Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 6:05:35 AM EDT
So I got an iPod for my wife to use while running, and now a friend says I can only download music obtained thru itunes, and that the 2000 songs on my computer are not useable.  Is this true? If so, I won't even unwrap the iPod.  Good alternatives??

thanks!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a Sandisk 1 GB flash player, and love it.  No moving parts to break or skip, and it actually does get around 15 hours off of one AAA battery.  

And I don't have to deal with iTunes, or try to find a stupid hack around it.  .
Plug it in and it's like a drive, just drag and drop music on it.  Most of the others support more formats too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You can download iTunes for free on Apple's website. Then you can import the songs you already have into iTunes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Not true.  The iPod will play MP3 and several other formats.  Check the Apple site for specifics.  I use the iTunes software both to rip music from my CDs, and also to purchase music from Apple.  Open the box and enjoy your new iPod.  They're great!

And I'm sure there will be other opinions from those who don't like iTunes, but it works for me.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Not true. You have to use iTunes to load the songs onto your iPod, but you can put all of your existing MP3s into your iTunes library.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Free iTunes 5.0.1 download.
www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Your friend is nuts. You can import any Mp3 file to itunes. The only format which i have found that wont play in i tunes is sony's OMD format for sonic stage. And sonic stage wont convert it for you. you have to burn it to disc and then import the cd in order play in itunes or your ipod.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Your friend is nuts. You can import any Mp3 file to itunes. The only format which i have found that wont play in i tunes is sony's OMD format for sonic stage. And sonic stage wont convert it for you. you have to burn it to disc and then import the cd in order play in itunes or your ipod.

how do you import a CD into ipod? I've tried several times to do it with no luck.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how do you import a CD into ipod? I've tried several times to do it with no luck.

Use iTunes to rip it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You rip the music off the CD into iTunes and then upload the iPod.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You rip the music off the CD into iTunes and then upload the iPod.

I'm an old fart, I'm going to need some more specific instructions than that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the good news!!  Momma's going to be happy.   Hey, while we're hera, anyone want to list their favorite podcasts?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Load the CD into the computer. Hit the "Import CD" button in the upper right hand corner in iTunes.

Then you can right click on each song and convert it to mp3.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So I got an iPod for my wife to use while running, and now a friend says I can only download music obtained thru itunes, and that the 2000 songs on my computer are not useable.  Is this true? If so, I won't even unwrap the iPod.  Good alternatives??

thanks!

BS. you can download songs from Limewire and store them on your hard drive. Then, install the Itunes and simply import those songs on your harddrive to the Itunes library.

File->Add Files to Library--> then select the folder where your songs are stored, highlight them, and send them right into iTunes' library.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well as long as the 2000 songs on your computer are MP3s, there is no problem.

Your friend is just repeating some nonsense he heard, without bothering to verify it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top