Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2005 12:40:21 AM EDT
I found some Kraftmaid kitchen cabinets that I love called the Venecia series. I am about to start building a new house, and I want these cabinets. Home Depot does not have info on them yet since they are fairly new. So, I figure with all of these people here, some one has to deal with them. I need to get an idea of price on them to see if they are affordable. Also, if you know of another cabinet company that has modern styled cabinets like these, please point me in the right direction.  I really like the High gloss black doors. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:01:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Crapmaid makes some of the worse cabinets i have ever seen.  They look like they were made by a 6th grade shop class.  They may look nice on the outside, but there really built like shit.  I would not put them in my house, nor would i put any cabinet from home depot in my house.  Do a search on google for Knight Kitchens in Vermount.  I highly recommend them.

Matt
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:21:38 AM EDT
[#2]
We had Home Depot design a layout with Kraft Maid cabinets from my measurements.  Our kitchen isn't very large & the guy was able to utilize every square inch available.  The fit and quality is good and we are very satisfied with the result.  We selected Hickory in Shaker style for our country home.
Kraft Maid has many different sizes & shapes available to fit your space.

We chose 30" tall cabinets.  They extend all the way to the ceiling and provide a significantly larger amount of storage space.  We also got a set of large drawers for one of the base cabinets.

We installed the cabinets ourselves and only hired out the custom counter tops.  6yrs ago we had less than $12,000 into an entire kitchen remodel that included new appliances.

I recall you were considering stone counter tops, ask that company who they recommend.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I've hung maybe a 1,000 or more Kraftmade cabinets.  I like them.  They are an excellent cabinet for the money.   The cost more 10%-20% more than lumber yard grade cabinets but have better boxes,thicker shelves,better hardware the drawer box is better built etc.  

Do not get them from Home Depot, 2 reasons.  1, I used to do kithen instals for them.  Every job I did had at least one major problem, ie not all the cabinets,no counter top ordered,did not fit.  Most remodels had more work than they had charged the customer for, etc.  2. The same cabinet from HD will have the older, cheaper door hinge and drawer slide and it will cost the same as from a cabinet shop.   Find a quality cabinet shop in your area and use them.

There are other good cabinet shops out there.  The cost difference between the more customs manufactoreres and Kraftmaid will shrink as the price climbs.  KM tends to charge more proportionatly than other companies.   Kraftmaid builds a huge number of cabinets and does screw up.  They also have a basic FU attitude when they do. ( They local shop I use has just had to eat the better part of 2 kitchens,1 I installed, due to a bad finsish on the cabinets.  A Muslin on Maple finish.)

If you arelooking for a qaulity cabinet,shop around there are a number of good ones.  My favorite,Mauser, out of Indiana. I mean what more can a gun guy want?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Crapmaid makes some of the worse cabinets i have ever seen.  They look like they were made by a 6th grade shop class.  They may look nice on the outside, but there really built like shit.  I would not put them in my house, nor would i put any cabinet from home depot in my house.  Do a search on google for Knight Kitchens in Vermount.  I highly recommend them.

Matt

Ive seen worse. Really, if you want nice cabinets - Clive Christian. But they dont hold the silverware any better.

Kraftmaid arent bad for the money, but Firedog and Rusk are right - avoid the big boxes. Ask around, you may be surprised at what local shops can do.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd be amazed if you couldn't do better for the same amount of money.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Small cabinet shops can offer you more personalized service, but you will usually pay more. If you can find    a similar price go for it, the difference is small cabinet shop designers do not have to put up with as many distractions and additional duties placed on a kitchen designer at Home Depot, so they will have more time to put into your design to get it right, and have more time to help oversee project after it has started. (If you get a design done at Depot, count how many times the designer had to answer the phone, tell customers where the bathroom is, answer questions from customers in plumbing, etc). Home Depot does sell excellent cabinets though, if you go with them you have the ability to use financing options that you won't with a small cabinet shop, just make sure you take a very active role in your project. Home Depot subs out all of their installs, and the major problem is coordination/communication between installer, plumber, ctop guy, flooring, tile, tearout, etc. They all have different schedules and different jobs to work on, so the lead time between each step is the killer. If you go with Kraftmaid from Home Depot, make sure you get their upgraded box construction, it will have plywood sides and hanging rails. Stay as far away from particle board (engineered wood is the term cabinet manufacturers use) as you can. Yes the stuff holds up just fine in a lab under controlled conditions, but plywood is stronger in the long run, and screws/nails pull out of particle board eventually, with no easy way to repair. Either way, a kitchen is a huge investment that generally offers an excellent return when you sell the house. Make sure you are happy with the design/layout, and double check everything. Oh, and be prepared to be miserable and wash dishes in your bathtub. A GOOD kitchen remodel is very stressful, I work in the kitchen business and you would not believe how many kitchens go perfectly with the client still complaining that their kitchen was in pieces for 3 weeks. It has to look worse before it gets better.......
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a Architect and have used these cabinets in both commercial and residential applications.
Not the best constructed cabinet, but for the money... an excellent value.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Really, if you want nice cabinets - Clive Christian.

Imagine pulling a can of SpaghettiO's out of that puppy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top