Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 9:27:03 AM EDT
I'm on the ropes with this one. Been wating a Garand for a long time, but those PTR's by JLD sure look nice. Is JLD one of the better HK clone makers out there? Which would you get, the Garand or the PTR. My arsenal is lacking a .308 deperately
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the Garand.

JLD rifles have some issues. So do current Springfield M1As.

Consider a DSA FAL if you don't have one already.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
GARAND!!

CMP all the way!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get the Garand.

SteyrAug,

What issues do the current crop of JLD PTR91's have?

I know there were some issues when they first came out...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Garand.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get the Garand.

SteyrAug,

There are no issues with the new ones.  I have one and it never fails.  It's great.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Garand
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get the Garand.

SteyrAug,

There are no issues with the new ones.  I have one and it never fails.  It's great.

There are STILL issues, just not as many.

The one my buddy has still won't feed all types of ammo reliably.

Trigger pack STILL isn't shelfed properly.

Still has that goofy rear peep sight.

Furniture is STILL shit, the furniture (POF or Top Notch) on the upgrade models is better than the standard.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there another 91 clone you'd recommend instead?

I've looked at the FAL, they are nice. So if it came down to it FAL or Garand then? or perhaps a different HK91 clone?

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Garand!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is there another 91 clone you'd recommend instead?

I've looked at the FAL, they are nice. So if it came down to it FAL or Garand then? or perhaps a different HK91 clone?

Sadly the JLD is the best clone out there. And it can be corrected with work.

But you'd be far better off to consider a custom build from the ground up using a JLD receiver (they are fine and not a problem) and a HK/FMP part kit for a little more money.

I've had them done them for a few arfcommers if you are interested.

I personally prefer a FAL to a Garand but I own several Garands.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll guess that HK91 parts kits and barrels will dry up here before CMP Garands do.  Get the PTR now, and make the Garand your next purchase.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get the Garand.

SteyrAug,

+1
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the Garand
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck deciding!  I'd say PTR-91 because I am trying to decide between a 7.62 AK clone and a PTR-91.  

I wanted a Garand too, but ever since Saving Private Ryan the prices seem cracked now.  Great nostalga with the Garand, but I've always wanted the G3.  The ping is cool but 20 round mags are cooler!  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a striped receiver from CMP and have DGR build it into a .308 Garand.

artar
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]
How much you looking to spend? An M14 with G.I. parts is without peer as a battle rifle.The expensive route is an LRB forged  receiver with U.S.G.I. parts.The inexpensive route is a Norinco or Polytech M14 replace the bolt with a G.I. bolt and you get an excellent all forged M14 for about 900 depending on what you pay for the rifle.Taiwanese mags are currently available for about 14 bucks and they are equal to U.S.G.I. in fit and function.M1 Garand would need to be rebarreled to .308 as it is originally 30/06.All that is required is a new barreland a block to keep people from accidentally loading a clip of 30/06 once the weapon is rebarreled to .308.No other modifications neccesary. Never cared for HK's at all,and an Fal is a good weapon but doesn't hold a candle to an M14,Queen of the Battle Rifles.  My next M14 is a Polytech that i'm putting an 18 in barrel,Smith Ent. Direct connect vortex,gas lock sight,fiberglass stock with shortened length of pull and M1 Garand buttplate.It will be only about the size of an AR but better.I intend to wipe the floor with my mouse gun shooting friends at our next get together.I'll have to contend with stouter recoil but .308 will make someone dead right the fuck now as opposed maybe their out of the fight and maybe their not,which reports from the sand box as well as Somalia have in common.Beside's ,i'm a big guy,270 lbs of MAN should be able handle an M14 like you mere mortals handle a Red Ryder.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Go with something like the PTR or an FAL.  The newest Garand's are about 50 years old---some are almost 70----and, although state of the art at the time----it is now old and dated technology---kind of like toting around a Krag during the Korean War.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How much you looking to spend? An M14 with G.I. parts is without peer as a battle rifle.The expensive route is an LRB forged  receiver with U.S.G.I. parts.The inexpensive route is a Norinco or Polytech M14 replace the bolt with a G.I. bolt and you get an excellent all forged M14 for about 900 depending on what you pay for the rifle.Taiwanese mags are currently available for about 14 bucks and they are equal to U.S.G.I. in fit and function.M1 Garand would need to be rebarreled to .308 as it is originally 30/06.All that is required is a new barreland a block to keep people from accidentally loading a clip of 30/06 once the weapon is rebarreled to .308.No other modifications neccesary. Never cared for HK's at all,and an Fal is a good weapon but doesn't hold a candle to an M14,Queen of the Battle Rifles.  My next M14 is a Polytech that i'm putting an 18 in barrel,Smith Ent. Direct connect vortex,gas lock sight,fiberglass stock with shortened length of pull and M1 Garand buttplate.It will be only about the size of an AR but better.I intend to wipe the floor with my mouse gun shooting friends at our next get together.I'll have to contend with stouter recoil but .308 will make someone dead right the fuck now as opposed maybe their out of the fight and maybe their not,which reports from the sand box as well as Somalia have in common.Beside's ,i'm a big guy,270 lbs of MAN should be able handle an M14 like you mere mortals handle a Red Ryder.

270 pounds of MAN ought to be able to handle a Garand in 30-06, instead of pussying it down to .308

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

270 pounds of MAN ought to be able to handle a Garand in 30-06, instead of pussying it down to .308

My Winchester M1Garand resents that remark she remains a 30/06 fighting machine.The original post stated he wanted a .308. That being said, I have a serious hankering for an M1 Garand Tanker that will be .308 only because from what I hear the 30/06 Tanker is difficult to get to run reliably as opposed to the same gun in .308.No idea why.As penance for pussying down a mighty M1 Garand to .308 I will cut off the buttstock shoot it one handed off the bridge of my nose and carry it hog leg style ala Gunsmoke..Maybe when my disability check comes i'll get a brace of them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm interested Steyr, I'll send you an email.

Help me out here guys, what is the difference between an M14 and a M1A that Springfield makes? They look exactly the same to me? Not trying to be stupid, I really don't know. Second question, why the 14 over the M1?

Appreciate all the help here guys
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Help me out here guys, what is the difference between an M14 and a M1A that Springfield makes? They look exactly the same to me? Not trying to be stupid, I really don't know. Second question, why the 14 over the M1?

Well first the commercial Springfield Armory that makes the M1A is NOT the same Springfield Armory that made M14s and Garands. They simply purchased the name.

M14s besides being select fire had forged receivers.

SA M1As have cast receivers. Early ones till about 1990 were made with USGI parts and aren't a bad rifle. In the early 90s they started using cast internals as USGI parts got scarce and overall quality in general seems to have dropped.

The best way to do a M1A is again a custom build. Problem is the best receiver LRB (forged) costs about $800 IIRC and a USGI parts kit done by say Fulton Armory would result in a rifle that costs about $2,500+.

Not a great option for a basic semi auto package.

It is sad Springfield currently turns out a mediocre product. There is no reason they couldn't produce a forged reciever and a rifle with the same quality as a DSA FAL. Would probably sell for around $1,500 given that USGI parts are expensive but still would be preferrable to the current options.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Springfield receivers may be cast but iv'e never heard of anyone wearing one out or of any other real systemic problems since they began making their own (forged) bolts,with the exception of some extractor issues on early SOCOMS.Forged is better than cast, BUT either will serve you well and both will last a lifetime.M1a is a trademark name owned by Springfield Armory, used on their M14 type rifles.The M14 is a refinement of the M1 Garand,it's greatest advantages are greater accuracy, higher rate of fire due to the detachable 20 rd box magazine, it's easier to mount optics and .308 surplus ammo is cheaper and more available than 30/06. To be quite honest though EVERYONE should own a Garand.The M1 Garand is accurate enough,balances better,and is relatively inexpensive. With practice a good man with a Garand can reload with blinding speed.An easy barrel change will make it .308 to take advantage of cheaper ammo.I'll take a Garand over an Fal or HK,or mouse gun every time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm rather ticked at my dad.  A few years ago an uncle of mine went to prison because of several weapons charges stemming from the NFA and 1986 ban.  Well, the ATF called my dad up and offered to give him one of my uncles's guns so that they wouldn't have to destroy it because it was legal, and valuable.  Unfortunately my dad never went to go get it, so I'm sure it was destroyed.  You guessed it, it was a genuine HK 91 in near mint condition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top