Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 7:38:23 PM EDT

I hope this isn't just off color repro...

These colors actually look like they work. Unlike the "peppermint" colors...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Just looks like after a few washings the too dark areas nolonger are too dark.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of the 'deployed' and 'action' photos of ACU that I have seen look FAR better than the original press photos. I think I remember hearing something about some color/hue changes, but am not sure.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just looks like after a few washings the too dark areas nolonger are too dark.

No, the Tan and Brown are darker in this iteration...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
To all the cirtics that preach so vehemently against the magwell hold because it causes failures........

Heres looking at you....................
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#6]
that mag looks like one of those black steel mags. HK maybe? Also, they're still using the fixed carry handle with the old style buttstock?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:14:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I get the feeling those are civilians in that pic.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
To all the cirtics that preach so vehemently against the magwell hold because it causes failures........

Hey, if you enjoy getting your hand burned, keep on doing it. I used to hold it like that for a better "grip" on the rifle... until I did some shooting under the blaring sun, rapid fire, about 500rd within 15-20 min. YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWCH!!!!

Then I learned WHY they used plastic handguards, plastic grip, and a plastic buttstock. Anything that is metal, coated black, and in contact with the barrel area will, I REPEAT, WILL get hot from firing and/or the sun. That includes the steel mags! YOWZA! Plastic is your friend.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#9]
ACU looks a lot better and is much better camo after it has been washed a few times.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, if you enjoy getting your hand burned, keep on doing it. I used to hold it like that for a better "grip" on the rifle... until I did some shooting under the blaring sun, rapid fire, about 500rd within 15-20 min. YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWCH!!!!

Then I learned WHY they used plastic handguards, plastic grip, and a plastic buttstock. Anything that is metal, coated black, and in contact with the barrel area will, I REPEAT, WILL get hot from firing and/or the sun. That includes the steel mags! YOWZA! Plastic is your friend.

No problem here in the Florida sun shooting NFA just like that.

Guess they just grow em tougher in the South.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Also, they're still using the fixed carry handle with the old style buttstock?

you use whatcha got! still a lotta m4's in various to/e's
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I get the feeling those are civilians in that pic.

looks like iraq to me but them acu's DO look mighty clean!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:18:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:23:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some of the 'deployed' and 'action' photos of ACU that I have seen look FAR better than the original press photos. I think I remember hearing something about some color/hue changes, but am not sure.

They are the same as ever. Some photos gather light better than others and give a good represetation. The uniform is the same.

So, is this a good representation, or the pics with greener/grayer tint?

The colors on the DCU vest cover seem nominal, so I hope they really do look like this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are the same as ever. Some photos gather light better than others and give a good represetation. The uniform is the same.

So, is this a good representation, or the pics with greener/grayer tint?

The colors on the DCU vest cover seem nominal, so I hope they really do look like this.

It's a very good representation of what they look like, I just got a set on Monday and they feel like they are a lighter weight compared to the BDU's currently issued. And they're comfortable as hell as well. The color job I feel is perfect for the uniforms they are meant to replace
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#17]
They look good everywhere, even in the woods. TheArmy did an outstanding job on it and it does serve well in multiple enviros.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#18]
The new pattern is growing on me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They look good everywhere, even in the woods. TheArmy did an outstanding job on it and it does serve well in multiple enviros.

tinypic.com/e5h9vs.jpg

Seems kinda strange to have all that camo and face paint and not have a subdued flag patch

The ACU does seem much better in these pics though. Perhaps a few times in the wash is all it needs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The new pattern is growing on me.

Yea me too. When I first saw those pictures of the ACU when they first came out, I thought they looked just plain stupid. I actually kindof like them now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]
More pics.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look closer or zoom in, it's a detachable carry handle.  Lot's of old style CAR buttstocks still around too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look closer or zoom in, it's a detachable carry handle.  Lot's of old style CAR buttstocks still around too.

Looks like a Vortex on the muzzie as well
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the pic WildBoar, finally get to see the ACU in the woods, I like it
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I think I swiped it from another member but cant remember who. It may have been Lumpy.

I actually have a folder in My Pictures of all the ACU in action I can find. I am likeing it more and more.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#26]
if there close enough to see that flag hes gonna be lighting them up anyways. Ya i think that camo is very effective!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I am wondering if they started to paint vehicles with the pattern yet, or it they ever will.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Is it just me, or does it seem to "change color" depending on it's surroundings?  That one urban pic with the guy in the doorway and the other guy on the stairs really has two different contrasts.  The woods/jungle pic seems to bring out the green as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Is it just me, or does it seem to "change color" depending on it's surroundings?  That one urban pic with the guy in the doorway and the other guy on the stairs really has two different contrasts.  The woods/jungle pic seems to bring out the green as well.

That's what it was designed to do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You are exactly right...I was noticing that as well...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are exactly right...I was noticing that as well...

Yah! Cool AIN'T it
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what it was designed to do.

+1 the colors or hues selected were designed to sort of just blend without drawing attention. They are pretty neutral colors. Its designed so that the eyes soak it up as the surroundings. Not 100% o course but it does trick the mind a bit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#33]
That forest picture is amazing...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I heard from a bunch of .mil types that they changed the color to add a little more green than the original proposal.  Me likey.  Here's some 82nd airborne in Iraq.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That gets hot as hell, let me tell you.  You learn to not do that pretty fast when you're not on a range
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I swiped it from another member but cant remember who. It may have been Lumpy.

I actually have a folder in My Pictures of all the ACU in action I can find. I am likeing it more and more.

Please post them then!

Or I will give you my e-mail; I'd like an ACU albom such as you have...

but I'm sure otheres here wouuld also appreciate them...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/328093.JPG

I hope this isn't just off color repro...

These colors actually look like they work. Unlike the "peppermint" colors...

Colors are right (reference the guy on duty in the next office)....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

tinypic.com/e5h9vs.jpg

Any high res of this pic? A little bigger and it would be an awesome wallpaper!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
ACU looks a lot better and is much better camo after it has been washed a few times.

Just like the woodland BDUs. Those things are way bright when they're new. They don't quite break in until you've dragged them through mud/dirt and washed them a couple of times.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

tinypic.com/e5h9vs.jpg

Yep. Now they just need to do something about those blackity-black rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top