Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 10:30:30 PM EDT
Okay.  I need some help here.

After my dad died, I ended up with his Zippo. He had this thing since before I was born. Carried it every day that it wasn't out of fuel, up until about a year before he passed, when the hinge and spring both broke.

Do any of you folks know of anyone (besides Zippo) that can repair these? Or any recommendations of another type of repair place I might try that could fix the small hinge?

I called Zippo, and they said they'd be happy to replace the spring and the bottom shell of the lighter that has the broken hinge pieces, if I would send all the pieces.

I'd really rather have the original shell, over a new one. I am perfectly resigned to keeping this thing put away as it is, as a keepsake, but i'd really like to have it repaired, if possible.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
nevermind
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#2]
They built it.  Let them fix it.  It's free sans shipping.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have sent my Zippo back a couple of times.............I always get the same one back fixed
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have sent my Zippo back a couple of times.............I always get the same one back fixed

What was wrong with yours, if I may ask?

I want this to stay as original as possible.  If there's a chance I might not get it back 100%, albeit repaired, then I won't bother.  The person I talked to seemed to want to change the outer shell out.

I dunno.  I should likely leave it alone.  I'd just like to see it work again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Zippo WONT replace your shell.  They will repair your hinge/spring and anything else that is wrong with the lighter but  RETURN your SHELL as they received it.  Zippo Guarentees ALL OF THEIR LIGHTERS as far as working components go they do not guarentee finish on the shells.  ERGO send them your broken lighter and it will be returned to you as it is now with the original shell but in new working condition.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I suppose i'llgive it a shot then, guys.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was wrong with yours, if I may ask?

I want this to stay as original as possible.  If there's a chance I might not get it back 100%, albeit repaired, then I won't bother.  The person I talked to seemed to want to change the outer shell out.

I dunno.  I should likely leave it alone.  I'd just like to see it work again.

I have broke the hinge on my Nimitz Zippo, and it has 20+ years of use on it and it shows extreme wear.   It always comes back with a new hinge..........which reminds me I should send it in again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top