Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2005 2:14:15 AM EDT
I'm going to Makati for a week to see my filipina girlfriend.  So far, we only have plans to goto Tagatay and Subic Bay for a night....the rest of the time at the Makati Mandarin Oriental Hotel.  What other places are a must see for a first time tourist to the Philippines?

My gf asked if I wanted to go shooting, she's never tried it before but she's interested in learning.  Are there any gun ranges that rent handguns in the Metro Manila area?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm Never did the tourist thing. I hear that  Angels is a nice place to spend the day, knocking back some SanMiguels.

I'll ask my FIL today when I see him. He may be able to set you up with some F/A afficanidos.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Your going to leave the hotel?

[

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:00:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Killing hoodlum thugs would burn up alot of time over there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hmmm Never did the tourist thing. I hear that  Angels is a nice place to spend the day, knocking back some SanMiguels.

I'll ask my FIL today when I see him. He may be able to set you up with some F/A afficanidos.

I'll be drinking plenty of San Miguel but we're really not doing the tourist thing.  It's my first time there and we are going to just spent time together getting to know each other better.  We're having a romantic picnic in Tagatay at her landladys cottage on Tuesday, Going to Subic Bay to a beach front hotel on Wednesday and Thursday, then spending the rest of the week/weekend together at the hotel.

Yea, I'd really LOVE to play with some MG's there if possible.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

WTF is wrong with you?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:14:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me see......

Girl + PI = ????????

You might be about 14,  right?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Let me see......

Girl + PI = ????????

You might be about 14,  right?

Auf English, Bitte?

Actually, 28...marketing director for MGI, single and SMOKING HOT.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:23:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF is wrong with you?

I'm a troll?
Just watch what neiborhoods you enter and always keep your wallet in your FRONT pocket.
ETA: After rethinking maybe your right....go and be oblivious to the corruption in the country..flash hundred dollar bills around while walking down the street..And don't forget to let everyone know your a rich american.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:33:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:36:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Baguio, Manila esp Rizall Park and Corregidor. And do watch your wallet!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:38:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry guy, I haven't been myself lately but seriously I wish you luck.
Some news from Manilla

Again sorry for being a prick.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:39:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#13]
This might help.
travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_2190.html

It's always been risky to travel in the south, but Metro Manila/Makati are safer than most areas. Just stay out of the slums, like Tondo. The area by the Mandarin in Makati is probably the nicest area in the Philippines. That's a first rate hotel so expect to be treated well. There are some very nice restaurants and clubs in that area as well.

Tagaytay is cool. Check out the little zoo up there. Bring mosquito spray.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket and your money on one of those things that hang around your neck.

Stay out of jeepneys.

Find an Aussie and tell him you're American. He will probably buy you a beer.

Oh, the San Miguel they serve is not the same as what they export. The local brew is nasty swill. Stick with booze.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I was there about 97, I sure the climate has changed a lot. I was with family (in laws) and I am pretty easy to pick out in a Filipino crowd. My wifes Uncle provided us with a bodyguard/driver and I was always packing a 1911.

2nd day in Manilla, the bank across the street was robbed, it was reported that it was one of the extremist gurilla groups did it...dont remember the name tho. Spent the next week in a family compound shooting m-16's. Worked out good for me!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:56:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm totally ignorant...I know I'd blend in perfectly in the PI, but how safe is it for American "non-Asians" in regards to Abu Sayef?

They'll spot you by your cloths.

Muslim extremists have always been an issue in Mindanao. In Manila it is less of an issue, although there are other scumbags to worry about.

There are plenty of foreign business people in Manila, less so in the provinces. If he stays in Manila (especially Makati), he will not stand out as much.

The primary target for kidnappings are Chinese who live in the Philippines.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:31:04 AM EDT
[#16]
As far as places to shoot, you might get some replies if you pose this question at the Band of Glockers forum at glocktalk
DD
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Not trying to start anything but

I was wondering if this is a internet girlfriend or
order by mail bride type of thing??

Just curious
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Won't your girlfriend in Niagara Falls be jealous?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So far, we only have plans to goto Tagatay and Subic Bay for a night....the rest of the time at the Makati Mandarin Oriental Hotel.  What other places are a must see for a first time tourist to the Philippines?

Since you're only staying for a week, I think Tagaytay, Subic and Makati pretty much covers it.

A visit to Tagaytay may take a better part of a half a day to a day depending on how hectic you would like the trip to be. Basically, traffic will dictate whether you can do a quick tour of the spot. It is not far tho.  

Subic is definitely an overnighter since it is farther away from Manila. There is a gun range there that rents out FA AR15's. I don't know tho what the name of the place is since i haven't had the chance to try it out. Ask around there.

Makati ... you are pretty much in the heart of the commercial / business area in Makati. Glorietta Mall is a great place to shop and get everything you may need. It's about 5 -10 min. by cab from your hotel... depending on traffic.

My gf asked if I wanted to go shooting, she's never tried it before but she's interested in learning.  Are there any gun ranges that rent handguns in the Metro Manila area?

The only indoor range I can think of are the JETHRO (Dionisio) ranges. They have handguns that you can rent.  They have one in Makati Cinema Square. But don't expect too much from the facilities tho.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just watch what neiborhoods you enter and always keep your wallet in your FRONT pocket.

I Think the statement pretty much applies to ANY country you go to. Petty thievery is not exclusive in the Philippines.

ETA: After rethinking maybe your right....go and be oblivious to the corruption in the country..flash hundred dollar bills around while walking down the street..And don't forget to let everyone know your a rich american.

Not ALL Filipinos are blinded by the mighty american dollar.

The Makati area is relatively a safe place. Ayala Malls are known for their tight security. You will be ok in that area.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm totally ignorant...I know I'd blend in perfectly in the PI, but how safe is it for American "non-Asians" in regards to Abu Sayef?

The Abu Sayaf are basically BANDITS claiming to be jihadists. While they are reported by media to have some members in the metropolis, they basically confine their kidnappings in Mindanao (a large island in the south) since that is where their base of operation is. There are Cities in Mindanao which are predominantly muslim. They blend well there and hence escape the authorities easily.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Just curious

+1

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They'll spot you by your cloths.

Muslim extremists have always been an issue in Mindanao. In Manila it is less of an issue, although there are other scumbags to worry about.

There are plenty of foreign business people in Manila, less so in the provinces. If he stays in Manila (especially Makati), he will not stand out as much.

The primary target for kidnappings are Chinese who live in the Philippines.

You pretty much know your stuff dont you   ...  That basically sums it up.

While Makati City in Manila .... Subic .... Tagaytay are relatively safe places to go to, CAUTION and COMMON SENSE will never hurt! I cannot say 100% with certainty that you will not encounter an asshole. They are out there. BUT doesn't EVERY COUNTRY have one.

If you KNOW and TRUST your girlfriend, then I am sure she will keep you out of harms way. She will avoid taking you to places that may put you in a bind.

With all due respect to your girlfriend ... that is actually the most crucial question to ask yourself right now .... do you trust your girlfriend enough?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, there's rental ranges (pistol and rifle) in Makati, a few of my friends have gone there but I haven't made it yet. When are you going? I might be able to get you a location before you leave. As for other places to go, check out the Greenbelt(s) while you're in Makati. Other great places to see are Batlag (sp) Falls and Corrigador. It's a great country, hope you have a good time!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#28]
The Phillipines never struck me as a place to take a girlfriend.  It was always a place to score about 10-20 pieces of tail  Of course that was during the Cold War...  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Ya have fun, and make sure you read the state departments websites about threats....All on here are not ignorant.

If it were me, I sure would be looking for another place to go on vacation.

It is not what it used to be.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#30]
If it were me I wouldn't leave the hotel room.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Sorry guy, I haven't been myself lately but seriously I wish you luck.
Some news from Manilla

Again sorry for being a prick.

First of all, I'm Fil-Am myself.

Secondly, I travel smart.  All my pants that I'm going to wear out have buttons on the pockets.

Thirdly, my girlfriend lives in Metro Manila, ie Makati....the upscale business district.

Travelling smart and safe has nothing to do with luck.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Just curious

Gf I met in HK on business that turned into pleasure.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

With all due respect to your girlfriend ... that is actually the most crucial question to ask yourself right now .... do you trust your girlfriend enough?

Absotively!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Won't your girlfriend in Niagara Falls be jealous?

He's saying, that in addition to the NUMEROUS girls in the Niagra Falls area, that you Brian are currently riding the hobby horse.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yeah, there's rental ranges (pistol and rifle) in Makati, a few of my friends have gone there but I haven't made it yet. When are you going? I might be able to get you a location before you leave.  It's a great country, hope you have a good time!

Leaving Saturday afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The Phillipines never struck me as a place to take a girlfriend.  It was always a place to score about 10-20 pieces of tail  Of course that was during the Cold War...  

She filipina and lives in Makati.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Your Fil-Am and haven't a clue on where to go or not go?  Taking a balikbayan(?) box? (My next to last trip into Manila, our stuff must have been the first loaded on the plane in LA because it was almost the last off, must have been close to a thousand of those damn boxes coming (ok probably 300 or so it just seemed like a thousand) before our luggage finally made it off.

Intramuros, Corregidor(by boat), Bataan may be a little iffy (ask me about where I ran into the NPA)especially if you get off the main road and the Death March route into the interior, Baguio, the resorts in the Subic/Olongapo area are supposed to be pretty nice.  Lake Laguna and the Mt. Toyon?  (don't remember the names but southeast of Manila.  Pasajan Falls if she hasn't been there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Your Fil-Am and haven't a clue on where to go or not go?  Taking a balikbayan(?) box? (My next to last trip into Manila, our stuff must have been the first loaded on the plane in LA because it was almost the last off, must have been close to a thousand of those damn boxes coming (ok probably 300 or so it just seemed like a thousand) before our luggage finally made it off.

Intramuros, Corregidor(by boat), Bataan may be a little iffy (ask me about where I ran into the NPA)especially if you get off the main road and the Death March route into the interior, Baguio, the resorts in the Subic/Olongapo area are supposed to be pretty nice.  Lake Laguna and the Mt. Toyon?  (don't remember the names but southeast of Manila.  Pasajan Falls if she hasn't been there.

2nd Gen.  All I really know, culturally, is the American way of life.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, there's rental ranges (pistol and rifle) in Makati, a few of my friends have gone there but I haven't made it yet. When are you going? I might be able to get you a location before you leave.  It's a great country, hope you have a good time!

This Sat? Wifeypoo reminded me today the FIL is in Cali and will be flying home Sunday night.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Auf English Englisch, Bitte?

Auf Deutsch!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Start practicing your tagalog now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Dog really isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This Sat? Wifeypoo reminded me today the FIL is in Cali and will be flying home Sunday night.

I will leaving Saturday, will be arriving Monday and I'll be there until next Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#44]

What to do for a week in the Philippines with my Girlfriend?

I'm afraid you are beyond the help of any member of AR15.com if you need us to tell you the answer to that question.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Any suggestions from the night crew?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absotively!

There you have it then!  Rest easy and enjoy your stay. Give me a call if I can help you in any way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2nd Gen.  All I really know, culturally, is the American way of life.

Well get a good briefing on some of the local legal differences.  Estafa and Verbal Defamation of character come to mind.  Also make sure you get a good briefing on weapons laws.  You don't want to accidentally break one and get put in a position where bribery is hinted.

Pancit Singapore, the Coca-Colas are different more cane sugar and less carbonation, the way Cokes should taste.  I never came down with any reactions to food or water, I knew guys that ate the same things I did that  had big problems.    If you get shrimp or lobster make sure it is cleaned adequately.  BTW, I had some great seafood dinners over there.  Take decongestants, going in and out of overly airconditioned buildings  can catch up with you.

Garlic peanuts up in San Fernando, Pampanga.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#48]

shooting in PI?!?

good luck
PI has some of the strictest gun laws i have ever seen; (hell, it took my cousin 2 yrs to get a CCW licence and he paid $900 for a G26

there are indoor ranges around that i saw near Quezon City--but i would expect them to be quite expensive to rent/use
dont remember any in Makati, but i do remember that they had lots of pirated/cheap stuff there

i didnt do much touring (schooled at LaSalle for a semester), but the Province is nice, kinda plain, but it beats the hell out of manila imo; bagio is ok, but the weather sucked (rain and cold weather)

PI is becoming too roudy for me--between the govt/president arroyo acting all F'ed up, there is abu sayaff running around, your common criminals, traffic, easily bribed cops, polution, and typhoo season (just ended i think....)

but the folks are friendly  and the food is good and cheap

personally, i would not flash my cash around, lest you get mugged

wonder what the dollar-peso ratio is....it was 52 to $1 when i left....

the coke ther suck--not enough carbination

watch yourself--some of the local cops might be looking for money and accuse you of something and ask for a bribe; gun laws suck, so watch the weapons; dont loose track of your stuff; its going to be hot there for "fall"--although money talks, its still good to have connections there

when you get to Manila International, they might still be testing for SARS

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Any suggestions from the night crew?

Schmeg, what are your interests when you travel to another country? I don't really know where to start in trying to suggest an activity for your trip. Are you into shopping for clothes? Designer clothes or knock-offs? Are you into seeing the sights? Would you rather engage in some sporting activity (shooting)? Are you into some night life?

If you are into the "outdoor" type, then Subic will pretty much be an "ok" place for you to go to. But be advised that this week, it has been raining continuously here in Manila. I hope the weather improves when you get here.

If you are into some shopping, them the malls in Makati will pretty much cover all your wants and needs for designer items. Ayala Mall, SM Mall and Greenbelt Mall. For knock-offs, have your girlfriend take you to Greenhills Mall. For knock-off DVD movies, have her take you in Makati Cinema Square (but be sure to have her haggle for you). The vendors may charge you a higher price seeing that you are not a local.

For some nightlife .... i'm sorry but i'm out of the loop on that one ... I will have to consult some friends on what the IN places are noiwadays.

Firing / shooting ... as I mentioned, the only indoor range you will find here in the City are the Jethro ranges. They have house guns you can rent. But mostly limited to .45 cal. It may be too big for your girlfriend. And, they do not have and allow rifles. While there are outdoor ranges here, the only one nearest I can think of is at the Army Adventure near Fort Bonifacio. But, it is just a range. You have to have your own gun. But as I mentioned, i think Subic has one too that even rents out m16s.

I am hessitant to recommend Corregidor to you because I do not know if you are a WW II enthusiast. It's a great way to spend a day, but it's just basically just  a historic site full of ruins.

Baguio City (a favorite summer spot of many) is also an option. But it is relatively far and will take you about 5 hours to get there. So, going there will mean 2 days at the minimum out of your whole stay here.

Tell your girlfriend to take you to that breakfast place ANTONIOS in Tagaytay. Great food, great view!

Thats about it i guess. Since going to Davao, Cebu or Bohol is out of the question given your limited time.

[ETA] Dont forget to take home a BALISONG (fan knife) from Batangas as a souvenir. Just don't carry it on your person while you are going around here. The malls have metal detectors and stop and frisk searches as a security precaution.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

shooting in PI?!?

It can actually be done.

good luck
PI has some of the strictest gun laws i have ever seen;

Strict and VERY FICKLE! Interpretation of the law depends on the Chief of Police in power.

(hell, it took my cousin 2 yrs to get a CCW licence and he paid $900 for a G26

Wrong, it costs P 6 - 9,000.00 Depending on how you choose to go about it!

there are indoor ranges around that i saw near Quezon City--but i would expect them to be quite expensive to rent/use
dont remember any in Makati,

Makati Cinema Square has one in the basement. Not at all expensive. But no rifles and I do not know what house guns they have availkable.

but i do remember that they had lots of pirated/cheap stuff there

Yes, thats in the same building as above. Also have that in Greenhills Mall.

i didnt do much touring (schooled at LaSalle for a semester), but the Province is nice, kinda plain, but it beats the hell out of manila imo; bagio is ok, but the weather sucked (rain and cold weather)

It is still rainy these days.

PI is becoming too roudy for me--between the govt/president arroyo acting all F'ed up, there is abu sayaff running around, your common criminals, traffic, easily bribed cops, polution, and typhoo season (just ended i think....)

but the folks are friendly  and the food is good and cheap

Yes, the government can be frustrating, but WE in government service try to do our bit to clean up the system. But we have a looong way to go.

personally, i would not flash my cash around, lest you get mugged

It is not wise to flash your cash around ANYWHERE in the world.

wonder what the dollar-peso ratio is....it was 52 to $1 when i left....

Its now P56 to the $1.

the coke ther suck--not enough carbination

I never noticed.

watch yourself--some of the local cops might be looking for money and accuse you of something and ask for a bribe; gun laws suck, so watch the weapons; dont loose track of your stuff; its going to be hot there for "fall"--although money talks, its still good to have connections there

when you get to Manila International, they might still be testing for SARS

Yup, they do that in ALL the airports around ASIA.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top