Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 4:27:53 PM EDT
Check it out.

You can view the Pyramids, Grand Canyon, Great Wall of China, your house, my house, my friend's hot mom, etc....
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTD

and yes, it's awsome.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
it's awsome.

+1.

I actually use it at work sometimes - for work-related stuff, even.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
It's cool even checking out your own neighborhood.

I showed my 80 y/o dad his house the other day. Boy was he spooked. He thought it was live-action!

There's lots of cool stuff here on Earth to check out.

Damn nosy neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IBTD

and yes, it's awsome.

+1

Been using it for like 6 months
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I use www.flashearth.com and it has three different satelite views available.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I was just doodling with google earth and I was trying to spy on mecca because I want to see what is going on there that is such a big deal.

there is some censorship going on because I can get down to about 4000' in Chaco Canyon but I can't get below 30000' on mecca.

And I imagine that we've got every square foot of mecca mapped out...but I can't get any better resolution. same thing with jerusalem.

oh well, it's not a (yet) perfect world in which we live.

still there is some disturbing censorship here. I can see my own house down to the cars in the driveway.

but I can't see where yasser arafat is buried.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I use www.flashearth.com and it has three different satelite views available.

I've marked that as well. Thanks

It's good to have as many POV's as possible.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I use it to find impact craters.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was just doodling with google earth and I was trying to spy on mecca because I want to see what is going on there that is such a big deal.

there is some censorship going on because I can get down to about 4000' in Chaco Canyon but I can't get below 30000' on mecca.

And I imagine that we've got every square foot of mecca mapped out...but I can't get any better resolution. same thing with jerusalem.

still there is some disturbing censorship here. I can see my own house down to the cars in the driveway.

It's not so much censorship as it is data availability.

Don't read too much into it - remember, google had to buy the rights to use this data from most places. Some people don't have high-resolution photography, and some won't share it, and some won't share it at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been using it for a while, love it

Used to use terraserver, google is much better

Anyone figure out how to identify the date stamp of the sat passes?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not so much censorship as it is data availability.

Don't read too much into it - remember, google had to buy the rights to use this data from most places. Some people don't have high-resolution photography, and some won't share it, and some won't share it at a reasonable price.

I chalk it up to "cultural sensitivity" Or National Security.....

Like I say, I can get my own house down to cars in the driveway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer NASA's WorldWind program. It has a shitload more POVs. Also, a lot of that imagery is not satellite photography. Most of the higher resolution urban imagery is from planes flying a grid over the area.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:16:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Check "Military" on the Keyhole list and it will show you the location of every nuclear weapons test the US has conducted, including those in MS, AK, NV, NM and CO.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top