Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 8:49:03 AM EDT
My wife may have a tubal pregnancy.  We are not sure yet.  However, the doctor has mentioned "having" to terminate the pregnancy if this is the case.  Since we are Christians, we would like to avoid this if at all possible.

Is it possible to save the unborn child if it is a tubal pregnancy?  I can't seem to find much on this...

UPDATE:

My wife had a miscarriage yesterday.  Thank you for all of your support.  We are just trying to get through this right now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
A tubal or ectopic pregnancy is very dangerous to the mother. The fetus cannot live. The egg has implanted in the fallopian tube and will not be able to grow to size. The tube will rupture and the fetus and mother will die.

Sorry to hear this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear this, but all I can recommend is take your Dr's advice, The wrong choice could be fatal

Prayers sent
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
While this is probably better answered by ARDOC I'm inclined to say no.

In an etopic pregnancy the zygote has attached to the falopian tube wall and as that is beyond their design, they will repture and risk the mother's life.

I'd be aweful suprised if the zygote can be relocated to the uteris.

(Yeah, I know I spell terribly)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear this, but all I can recommend is take your Dr's advice, The wrong choice will be fatal to the baby and without surgery also the mother.

Prayers sent

fixed it for you
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My wife may have a tubal pregnancy.  We are not sure yet.  However, the doctor has mentioned "having" to terminate the pregnancy if this is the case.  Since we are Christians, we would like to avoid this if at all possible.

Is it possible to save the unborn child if it is a tubal pregnancy?  I can't seem to find much on this...

I thought the "waiting for the other shoe to drop" www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=393033 thread you started last week was you being paranoid..I'll pray for you but there is no way to have a tubal pregnancy and yes it is dangerous for the mother
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, this was a life never intended to see the light of day.  Premature implantation cannot be moved because the placental bond cannot be reestablished.  

The fetus is not viable.  If no intervention is taken, it is a sure miscarriage at best.  At worst, you could become a widower.  This happened to my great grandfather because back then, there was no ultrasonic imaging nor advanced OB-GYN science.

Talk to a minister with experience in this field.  Or find a doctor who is pro-life.  There are many out there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Slash without knowing the specifics about your wife its hard to really say anything.  Tubal or ectopic pregnancies are life threatening conditions and the fetus has no chance to survive.  So there is no religious issue here.  The main concern is the health of your wife.  They will follow beta levels for a few days if you meet the criteria I would suggest that you take the Metotrexate therapy which will cure her without surgery.

However, if the ectopic has reached a certain point surgery will be indicated.  Due to advances she may only require a laparscopy but she also may need to be opened up.

Also this will increase your chance of having another ectopic pregnancy.

IM if you have any questions.

Take home message is that a tubal pregnancy is very DANGEROUS and can allow the woman to bleed out internally.

If she has any sudden pain or feels lightheaded, you need to take to the ER like now.

There is also a chance its a good pregnancy, but again without knowing specifics its hard to tell.

Regardless good luck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Take home message is that a tubal pregnancy is very DANGEROUS and can allow the woman to bleed out internally.

If she has any sudden pain or feels lightheaded, you need to take to the ER like now.

A good lesson for all.  Sudden onset abdominal pain in a woman of childbearing age is an emergency, and should be treated as such.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#10]
This is why I will always fight anti-abortion legislation that does not include an exception for the life and health of the mother.  Sometimes things just go wrong and have to be corrected with medical intervention.  Sometimes that includes having to terminate the pregnancy.

Best of luck to your wife and your family.  If your wife's health is in danger, I would choose to abort without hesitation.  It is unfortunate, but risking her life and then almost certainly losing the baby anyway is not worth it.  Then you can try again.

It's your family, though, so do whatever is in your hearts.  Best wishes ever how it turns out!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#11]
THIS IS NOT AN ABORTION. THERE IS NO ISSUE HERE.

An ectopic will lead to the death of the fetus.  Sometimes the death of the mother.  There is no baby at the end of this tunnel only death.  There is no abortion.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A tubal or ectopic pregnancy is very dangerous to the mother. The fetus cannot live. The egg has implanted in the fallopian tube and will not be able to grow to size. The tube will rupture and the fetus and mother will die.

Sorry to hear this.

That is spot on.  My wife damn near died due to an ectopic pregnancy and the DUMB FUCK "get me a slurpy" "doctor" we kept getting at the Naval Hospital at Camp LeJeune.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been through this... TWICE.  Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done.  I wanted so badly for them to try to move the baby to my uterus and try to save it, but it just can't be done.  This surgery should not be thought of as an abortion, as there is no viable embryo now, but a medical condition that could kill your wife if left untreated.

My heart breaks for you and your wife, as I know only too well the pain that you are feeling.  God bless you both.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
THIS IS NOT AN ABORTION. THERE IS NO ISSUE HERE.

An ectopic will lead to the death of the fetus.  Sometimes the death of the mother.  There is no baby at the end of this tunnel only death.  There is no abortion.  

Thank you.  That is the answer I needed, I just needed to know what the moral issues were...exactly.

If there is no hope for the unborn child, then there is no moral issue.

In any case she goes back in on Wed., we'll know more then.

Thanks to all...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Mrs. Slash-5 here, being too lazy to sign in as myself and then find this thread again.  Just for the record, there is no evidence at this point that this is a tubal pregnancy.  We know nothing, other than that the baby could not be seen via ultrasound at approximately 5 weeks and 5 days, which is often too early to see it anyway.  We also know that I'm spotting, slightly crampy, and my hCG hormone level was at 270 yesterday.  Was that TMI?

Anyway, for now, we really don't know anything, but a tubal pregnancy one of many possibilities, so we wanted to get our questions and moral dilemmas settled before having to face something like that.  Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge and insight, and for all of your support.  I go for another hCG blood test tomorrow, and it's supposed to double every 48 hours.  We'll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#17]
It happened to Mrs pale_pony a few years ago...tube ruptured and we almost lost her.

We can show you how to rip through $10k in about an hour at the hospital.

Prayers incoming.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#18]
May god be with you Mrs. Slash-5. My wife and I went through an IUD pregnancy two years ago. We couldn't make the decision to abort until it was almost to late. My wife was getting sick and we had too.  Hardest dam decision we ever had to make. I don't know much about a tubal pregnancy but I assume its similar. Good luck and take care.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]
In OB, the mother will always come first especially in a case like this.   But there are other conditions, some special heart ones that will be fatal to the mother if the pregnancy continues.

Ms Slash good luck to you and many of these are false alarms and other times life threatening.  Keep your hubby on a short leash and go to the hospital if there is any change in symptoms.

Also I want to emphasize that most of the time it is nothing you or what Slash did that caused this to happen.  Yes there are some infections and medical conditions that cause greater occurrance of this but most of the time its just because.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Also I want to emphasize that most of the time it is nothing you or what Slash did that caused this to happen.  Yes there are some infections and medical conditions that cause greater occurrance of this but most of the time its just because.  

Yes, I saw that online.  She has never had any infections of that sort (she waited untill marriage for sex), so who knows.

We are hoping and praying for the best here...

Thanks for all of the help and support.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
ARDOC said that an ectopic pregnancy can result in more ectopic pregnancies down the road . . . my own mother's first pregnancy was an ectopic, the foetus aborted naturally.

She went on to have 7 more children with ZERO complications.

I am number 4 of that 7.

It will be difficult, but it will not end the world.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#22]
+1 to what operatorerror said. Sorry to hear this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Slash without knowing the specifics about your wife its hard to really say anything.  Tubal or ectopic pregnancies are life threatening conditions and the fetus has no chance to survive.  So there is no religious issue here.  The main concern is the health of your wife.  They will follow beta levels for a few days if you meet the criteria I would suggest that you take the Metotrexate therapy which will cure her without surgery.

However, if the ectopic has reached a certain point surgery will be indicated.  Due to advances she may only require a laparscopy but she also may need to be opened up.

Also this will increase your chance of having another ectopic pregnancy.

IM if you have any questions.

There is also a chance its a good pregnancy, but again without knowing specifics its hard to tell.

Regardless good luck.

What he said.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#24]
updated on first post.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:52:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Awww Damn
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:18:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

UPDATE:

My wife had a miscarriage yesterday.  Thank you for all of your support.  We are just trying to get through this right now.

Just as an FYI, my wife started bleeding not long after we started trying.  Doctor informed us that she was pregnant and having a miscarriage.  He performed a D&C to clean out the miscarriage, but a two days later her HCG was still going up.  Turned out the doc was wrong, it was an ectopic pregnancy, so he ended up going back in (laproscopic) and found the pregnancy in the tube and removed it.  All turned out well in the long run and we now have a 15 month old, but two surgeries in a week was needless to say a stressful time.

Anyway, my point is, don't necessarily conclude that it is a miscarriage until HCG levels indicate so.  Make sure you follow up with the HCG to make sure it is going down afterwards.  If it does not, it's a pretty good sign there's an ectopic pregnancy there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

UPDATE:

Just as an FYI, my wife started bleeding not long after we started trying.  Doctor informed us that she was pregnant and having a miscarriage.  He performed a D&C to clean out the miscarriage, but a two days later her HCG was still going up.  Turned out the doc was wrong, it was an ectopic pregnancy, so he ended up going back in (laproscopic) and found the pregnancy in the tube and removed it.  All turned out well in the long run and we now have a 15 month old, but two surgeries in a week was needless to say a stressful time.

Anyway, my point is, don't necessarily conclude that it is a miscarriage until HCG levels indicate so.  Make sure you follow up with the HCG to make sure it is going down afterwards.  If it does not, it's a pretty good sign there's an ectopic pregnancy there.

Her HGC levels are going down.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Slash, sorry to hear that.  My wife had a miscarriage a couple years ago.  It was tough for both of us.  I still cry sometimes when I think of the baby we never got to see.  I just remember him or her and look forward to the day we will see her in heaven.  I always picture her (don't know if it was a boy or girl but I believe it was a girl) walking the streets of heaven with our grandparents hearing stories about when we were kids.  I still tear up, but it makes me smile.  

I saw this picture and remember that Jesus probably held my baby in his arms when she got there.  Hope it helps.

How come my picture didn't work?  I did what the directions say and it didn't work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

UPDATE:

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

UPDATE:

Very sorry to hear that Slash. My prayers sent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Heartfelt prayers sent
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Prayers sent.

I am terribly sorry for your loss.  Trust in God and his way, and your faith will get you through this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

UPDATE:

Sorry to hear that.

My wife had a miscarriage (our 1st pregnancy) a few months ago at 6 weeks.  We're Christians, and it has been hard.  IM me if you want to talk.

A note on the original question -  In tubal pregnancy cases, most of the time the baby has died by the time the woman feels any pain.  If the baby is living, there are some DRs that will attempt to remove it from the fallopian tube and perform a uterine implant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top