Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 7:09:00 PM EDT
Philosophical question, is it better to "do" than to "have"? For example....would you rather be the guy with all the "stuff" you ever wanted, who stays home all the time and never sees the world.....or the guy who may not have a fancy car and a plasma TV, who has a modest gun collection, but has been everywhere and done everything?

I find myself in more of the "doer" camp.....whenever someone asks me "what have you always wanted" the answer is usually an experience (ex. a trip to Yellowstone, Alaska etc.) rather than a "thing" (ex. the plasma TV).

What say you?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You're bad for the economy. Go out and buy more stuff.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Philosophical question, is it better to "do" than to "have"? For example....would you rather be the guy with all the "stuff" you ever wanted, who stays home all the time and never sees the world.....or the guy who may not have a fancy car and a plasma TV, who has a modest gun collection, but has been everywhere and done everything?

I find myself in more of the "doer" camp.....whenever someone asks me "what have you always wanted" the answer is usually an experience (ex. a trip to Yellowstone, Alaska etc.) rather than a "thing" (ex. the plasma TV).

What say you?

Do'er here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]

My memory is incredibly bad, so I'd rather have stuff than do things.

What's the point in going on some cool trip if I am just going to forget about it a few months later?  

I'm not entirely joking - my memory is sometimes ridiculously bad.  On several occasions, I have spent about a week of time working on a particular problem (like a tricky statistical analysis), just to later discover notes that showed I had already spent a week the month before doing the EXACT same thing.  A week of my life, flushed down the toilet
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Whatever floats your boat.

Thare is no one answer for all ... basically, if your happy doing things, then DO IT! If you're happy just collecting things, then good for you.

Life is too short to worry about what other people think YOU should do.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I would rather buy as new gun or ATV than take a trip somewhere
I just hate to spend   big money on anything that does not have at least some value down the road
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a doer.  Everything that I've had that has been somewhat important to me, mind you - I've never really had anything valuable - just sentimental [like my Great Grandmother's tea cups] my kids broke.  So with that said, I would like to get out and do as much things as possible and experience as much out of life I can.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done it all and don't have a damn thing. Not really. Do both.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Doing is OK but in the end "things" guns in particular, keep on giving. They don't fade as fast as my memory's and in a way guns or things do produce there own memories. Some trips let me down and unlike a gun that you can sell if you I do not like it, I could not sell my bad memory of the trip. Very fun to think about.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
You buy furniture.  You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life.  Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled.  Then the right set of dishes.  Then the perfect bed.  The drapes.  The rug.  Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You're bad for the economy. Go out and buy more stuff.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope to be more of a "doer" when I have more time.  I'd love to go do more hiking and camping and take up scuba and rock climbing and white water rafting and go on some serious road trips and see more live music and theater and a thousand other fucking things but I can never seem to string together two days in a row where I don't have something that HAS to be done.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I most of the awesome things I have done become memories of cool/not cool.  The Yes concert?  Awesome.  Hiking in the Appalachians?  Very cool.  The time I wenty shooting and my tire popped?  Not cool.  I'm bad with details, so for me, solid objects carry more weight.  If all I remeber from an experience was whether it was fun/interesting/intense/useful or not, it is not as good as having something tangible.  The best times of my life are the ones I can't remember, but objects are always there until i lose or sell them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, my first double post!  Within memory....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Do in order to have, have in order to do.

Make your life compliment itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top