Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 6:00:57 AM EDT
I live in an East Texas town, and our property, where I go to shoot and hunt, is about 17 miles away to the east.
I have a sort of pole barn on the property, big enough for two large tractors. (it has one stall occupied by such a tractor... the tractor is gonna be sold)
I have two young men "leasing" the property, and that's where their deer camp is as well. This location is accessible from the road with a two wheel drive automobile.
We also own two "daily drivers", a 2000 Buick and a 2004 Yukon. I'd like to be able to use one of these daily drivers to get to the farm, then use the jeep to get around once I get there.
My two lessees have advised me that there is some pilferage of the stuff they leave out going on; and I'm not surprised; small scale theft has always been a problem.
Finally, I'm contemplating buying one or two four wheelers... any storage solution would need to apply to these, too.

Here's my question:
What's the best way to store the jeep?
I thought of building a metal frame inside the pole barn... so the thief would have to have a cutting torch to get the jeep out.
I also thought of removing some vital part of the jeep each time I leave.
And then I guess I could just chain it to something.

Any bright (er) ideas?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are sure it is just theft, and not vandelizm, then the locked area should be okay. But, if they are smart, and it is left unattended for a long time, a set of bolt cutters will get them in.
There are a lot of ways to disable a vehicle, but there are a lot of small things that can be stolen from it as well. In addtion, if they are drunk or get pissed off, they can do a lot of damage as well.
If you just want to disable it, take an expensive part that is needed to start the car. If it is an old jeep, then that makes it harder to do, so I would consider some hidden kill switches. For instance, one under the carpet that gives you power in the start postion, a momentary would be best here. Then an on/off for power while in run.
If it is a newer jeep with efi, then take out the fuses and relays for the fuel pump, and maybe even remove the coil packs.
Also consider an alarm to the local pd if that is a possiblity.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#2]
At my place.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you cosidered digging a moat?  Most people overlook the thief discouraging capabilities of a decent sized moat stocked with average size crocodiles.  

If you're worried about someone starting it up and driving it away, put a toggle switch on the ignition and hide it.  If you're worried about someone towing it away, upgrade the building.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks 4 the replies, guys.
I really like the moat idea, but I think I'll use water mocassins instead of crocodiles.
It's possible that I could find some alligators, but I know I have a good supply of the snakes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
At my place.

My place is better.  Here in SoCal we have a dry heat, not much rain and no snow.  I'll even run it every few days to keep the seals in good shape and the gas in the tank fresh.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Under a Land Cruiser. BWA-hahaha.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By maximumbob_tx asks:

"What's a good way to store a jeep?"

Why, in the original box it came in!

Duh!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
A local self-storage unit big enough to fit your Jeep in would be the safest place, IMO. Lockable door & all that. Vandalism would be worse than theft, IMO, if you left it in your barn.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever you do, don't store it in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top