Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 5:10:05 PM EDT
I don't want to lose my news with the next hurricane, so which is it?

ETA: I don't expect the dish to work, or stay adjusted in a hurricane! iT'S The weeks of no cable after that suck. I have a battery operated TV....one channel sucks., and most of the locals went down with the storm. I have a radio, ect., ect,..........

WHICH IS BETTER IN YOUR OPINION?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, here are three problems...

Number one.  In a Hurricane, you'll usually have heavy downpours, which will most likely knock out your ability to receive the satellite signal for a while.

Number two.  Hurricanes have very strong winds.  I doubt your dishes mount will be able to survive, so your dish will probably end up in another county.  

Number three, you'll need electricity to watch your TV whether or not you have a dish, or cable.

That said, I know dish and direct are both cheaper than cable right now.  So either one is good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Direct TV.

It is what I have
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Satellite TV in a hurricane. Now thats funny. Get a battery operated radio.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had direct tv for more than 10 years and have no problems.  Last year I kept getting a flyer in my CC bill stating an all free direct tv (3 receiver) system.  I called and bitched and they upgraded my system and gave me another receiver for free.

+1 for direct tv
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Get a battery powered satelite radio, you can listen to Fox News.  I have dish, no complaints, at the time I got it because Direct did not offer local chanels in my area.  That has been fixed so either one would be good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Dish.
I get a discount.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been a long time subcriber to DirectTV, and now with Tivo.  No complaints.  Fantastic picture quality, decent digital sound depending on the coding signal from the source.

I have no means to compare it to the Dish Network as 'Dish was just a faint mentioning back when I went with DTV 5 years ago, though I will say I have noticed that Dish Network subscribers seem quite satisfied as well.

I will say this...given the choice, I'd never do cable again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Dish, so you get the Military Channel.

( You may with DirecTV, Im not sure, but we did switch several years back to recieve the Military Channel)
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dish, so you get the Military Channel.

( You may with DirecTV, Im not sure, but we did switch several years back to recieve the Military Channel)

DirecTV carries the Military Channel.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#11]
NFL Sunday Ticket on Direct TV makes it a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, here are three problems...

Number one.  In a Hurricane, you'll usually have heavy downpours, which will most likely knock out your ability to receive the satellite signal for a while.

I went without cable for more than a week......not woried about during the storm.

Number two.  Hurricanes have very strong winds.  I doubt your dishes mount will be able to survive, so your dish will probably end up in another county.  

I've put up my own sytstem before when I burned cards, I can adjust it.

Number three, you'll need electricity to watch your TV whether or not you have a dish, or cable.

Generator.

That said, I know dish and direct are both cheaper than cable right now.  So either one is good.

One has to be better than the other.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You must be posting in the wrong thread....
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must be posting in the wrong thread....

Quoted:
I don't want to lose my news with the next hurricane, so which is it?

Nope, I got the right one.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]
DirecTV! no annual contract and NFL sunday ticket.
I had cable for years and I hated the service(Charter), I got tired of waiting for HD, their excuses got old and horrible service.
I made the switch and I'm never going back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top