Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 2:28:30 PM EDT
My homepage is stuck on (System32/msblank) and won't change..I have tried to delete some things and whatever, cannot get my homepage to stick on what I put it on. Also, other websites are loading starngely, sometimes you have to refresh like crazy?? Help? Whats the cure or whats wrong?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Download and run Ad-Aware SE, which will clean that right up.

For a longer term fix, use the Firefox web browser from www.mozilla.org instead of Internet Explorer.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, sounds like you got a spyware or browser hi-jack bug.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
stop going to sketchy pr0n sites
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
stop going to sketchy pr0n sites

Actually, I think I picked it up on a liberal talk board 2 nights ago. This is when the problem started. I was kicking some liberal's butt about the war in Iraq...and then thats when things went crazy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Downloaded the SE..it picked some things and deleted them. Just tried to get my homepage back...nope. Even re-started the computer..nope. It won't let me put ARfcom as my homepage.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Try a piece of software called Hijack This, then use Ad-Aware, re-boot, then run Ad-Aware again. should be ok unless you picked up a worm.

edited for spelling..
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]
You have a Trojan.Run hijack and then post the results.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You have a Trojan.Run hijack and then post the results.

How do I rid myself of this beast?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#9]
hijack this

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How do I rid myself of this beast?

Buy a Macintosh
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Hijack this isn't the most user friendly program on the planet, that's why you should post the results of the scan and someone here should be able to decipher it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I still cannot change my homepage and some of my favorite websites won't load properly. Any other suggestions? I did the SE scan and also the hijack scan...don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Help guys????
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Can you backup your files and reinstall the OS?
It's a pain but it's sure to fix the problem.

rereading your post, it sounds like your problem is only in your web browser, is this correct?

What happens when you use another browser?

Does Firefox have the same errors as IE (internet explorer)? You should be using Firefox IMO.

You may just need to throw away the temprary files for your web browser (not just cookies). On the mac I's say 'trash the prefrence files', not sure what the equal on the PC is.

If all else fails, reinstall the OS and never start up IE, in fact, remove it during the installation. Then use only firefox.
Or get a used Mac G4 tower for $400 for web browsing and never have to worry about viruses again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
You may have a variant of the Cool Web Search trojan.

Run the CWShredder.exe and it will find and remove it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#15]
xblock scroll down and click download

trendmicro antispyware
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Find out which process this adware is using and find the path for the file it is using then boot into safe mode and delete it from there.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Hijack this is NOT for 'non-tech savvy types'

use cw shredder

and DL

Microsoft's anti spyware tool. it will also reset your browser settings.

Then dump internet explored and DL
Opera

opera.com
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#18]
This happened to me twice,  the only way I found to get rid of it once and for all was to reinstall Windows.

Then, stop using internet explorer to surf the web.  Firefox is a much safer program.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Switch to Linux as an OS or at least start using Firefox web browser.
www.getfirefox.com

Until then get
Ad-Aware
Spybot Seach and Destroy
Hijack This
Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Beta)

Run them all and keep them installed and updated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top