choke, Federal Vital Shok 00 buck, 15 yds - guess you could call it 10" pattern - 8 pellets are about 8", then there's one flyer.

3" at 15 yds - man, that sounds great.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Try it with Hornady TAP. I've had my best results with the Hornady 8 pellet or the Remington 8 pellet loads.

Hornady TAP is great.  My Marine Magnum averages around 5-6" groups at 15 yards with it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top